drag racing tips

Damaga

Contributor
:
Titanium 03.5 MazdaSpeed
Might be going to dragway 42 (ohio) tonight.
You guys have any last minute tips for me? (i.e tire pressure, rpm at launch, what I shouldn't be doing, etc.) This would be my 1st time drag racing...
It's my daily driver so I don't want to fry anything...

thanks!

Tires down to about 25psi.

Rev to 3K and hold. Slip the clutch out, leaving the throttle where it is, until the clutch is fully engaged. Ease on the throttle until the end of 1st gear (to prevent wheelspin at the end of 1st). Shift to 2nd, and got WOT the rest of the way, shifting at ~6000 if you have the stock exhaust. Pulled a 15.02 with just the Injen doing that.

Good advice jersey, except id take it past 6k, no harm in doing so, and keeps you higher in the powerband between shifts. Shift as fast as you can, but be careful to not miss a gear.

I usually launch at about 2500, and slip it fast then ease on the throttle, i still get lots of spin though.. but 2.2 60fts and my ETs are coming down... 9.29 in the 1/8th.

Hmmm, I shift at 7000, I don't think the power drops off after 6000, I have the stocke exhaust. I don't necessarily think the power is still shooting up at that point, but it'll land me in a better spot for the next gear.

However, I ran a 15.05 with 9 psi and my custom intake, and you Jersey did better with just the Injen, so you're method must be pretty good.

im meeting up with some freidsn around 5 then driving there, we are in the canton/massillon area so 5+how ever long it takes us to get there. question for those who know. the temps today should be around 80, with 80% humidity. i have an injen cai. would i be better of putting the cone filter at the end of the maf or run the full intake. the filter doesnt go directly infront of the fans if u do this with the injen but its still warm air under the hood

03MSP said:
Hmmm, I shift at 7000, I don't think the power drops off after 6000, I have the stocke exhaust. I don't necessarily think the power is still shooting up at that point, but it'll land me in a better spot for the next gear.

However, I ran a 15.05 with 9 psi and my custom intake, and you Jersey did better with just the Injen, so you're method must be pretty good.

That was a fluke, I had a near-perfect launch, 2.21 sec 60' time. When I had the injen I was getting consistent 15.2-15.3's.

Dragway 42 is a SLOOOOW track...

15.95@87.88 mph, but my 60ft time was 2.284...not bad for a 1st time.

Was nice racing you INGREXCO!

My first time there was even slower...Probably because I had no freakin' idea what I was doing. If I remeber correctly my times were about 17@80 or something, I'd have to find my time slips. I kept spinning my tires at the line. Fun though. Either of you guys go to the autoXs? Just wondering what's up with this weekends. Later.
|

Back