DP Questions!

ONRAILS

:
06 Mazdaspeed 6
Hey guys/gals... got a couple of questions about the DP.

Wanted to have a CAT on there for emissions reason, that being said...

1. What gains/improvement will I see?
2. Is it worth paying $300?
3. 2.5 inch or 3 inch?
4. Is it necessary to get a CAT back exhaust then?
5. I would like to keep the MSP Exhaust tip and muffler... is that a problem?

Thanks,
Dave

1. you will see similar gains to a catless dp
2. yes, i like being able to breathe
3. 2.5" will be enough
4. no, but you will make more power
5. no, just get a custom catback made with your existing muffler

Last edited:
^----

what he said. I would keep the cat back the stock racing beat but upgrade the DP w/ Cat. This is a setup I'd like to do in the future sometime :D

-Fnny

Ok... where do I buy it? Does the Apex one come in 3 inch?
Leaving the catback on there... won't it restrict flow from the cat back? Going from 3 inch to 2.25 inch?

if you want to keep the stock catback i suggest go 2.5" w/ a cat.

s*** i missed answer 3..... time to edit :)

d_stickney said:
Ok... where do I buy it? Does the Apex one come in 3 inch?
Leaving the catback on there... won't it restrict flow from the cat back? Going from 3 inch to 2.25 inch?
Maybe to some degree,

but a 3 in is LOUD. I've said this numerous times before, but I rode in a Speed w/ the Apex 3 in DP w/ Spool Catback (3 in) and it was too loud for my tastes for a daily driver. That guy got a 2.5 w/ cat and kept stock catback and he said it's quieter than stock, but performs just the same

-fnny

I'm in the same boat. Either gonna get the catless midpipe for 299 or the Corksport system which includes that for 389. Can't decide though...(scratch)

the apex with cat is 2.5". I dont believe anyone makes a 3" dp with cat. but it wouldnt be hard to get one made.

it's pretty cheap to make a costum 2.5" piping after DP, you should expect to pay under a $100 plus you can get a good looking and sounding muffler for another $100 or so. IMO a worthy investment cause you will be able to see more gains with a turboback then just a dp. our stock mufflers are pretty restrictive as well.

marashka said:
it's pretty cheap to make a costum 2.5" piping after DP, you should expect to pay under a $100 plus you can get a good looking and sounding muffler for another $100 or so. IMO a worthy investment cause you will be able to see more gains with a turboback then just a dp. our stock mufflers are pretty restrictive as well.
hmm... interesting. What high flow muffler would you suggest? Also, is it possble to keep our tip?

i got the 3" apex N1 from summit racing the other day. My car is still at the dealership so i havent had time to get this setup installed but when i do ill upload some sounds for you

I'm contemplating the same install. 2.5" or 3" with no cats...... curious as to my options. I'm going to start my search.

d_stickney said:
hmm... interesting. What high flow muffler would you suggest? Also, is it possble to keep our tip?
i got a tsudo CF with titatium tip looks pretty mean and sound good...not too loud with the silencer in and not ricey sound either. there is ia web site you can get it from, for 120 shipped if you r interested i'll find a link for you.
i think its www.apexi.com but i'm not sure...
pesonally i do not like the oval 3.5 tip.....and titanium tip looks badass

Hey, I just ripped my cats off and with the Apex DP (2.5) alone, I think it is more than adequate. Noticible power gain and not that much louder (louder in a good way!!) Pigs hate loud exhaust and my friends have already got several noise tickets for 170 bucks+. For me, I am stopping here with the exhaust mods :)!

SuperSpud said:
the apex with cat is 2.5". I dont believe anyone makes a 3" dp with cat. but it wouldnt be hard to get one made.
no 3'' with cat? - ck ion they have a 3'' turbo and down pipe back system with cat.

i think i am going with the 2.5" DP with cat from APEX and the GREDDY SP2 Exhaust.....what are your thoughts on this??

FunSpeed said:
i think i am going with the 2.5" DP with cat from APEX and the GREDDY SP2 Exhaust.....what are your thoughts on this??
Sounds good... I am going to do the Apex DP, but not sure on the exhaust. Isn't that SP2 kinda pricey?

For now, I just may keep the cat back stock, hopefully it doesn't mess things up.

d_stickney said:
Sounds good... I am going to do the Apex DP, but not sure on the exhaust. Isn't that SP2 kinda pricey?

For now, I just may keep the cat back stock, hopefully it doesn't mess things up.
APEX will sell the GREDDY exhaust for $445....I plan on getting the DP first then saving some money and then going for the exhaust. Hopefully this plan will work!! (lol2)

I'm also gonna go with a catless downpipe and the greddy sp2. I already have Ion's 2.5 inch downpipe and it had made the biggest differnce to my car so far. It far surpasses the fmic in terms of power.

Back