EGR valve......

Haxir

:
mazdaspeed 3 GT 2008 CWP
So i took my car (08 MSP3) in today for its 30,000 mile check up. Had them check my 'check engine' light problem where it kept turning off and on randomly. Auto zone had plugged into it sayin it was just a fuse that was triggering it, but Mazda dealership says it's a bad EGR valve... estimated 650 bucks. The car only has 36,080 miles on it. I'm just 80 miles off from my warrenty.... go figure, i wish they could have had a bit of compassion and just covered it, with it being just a few miles over. But maybe i can call someone to ask. Reguardless, i was looking into this valve thing, and people said that you can just clean it, and it could be fine. Considering how new my car is, its hard to believe a part has already gone bad... Maybe a sales gimmick? What are peoples experience with this part? And any advice on the whole warrent thing?

Clean it. Its really easy to do. After about 36K miles too, my light came on. There is a FSM section on cleaning it somewhere on these forums (sorry i cant just hyperlink it here). Take the top (plastic) portion of the egr valve and test the resistance on it with a multimeter also to make sure it's within spec. If that parts bad then yeah, you'll need a new one. It's probably better to take the "valve" section of the egr to get hot tanked because I bought brake cleaner and Deep Creep to clean it and it didn't really work. The carbon build up wasn't all that bad, but a layer had "hardened" onto the shaft and needed to be scrapped off (i used a small screwdriver).

Cleaning it should probably done periodically as maintenance. I'll probably be doing it about every 10-15K or when the cel light comes on, probably the latter, as i am lazy.

Last edited:
I just got the egr CEL today, I'm at 45k. Seems like alot of people have this issue around 35-45k.......just out of warranty (EGR not covered under powertrain). I'm going to take the valve out and clean it up on friday and then run some seafoam through.

EGR is covered under emissions warranty, which is ALOT longer.

Actually, in California the warranty period for the emissions components is longer than most other states 7years/70Kmiles. The regular warranty period for the first teir of emissions components, includes the EGR is only 24K miles or 24 months. There is also a 96months/80K miles warranty teir and that covers only the catalytic converter, electronic emissions control unit, and the onboard emissions diagnostic device. I tried calling my local mazda dealer and asked it they would cover it under the powertrain warranty, they confirmed with someone else there, a manager i assume, and it was not.

But yeah, cleaning it every now and then is not too bad, as long as the "plug in" portion of the unit tests within spec....

source: 2007 Mazda Warranty Information manual

Last edited:
correct EGR will be covered under power train warranty, atleast that's what my dealer told me.

Really???I'm suprised that they didn't cover it....huh...that's news to me.

U sure it's egr valve?? It could be egr purge solenoid valve? Try to fill the tank in full and start the car if it's running rough then 100%. It's the egr purge solenoid valve!!!!

The EGR is part of the emissions system. I think you'll find it has a 100K warranty. The O/M should confirm this.

Told by my dealer that the EGR was not covered under the powertrain warranty, and I looked in the manual, turns out it's only covered for 24k miles under the emissions warranty. Anyway, I took everything apart tonight and cleaned it up. Sprayed a bunch of brake clean in and used a pipe cleaner to scrape out most of the gunk, also took the egr pipe off and flushed it with brake clean, there was a nice little pile of carbon buildup right where the pipe bolts on just like in the how-to. Slapped everything back together and topped off the coolant (FL22 from the dealer), so far so good, no CEL.

I called Mazda's warrenty department, and spoke to them about how close I was to warrenty so they just fixed it for free. Didn't mention it being under emissions, which was nice because powertrain was 36k miles and like everyone is saying, the emissions is only 24k so I guess I lucked out. But apparently in the future, I have a feeling it'll probably flash the CEL again in another 35k miles at which point i'll just have to try to clean it. Pretty lame that a part like this only lasts 35k miles.. What can ya do........

Back