Dyno day this week!

MSP Kirk

Contributor
:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
I've been a bad member and haven't updated my build thread in a long time, so I figured I'd just start a new thread to post the results up from the long awaited dyno tuning. My car has been at the tuner shop for over a month and he assures me it is getting tuned this week. This has been a long process to finally get my car tuned and running strong, so I am really looking forward to seeing the results of all my money, time and hard work! Feel free to post your guesses on how much power I will make!

My performance mods are:
-Fully built short block (K1 rods, Wiseco 8.5:1 pistons, K1 2.1L stroker crank[the only one installed ever!])
-Fully ported and polished head (5 angle valve job, titanium retainers, etc)
-FI Twiggy Cams
-GT28RS 64 A/R
-505 sheet metal intake manifold
-MAM tubular exhaust manifold ceramic coated
-iON Turbo-back 3" exhaust
-iON cold air intake
-Turbolife Perrin replica frount mount intercooler
-Haltech Platinum Sport 1000
-Greddy EBC set @ 20 psi
-Greddy Type-S BOV
-Mishimoto radiator
-550 CC Injectors
-Perrin Fuel rail
-Walbro Fuel pump
-Fidanza 7lbs flywheel
-Exedy Stage 2 Clutch
-Welded LSD
-95 Durometer front and rear engine mounts
-I think thats it for performance...

As you can see this isn't going to be a real hp monster, I wanted to make power, but not have to wait until 5000 rpm for it to come. I'm shooting for 250-350 whp. I hope to have the results up by the end of the week.

youll smoke 250whp. youd clear 250whp on a GT25 at 12psi with those mods.
im guessing youll be... mmmm... 350whp@20psi. would have said 330 but the stroker kit should make it interesting. having the cams and the 505 will help a lot too. you might even break 350 - both the 505 and the cams are good for 15-25 whp each.

Well to tell you the truth I am shooting for 350 but I just wanted to guess low then I wont be disappointed if it's lower than 350 haha

im no pro on forged builds (i was planning for high 200's on the stock block), but im thinking if youre under 320whp you should find a new tuner.

my guess is as far as those 550s will take you at a safe duty cycle. have you checked your fuel pressure while boosting 20psi? if you know your fuel pressure under max boost then we can work out a max whp ballpark at certain duty cycle from rc engineerings website calculator.

at 63psi rail pressure under boost with 80% duty cycle you would be looking around ~340 FLYWHEEL with 550s. bsfc 0.60

so from what that online calculator is telling me you aint gonna get near 350WHP without rediculous duty cycle and more fuel pressure.

IMO its time to buy injectors for 350whp. not worth running stupid high pressure and / or duty cycle.

Last edited:
@ what fuel pressure and what injector duty cycle? at 99% duty cycle and with 63psi rail pressure you can make ~415 flywheel ~352whp

but we all knows what happens with static injectors..so you would think OK just bump up the fuel pressure, but there are negatives to that as well that whoever is tuning the car for him should know all about and I guess make an educated decision on whether or not his current fuel system can handle additional fuel pressure.

I have no idea what my fuel pressure is at 20psi... Although my tuner did say that the injectors are going to be the bottleneck in making big horsepower

im a little surprised about the injectors, but like i said, ive been wrong before and im sure ill be wrong again.

As you can see this isn't going to be a real hp monster, I wanted to make power, but not have to wait until 5000 rpm for it to come. I'm shooting for 250-350 whp. I hope to have the results up by the end of the week.

LOL whaaaaaaaaaat? For an MSP that thing will kick ass dude. Won't be the highest HP achieved on our car, but certainly will rip the tires to shreds.. LOVE IT.

it could be the highest whp MSP if he really wanted it to, but it would almost definitely involve changing to t3 flange.

miguels car doesnt have twiggy cams OR the stroker kit... and like i mentioned, those will help a LOT.

LOL whaaaaaaaaaat? For an MSP that thing will kick ass dude. Won't be the highest HP achieved on our car, but certainly will rip the tires to shreds.. LOVE IT.

Ha ha thanks, but in comparison to Miguels or SignatureSound it's moderate, but that's just how I want it :)

it could be the highest whp MSP if he really wanted it to, but it would almost definitely involve changing to t3 flange.

miguels car doesnt have twiggy cams OR the stroker kit... and like i mentioned, those will help a LOT.

Ya I once thought about getting a real big turbo and trying to make as much power as I could but since than I've realized this car just isn't meant for that.

As unfortunate as it is, I think once I tie up the loose ends on this car I will be selling it. As much fun as its been, its just been such a money sink, and there are other cars with so much more potential. My Dad got a 135i a little while ago and I was checkin out those forums, with only down pipes, chip, intake and meth they're making 400whp. My dad is going to be selling his in a year or two soo...

As unfortunate as it is, I think once I tie up the loose ends on this car I will be selling it. As much fun as its been, its just been such a money sink, and there are other cars with so much more potential.
exactly. thats why i sold mine when i did (both reasons). next project car for me wont be a daily, but itll go a lot faster than the MSP for a lot less money.

Back