Double DIN Touchscreen Android HU

kamui157

This has been in the car for about a month now and I'm only partially ok with it because there was a lot of bugs that the manufacturer didn't fix before releasing the HU.

It's a chinese brand headunit running an Android 4.04 system. Initially I wanted this to be my conceptual infotainment center. Headunit does it part by playing radio, DVD's, backup camera, ipod connectivity, and bluetooth calling (which it does fine). The android portion would have been my infotainment, GPS apps, ODB2 reader (dash command), video player, random android app/eye candy. The whole android side was big disappointment.

The install was fairly easy. I followed Kags1969's headunit install and everything went swimmingly.
Here's some pictures.

Installed, radio playing
20130304_170416.jpg

Main screen
20130304_170843.jpg

Bluetooth calling / streaming A2DP
20130304_171143.jpg

Backup Camera - Automatically switches when put into reverse
20130304_171157.jpg

Android part
20130304_170458.jpg

Navigation
20130304_170509.jpg

So the issues I've worked out is the headunit and the android portion are totally seperate from each other. Which can be fine but everytime I start/stop the car, the android side turns off and requires about 30-60 seconds to reboot itself (which is basically an eternity). Radio is quick to boot.
You cannot have audio from both sides at the same time, meaning if the radio is playing, you cannot have sound from the android side making the turn-by-turn navigation useless. The workaround for this is to load MP3's into the android side's sdcard slots so you can listen to some music in an app while having the GPS work.
Bluetooth isn't installed on the android side (!!) - This absolutely nullified my usage of ODB2 reader apps. Other people have had success with Wifi odb2 but I must've messed something up and my wifi doesn't work at all anymore. There are people on the XDA forums and manufacturer forum that working on it but it's been slow.
Navigation app speed is 1.8 times faster than actual. It was kinda funny when I was doing 60 and the app said I was at 100+. There has been a fix to this but requires rooting.
Oh, and radio reception is spotty sometimes.

Overall it's ok, but crippled because of the android stuff. I bought this HU before they had forums so i had no idea what I was getting into to. Wasn't until a few days after installing it that all these issues popped up. So if anyone is looking at these units, or any other chinese units android units from what I heard, don't bother. You'll probably be disappointed. (Unless they fix the bluetooth android part)...

kamui157....

Looks good, these were showing there faces when i was doing my tablet mod, but I didn't want to pay the costs they were initially coming in at.... shame it doesn't seemlessly work as the android in the phones does & the tablet. The camera in the rear of the tablet i am using would have been a reversing camera if i'd have done my first idea of taking the tablet apart & fitting the screen in the double din housing... Lets hope they keep the updates & bug fixes coming as the hardware look the bizniz....

Hope you dont mind me asking, how much do these units go for over there ?

Shaun.....

excellent honest write up. i saw these on ebay. It looks really nice actually, too bad it doesnt perform well. You keeping it? or going to go with something else?

I bought the Enco headunit for $340 shipped back in decemember. $26 for the bezel and a couple more dollars for the harnesses. Camera was about $20 but looks (is?) OEM. It's an ok headunit, and since I've devised all these workarounds, I'd hate to see it go. My wife likes the streaming music from her phone part and it's not too complicated to use.

excellent honest write up. i saw these on ebay. It looks really nice actually, too bad it doesnt perform well. You keeping it? or going to go with something else

Funny story about that. I had just gotten a phone that's pretty beefy in the power department and was thinking since my phone does everything I need it to do already (streaming music/videos/GPS/ODB2 etc), All I need is a headunit that has a radio and HDMI in. If I can control my phone from the headunit's touchscreen, then everything will work out. Well, I've been reading the Pioneer appradio 2 basically does this with a ARliberator app (touchscreen control). Bad reviews about the headunit itself cause it's pretty basic and the amout of nanny/nagging screens you need to go through, but once you install ARliberator (which is a $35 app...wtf) it opens up an entire new world of possibilities. I found a pretty good deal and it was backordered until 3/20/13. Well, I ordered it 3/18/13 thinking I can still cancel if I get everything working with the Enco in the next 2 days but at the end of the day 3/18/13 it freaking shipped!
So since this new HU is coming in 2 days, I'm gonna work on the Enco till then. I think I can get the wifi ODB2 working tonight but most likely I'll be switching to the pioneer and I'll sell the entire Enco package with bezel and all but w/o the camera, so it's basically plug and play if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Please keep me or us posted on the new pioneer unit. I saw that and was like "WOW" this thing is going to be awesome. . but then i read reviews on how it wasnt user friendly when you start using the android stuff from the phone.. but i handn't heard about that arliberator thing your talking about. Please let me know how it goes. I have a full JL Audio setup in my car but im running it off the stock radio so i'm looking to upgrade the headunit.

This might happen sooner than I thought. The headunit already arrived at my house last night, free one day shipping lol. Turns out my MHL adapter is an older gen and wont work on my new phone. Have another one ordered and should be here tomorrow.

I'm so close to getting the wifi obd2 working though.

Well, the new headunit is in and I'm liking it. So this ones for sale now.
There's a bunch of syncing stuff that takes about a minute to get working before I set off.

I do miss the streaming A2DP of the ENCO but all the extra stuff my phone can do overcomes this.
I'll do a review of the Appradio 2 in another thread.

Back