Double Din Aftermarket Installation?

syadasti

:
Saturn Vue V6 3.5L
Does anyone know from other Mazda models, is it easy to put a double din HU into them? Do you just need a dash adapter of some sorts with a mazda wiring harness?

I want to get the CX-7 with the regular single disc option and then put Pioneer AVIC-Z1 HU w/the bluetooth and rear view camera options - its got a better HDD based GPS system, 10GB free for mp3s, bluetooth, XM traffic integrations, probably much better sound than the bose, and other features...

Do you think its worth it to upgrade the speakers to aftermarket or the HU upgrade alone will improve the sound enough?

SEMAgadgets05_440.gif

Last edited:
Yeah I actually got the idea from seeing the install at the rav4world.com forum on a 06 RAV4.

Having a tough call between the V6 RAV4 and CX-7.

For CX7 - handling, braking, styling, features, ergonomics
For RAV4 - acceleration, price, mpg, uses 87, resale, cargo space

Also not sure if the AWD systems are really worth anything since its FWD most of the time and good snow tires would make a bigger difference?

any double din unit will fit a double din dash. however you may need a cage or some other apparatus to secure the aftermarket unit into the dash. if you do upgrade the headunit most of them have amplified outputs that surpass the stock radio's output. however, your stock speakers will be the next "bottleneck" since the audio is only as good as the speakers that drive them. idealy most drivers will do fine with a new headunit and upgraded speakers, unless you really want more "bump" in your ride.

for day-to-day driving, FWD with a good traction/stb control can sometimes equal the benefits of a basic AWD system. but AWD is most beneficial for snowy/icy roads where 2WD may not cut it. its up to you, i'd personally dont see a point in offering 2WD in an SUV or SUV-like vehicle because i'd only buy them for offroading or severe weather driving anyway. but i know thats not the case 90% of the buyers.

meGrimlock said:
for day-to-day driving, FWD with a good traction/stb control can sometimes equal the benefits of a basic AWD system. but AWD is most beneficial for snowy/icy roads where 2WD may not cut it. its up to you, i'd personally dont see a point in offering 2WD in an SUV or SUV-like vehicle because i'd only buy them for offroading or severe weather driving anyway. but i know thats not the case 90% of the buyers.

Well in the US wagons are not popular, so you can't get something similarly innovative (the old mazda 6 wagon is not as attractive) and they usually have less space.

CUVs offer more ground clearance than regular cars, but no multimode 4WD, low-range, locking hubs, etc. CUVs get much better mileage than truck based SUV and about the same as wagons - compare the Passat 3.6L V6 Wagon vs. the CX-7 for example...

In the Edmunds test the CX-7 was pretty damn good regardless of vehicle class. All performance numbers braking, slalom, acceleration, etc easily surpass the Mazda 6 V6 SEDAN they tested - a vehicle that weighs 750 lbs less than the CX-7!

The braking performance was 113 ft - 7.5ft shorter than the Mazda6 V6 sedan!

How about comparing to the WRX Edmunds tested in 2002:

Subaru WRX AWD 2002 3,085 lbs.
60-0 braking: 115 ft
Slalom: 64.5 mph

Mazda CX-7 AWD 2007 3929 lbs.
60-0 braking: 112.9 ft
Slalom: 64.3 mph

So if I bought a Mazda 6 sedan or wagon, I wouldn't be gaining anything AT ALL performance wise. Even a sports car like the WRX isn't too much faster in the slalom and worse braking though I would have better acceleration obviously...

(enguard)

Last edited:
yea, edmunds likes the cx-7. i personally havent warmed up to crossovers, but they are the wave of the future. more mfg are offering them with better fuel economy than truck-based SUVs while still retaining the cargo space and avoiding the "soccer mom" minivan looks. however if the trend continues, the crossovers will probably replace the minivan as the "soccer mom" icon. costs will be cut when they can share the platforms of their smaller brothers so there's definitely more crossovers to come. but i hope you dont plan on driving the cx-7 like a wrx cuz it still has a higher center of gravity and a bit bulkier. i'd pick up the AWD version cuz you'd be thanking it on the 1st icy day when winter rolls around.

Back