Mazda3 2.5T ECU adjustment to octane level in 2.5T

Hey guys, I didn't see where this has been talked about much here, but I am curious. Since the hp/tq ratings go up or down based on the octane level (87/93) for the Mazda3 2.5t would it be safe to assume that you could hypothetically use higher octane fuel such as unleaded 100 octane (just happens to be offered at a gas station near by) and see higher numbers? Would the ECU be able to adjust by itself, or would it need to be supplemented by a tune to prevent knocking or detonation issues?

It is possible, but unlikely, that octane higher than 93 will result in additional power on a stock vehicle. Most OEM ECUs have a target boost level and ignition timing advance value. They typically don't overshoot these values.

Ah I see, so even if I were to put higher octane fuel in, the ECU would still limit everything to whatever the max target/values are set to potentially? That's interesting. This is my first experience with a car that the manufacturer actually specifies gains by using 93 vs 87, so it made me curious.

Back