Dynotronics setting up a GB soon for SA

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
Just wanted to let people know Dynotronics will be setting up a group buy (so far not specific) for the SA motor. My guess is tuning, but we will see. I'll keep it posted for those interested, I may have to put my Corksport RSB on hold until I see what it is.

No way this is worth the money.

Come on guys how much can one actually think this will improve power without some compromise like gas mileage for power? It's a little 2.0 liter 4 tuned for low-mid range torque pulling a 3200-3450 lb SUV. Even going from the 2.0 to the 2.5 doesn't feel like a huge difference and that is a 29 lb ft of torque and 34 horsepower gain. Realistically you're looking at like a 5 horsepower gain at very high RPM unless you do major stuff like camshafts and cylinder heads along with headers and intake. $$$$$

Maybe someone can do a before and after run on a dynamometer that isn't truncated to prove me wrong. I think the only way someone could get some serious power from this mill is if they put forced induction on it and that ain't going to happen with a stock 13-1 compression ratio.

Yea, but why would you change out engine internals or even try Fi if you couldn't tune the engine. Now that tuning is available those opportunities open.

Chris, you would need to do all of that in order to gain anything significant and with just 2.0 liters to work with in a heavy vehicle it's probably not worth it. Now make that little 2.0 spin in a light weight vehicle like the Miata by doing all these modifications and then you have something.

Obviously this is just my opinion and who knows maybe there's 15 horsepower to be had with a 93 Octane tune but with the way Mazda has already gotten so much out of these engines it just seems unlikely.

Edit: I just had a thought that if you reduced your rotational mass like going with very light weight wheels like MikeM did than you would make the CX5 feel more lively when accelerating and improve your city mileage as well.

Last edited:
Come on guys how much can one actually think this will improve power without some compromise like gas mileage for power? It's a little 2.0 liter 4 tuned for low-mid range torque pulling a 3200-3450 lb SUV. Even going from the 2.0 to the 2.5 doesn't feel like a huge difference and that is a 29 lb ft of torque and 34 horsepower gain. Realistically you're looking at like a 5 horsepower gain at very high RPM unless you do major stuff like camshafts and cylinder heads along with headers and intake. $$$$$

Maybe someone can do a before and after run on a dynamometer that isn't truncated to prove me wrong. I think the only way someone could get some serious power from this mill is if they put forced induction on it and that ain't going to happen with a stock 13-1 compression ratio.

to a true ricer every bit of hp counts ;)

Btw, Check out my build thred MSDS is saying that they have headers compatible with 2.0 sky

Chris, any updates on this tune yet? I contacted them and it is in fact available for the 2.5 also. Just waiting for the Racing Beat muffler to get off back order before I do mine!

Edit: I just had a thought that if you reduced your rotational mass like going with very light weight wheels like MikeM did than you would make the CX5 feel more lively when accelerating and improve your city mileage as well.

That is a very good idea. I bought a 1990 brand new and went to lightweight five star aluminum rims (7 pounds less per rim) and you could feel the difference in the seat of your pants. That was with a 5.0L engine so you know it would be VERY noticable in a 2.0L vehicle. Also 17 inch rims will deliver more torque to the road than 19 rims.

Find the lightest 17 inch rims you can find and you will be surprised at the difference.

Back