E-Brake/ Clutch Walk through?

dugie33

:
2003 MP5
Well its spring time here in Canada and with the warmer weather on the way, a new job over the winter and overtime every week its time to start working on my '03 Protege5 again. So my first project is my ebrake cables as none of them work, and i used tranny as a brake while working on car which did not turn out well (aka need a new clutch now). So i went ahead and ordered the E-brake cables and they should be here next week.... I ordered front and both rears. I am looking for a walk through of replacing them though and am having no luck finding one. Was wondering if anyone had some pictures or a video of how to do so?

Btw they are freakin expensive almost $200 for 3 cables 0_o. Next project is the clutch which I got for $172.00 for a full kit, pressure plate, release bearing, clutch, alignment tool, and all hardware required. So i am very happy about that.

I don't have any pictures or links for you but I did work on the cables and ran into one major issue. The heat shield in the middle of the car under the shifter needs to be removed (or at least moved) to gain access to the cables. On my car (and I'm pretty sure your car too,.. it's Canada Eh!) all four weld nuts holding on the heat shield broke loose and the bolts just started spinning.

I don't think there is any way to get to the nuts or even spray some PB Blaster (now available at CT) on them so I ended up cutting slots from the bolt hole to the edge of the shield with my rotary tool. Luckily the bolts had loosened enough to allow the shield to slide out under the bolt heads and the shield has enough slack in it to get each corner out one at a time. Some guys remove the shield entirely and leave it off but I wanted to re install it to help protect the shifter and cables a bit. The slots I cut in the shield, slide back under the bolt heads and allowed me to re install the shield. I wrapped some wire under the bolt head and around the shield a bit to take up the slack and prevent rattling or falling off.

Other than all the rust related issues I'm sure you'll run into,... the cable swap is pretty straight forward. It's the clutch job that sounds like big piles of work. Maybe you could make a special Canadian How-To for the clutch job emphasizing all the rust related issues you're sure to run into.

Leaving it resting on the gear on a hill will hurt the trans not the clutch, its actually just about impossible for that to damage the clutch

Well i used car in gear as ebrake while torquing on my rusted alternator bolt. Snap and car would no longer move.... It goes in gear engages, and stalls when u let off clutch but no transfer to wheels.....

Dang...wish you would have posted a wanted to buy thread...I would have sold you full ebrake cables cheap...

only problem is that id get nailed with brokerage if i bought from you lmao. Gotta love those customs :( Boooo! what happened to free trade? lol

Well what a freakin morning. My car is currently at my buddys shop and thank god for that. I live in an apartment and my neighbours have been messing with my '00 Dodge Durange SLT, well sway bar snapped.... Looks like its halfway cut through filed police report but because i dont have a video or picture they say they cannot charge them.... So until i put an end to this cars not comming home..... :(

Back