2017~2024 Do I need to replace the 4 tyres?

Hello all,

Thanks all for your replies.

Honestly I haven't decided yet what to do.

The new tyre has obviously a tread depth of 10/32" (0.31'") and the old ones 4/32".

Shaving is not an option here as nobody does it.

I am still 🤔.

Thanks and regards
4/32 is just about done. Here annual safety inspection says 4/32 is time to replace. Get 4 new tires! You will not be sorry

4/32nds is the legal minimum tread depth for Winter mountain driving in Colorado. Not sure what your driving weather is.

Tires are not something to be cheap about. Much cheaper for a new set than the cost of a repair/deductible if you were to have a crash. Besides, the OEM Toyo’s are nothing to write home about. Pick out a nice, new set of tires that improves handling and traction. You’ll be glad you did.

I'd do 4.

As an option, I wonder if 2 new on back makes some sense.. maybe less confusing to the awd. Would trigger AWD sooner? I'm speculating with this.

But. Perhaps most importantly, in emerg situation, back with more grip prevents spinning the tail out.

If the front 2 have more grip, you could slam brakes, the front would grip, but if tail starts to come out it could really come out. You'd spin like a top (in theory).

Sort of the same reasoning with winter rubber and FWD. On FWD cars, if mounting 2 winter tires, the recommendation is the two winter tires go on the rear (non drive wheels). Just for that reason, you don't want to invite spins. Wouldn't help you go in FWD, but dying from lack of "go" is less likely than dying from a spin out

I am sorry, but you really need to bite the bullet and get 4 new tires, especially if you live north of Toronto, as in your tag line. I know new P255/50R20 tires will be painful, and if you don't want to get winter tires, not sure what the provincial rules are, I would think a 3PMSF rated tire might suffice such as the Vredestein Quatrac Pro, for a nice balance of price and performance.

To sort of paraohrase another company, your tires really are the only thing between you and the road.

I’m with the others, 4/32 depth is nearly done for. Another vote for replacing all 4 tires.

Dear all,

Thanks to all for your advice.

Even though I made a mistake and my old tyres tread depth is 5/32 and not 4/32 as I have told you I will bite the bullet and take last comments advice, you cannot be cheap on safety.

By the way, the legal limit in Spain for tread depth is 1/16" (normal weather conditions).

Thanks again to all :)

I am sorry, but you really need to bite the bullet and get 4 new tires, especially if you live north of Toronto, as in your tag line.

Sorry to confuse, I was just giving thoughts for OP in my post.

Wife is from Quebec, so even if I didn't believe in winter tires, I'd still have them. But I do believe.

Have X-ice on CRV (that car is sitting now so I'm not going to swap this yr) and wanted X-ice for CX9 but at time couldn't find size (late 2019). I run DMV2s as a result, happy with them.

No...but did not like the stock tires. With only 5k on my 2019 Touring, replaced them with M. CrossClimate 2's . Note: my buddy owns a tire shop, so yes I got a good deal.

No...but did not like the stock tires. With only 5k on my 2019 Touring, replaced them with M. CrossClimate 2's . Note: my buddy owns a tire shop, so yes I got a good deal.
Taking us a little off, but how do you like the Cross Climate 2's? I have heard good things about them in all sorts of weather, true all seasons, not 3 seasons. They certainly have a distinctive look about them, and the 600 UTQG is pretty amazing in a tire that purportedly performs well enough in the snow to get a 3PMSF symbol and pretty good warm weather performance.

I helped my son get a set for his car, but he just says, they are great with little else.

Taking us a little off, but how do you like the Cross Climate 2's? I have heard good things about them in all sorts of weather, true all seasons, not 3 seasons. They certainly have a distinctive look about them, and the 600 UTQG is pretty amazing in a tire that purportedly performs well enough in the snow to get a 3PMSF symbol and pretty good warm weather performance.

I helped my son get a set for his car, but he just says, they are great with little else.
I have been doing some research on the Michelin CC 2's but from what I hear and have read they have a harsh ride and aren't very quiet. For that reason I'm now leaning towards the Continental Cross Contact LX25's.

Only a few hundred on them in New England, but no issues nor complaints. Far quieter, stops are on target, better in the turns that the crappy stocks also nice in the rain. Snow way down the road, wear, we will see...

Back