DIY Engine oil change and Manufacturer Warranty

on the new 2022-2023 cx5 the flexible interval cannot be disabled and it resets to 7500.
Even if one uses the manual set to selected miles , the flexible is still there and shows 7500
with that said, the owner manual still has schedule 2 for bad conditions which shows 5k/6mo. I do 5k/6mo in Arizona and due to lots of city driving

While under warranty I will follow the maintenance schedule in the Owner's Manual. For Canada its 8,000 km or 6 months. Once the warranty expires I will likely revert to 8,000 km or 12 months.
I think they have this shortened interval because the warranty in Canada has unlimited miles (3 year bumper to bumper, 5 year powertrain, w/no mileage caps)

How long are people going on oil changes? dealer says 5k, but that seems really short for synthetic. I set my minder to flexible and 7500 miles. Carries me just under a year for a change. I changed the oil for the first time the other day. Oil was black as it normally Is when you change oil. 4.2quarts were drained, but I have no idea what dealer previously put in so wont know until next change what it’s burning.
I set the oil change monitor to “Flexible“ since day one, but I usually change the oil at 30% oil life remaining which usually is between 5,000 ~ 6,000 miles. But since we drive a lot less since the pandemic, and our CX-5 now is on once per year OCI, as the Flexible would also indicate.

If you drained only 4.2 quarts including the amount from oil filter, your oil level was very close to the “Min” mark on the dipstick before the oil change.

Lots of trouble can be saved by a valve. Here's my Fumoto:

1000012029.jpg

The cover still fits back on snugly.

I drive the car onto Rhino ramps to get more working room and to improve draining.

I drain the oil directly into the previous 5 qt bottle that I saved, skipping intermediate oil catch pans. I also take a sample for oil analysis. This is easy with the open/closed action of the valve.

I lay down cardboard to catch any drips from there or the filter (things happen).

I use Mazda's filters for the turbo engine from the parts desk (not the "value" line--pointless $2 savings).

I change at 12 month intervals which will clock in at 4-5k miles.

I fill with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum which cost me about $30 + filter = $42. Not huge savings vs the dealership but it's also not apples to apples: I'm getting better oil, a better filter, and I'm avoiding dealership overfilling and the 2-3 hr wait in the lobby.

Back