Seized brake caliper and squishy brake pedal

smetzger

03 P5 (x2), 09 Miata, 07 Mazda3, 13 Fit, 09 Ody
Replaced rear brake pads
both rear calipers
right rear brake line

Everything worked fine for about 150 miles....then....
Left rear caliper seized and the person who was driving it said there was noticeable 'smoke' coming from the left rear wheel.

The brake pedal is very soft and squishy now.

I have a replacement caliper on order.... but what about that soft brake pedal?
Could that be from the boiling the brake fluid? Level of brake fluid looks good.

Thanks

On which car?

This may or may not help, but many years ago, on a non Mazda vehicle, I had a similar problem with a caliper that got stuck. The caliper would not let go when releasing the brake pedal.
Same issue with a new caliper.
problem turned out to be a collapsed rubber brake line. It looked fine from the outside, but the brake line internally had separated. Brake fluid pressure allowed the fluid to go into the caliper, but when I removed my foot off the brake, the collapsed line wouldn't let the fluid flow back out of the caliper.
The brakes were always engaged, and heated up like a furnace. $20 brakeline fixed the problem.
You said you replaced one brakeline. You should probably have replaced both sides.

Reactions: pcb
On which car?

This may or may not help, but many years ago, on a non Mazda vehicle, I had a similar problem with a caliper that got stuck. The caliper would not let go when releasing the brake pedal.
Same issue with a new caliper.
problem turned out to be a collapsed rubber brake line. It looked fine from the outside, but the brake line internally had separated. Brake fluid pressure allowed the fluid to go into the caliper, but when I removed my foot off the brake, the collapsed line wouldn't let the fluid flow back out of the caliper.
The brakes were always engaged, and heated up like a furnace. $20 brakeline fixed the problem.
You said you replaced one brakeline. You should probably have replaced both sides.

This is on the 03 automatic P5.
hmmm, maybe.
Checked again and the brake fluid was way low, so pretty sure it boiled off.

I've got a replacement caliper on the way... if that doesn't work then I'll try a new brake line. Fortunately I have plenty of cars and can let this one sit until parts com in.

Well....
Caliper came in and it wouldn't fit over the brake pads and rotor... tried compressing the piston and it wouldn't go in any further. (NUGEON brand)

Ordered another one (RAYSBESTOS) ... looks to be same issue... measured, have not tried to install.... but looks like I need another 3.5mm

Either their re-building them with pistons that are too long or
I am doing something wrong or
I have the wrong brake pads and they are too think

It was the brake calipers... so I got 3 bad calipers in a row from 2 different manufacturers.

Just got a new one from Advance Auto.... see how the piston is fully in on the first pic but sticks out on the 2nd pic... I tried pushing that 2nd one in w/o it connected to the car and had the brake line bolt out... no go it would not compress further.

Strongly suspect the actual piston is too long. Anyway looks like there are some bad batches of calipers. So, check calipers you buy before installing.

20231013_152042[1].jpg
20231013_152000[1].jpg

This may have been a result of the ebrake adjustment not being set correctly.

Which brings me to my next question...
ebrake adjustment....
Directions I have are to tighten until the wheel cannot be moved by hand and then loosen it.

Do I loosen it just a little (and the rotor still drags a little on the pads) or should I loosen it all the way until their is no dragging on the pads?

This may have been a result of the ebrake adjustment not being set correctly.

Which brings me to my next question...
ebrake adjustment....
Directions I have are to tighten until the wheel cannot be moved by hand and then loosen it.

Do I loosen it just a little (and the rotor still drags a little on the pads) or should I loosen it all the way until their is no dragging on the pads?
Typically you'd want to tighten it up until snug, then back it up a half turn. You'll still feel slight drag, but that is normal.

Latest posts

Back