Displeased with mileage

:
RDX Aspec Adv.
I drove for 209 miles on this tank of gas before I decided to fill it back up. My dash read-out said I was averaging 24mpg. Most of my driving was short trips to work. About 50% highway, 50% city, and I drive somewhat spiritedly at times. Still, I was a bit non-plussed at the pure-city performance of my mileage, when I did include some highway. Anyway, I filled up and used the same technique I did last time to fill up (put in a little more after it clicked to be sure it was full, but didn't "top it off"). I then hand-calculated my mileage.

25.7mpg.

THAT! I can live with, given that most of my driving, the car is not up to 100% full temp, I idled in the parkinglot talking on the phone, etc. etc. at times.

Is your computer as far off as mine?

My computer readings show about 0.75 MPG low in stop & go driving compared to my calculations. My highway values are much closer.

Interesting. I was getting rather discouraged with it 23.5-24.1 bouncing around. 25.7 is a lot more like what I expected!

Mine has been off 1 mpg, sometimes over, sometimes under, so, on average, it's a general idea of what I'm getting.

I seem to be getting approx 31.5 during the Summer months and more like 29 during the Winter months.

Last edited:
25.7mpg is fairly close to ours with the AWD and you shouldn't be displeased with your gas mileage. Ours is showing 26 mpg on INFO and 25.9 mpg with manual calculation with all city driving. From my past experience, I felt car computer has always been calculating higher mpg than manual calculation. So the result from our CX-5 is not surprising to me.

At least our CX-5 has much better city mpg than our old 1998 Honda CR-V AWD with a 2.0L. Our CR-V is consistently getting 20~23 mpg with the same driving condition. Motor Trend's 2015 SUV of the Year Honda CR-V AWD has EPA city/highway/combined fuel economy rating of 26/33/28 mpg but the real-world fuel economy during the test was disappointing 21/29/24 mpg!

My manual calculation is not always consistent with the trip meter. Sometimes it is pretty darn close while in others it can be as much as +- 2 MPG. I don't think it is completely accurate, but my manual calculation method relies much on the filling to be identical every time, which I believe, is not, even if I use exactly the same pump the same way.
I also completely rely on Trip B for the calculation, which is probably the same source of data the car uses, but except for checking its accuracy once, I never rechecked it again, so it might be off too (and since then I changed tires). This one time a checked its accuracy it was within 1%, so I decided to ignore the error.

If all CX-5's with 17" wheels and Geolanders are like mine, the trip computers/odometer all under report the distance actually traveled by almost 1%. The exact amount will vary depending upon tire pressure and tread wear. My measurements were taken multiple times with 37 psi each time and 60-70% tread remaining.

What does this mean relative to my manually calculated MPG (and as displayed in my fuelly badge)? It means my actual MPG is about .3 MPG higher.

Interesting fact:

When you increase tire pressure to see if your MPG goes up, the tires diameter becomes larger which causes the odometer to under report the distance traveled. The net effect of this is that your Trip Computer (as well as manual calculations) will not reflect the full amount of MPG improvement gained by running a higher pressure.

I was able to make 285 miles using 9 gallons. Not bad 40% city, 60 hway.
....but im very easy on padals.

You need to set the mpg calculation so that it resets the MPG when Trip A is reset. Otherwise, it calculages your MPG through ALL your fillups for a "lifetime" MPG calculation.

You need to set the mpg calculation so that it resets the MPG when Trip A is reset. Otherwise, it calculages your MPG through ALL your fillups for a "lifetime" MPG calculation.
I had done so. 1.7mpg off seemed a bit much though.

I drove for 209 miles on this tank of gas before I decided to fill it back up. My dash read-out said I was averaging 24mpg. Most of my driving was short trips to work. About 50% highway, 50% city, and I drive somewhat spiritedly at times. Still, I was a bit non-plussed at the pure-city performance of my mileage, when I did include some highway. Anyway, I filled up and used the same technique I did last time to fill up (put in a little more after it clicked to be sure it was full, but didn't "top it off"). I then hand-calculated my

25.7mpg.

THAT! I can live with, given that most of my driving, the car is not up to 100% full temp, I idled in the parkinglot talking on the phone, etc. etc. at times.

Is your computer as far off as mine?

I wish I had your mileage. I only have 1500 miles on my CX-5, but am getting 20 mpg. Do I have to drive like an old lady to get good mileage?

If all CX-5's with 17" wheels and Geolanders are like mine, the trip computers/odometer all under report the distance actually traveled by almost 1%. The exact amount will vary depending upon tire pressure and tread wear. My measurements were taken multiple times with 37 psi each time and 60-70% tread remaining.

What does this mean relative to my manually calculated MPG (and as displayed in my fuelly badge)? It means my actual MPG is about .3 MPG higher.

Interesting fact:

When you increase tire pressure to see if your MPG goes up, the tires diameter becomes larger which causes the odometer to under report the distance traveled. The net effect of this is that your Trip Computer (as well as manual calculations) will not reflect the full amount of MPG improvement gained by running a higher pressure.
Interesting! I do know my speedometer is within 1mph, to dead-on with the radar signs in my area. Also, I threw the stock Geolanders away. They sucked and were worn out, anyway. Rotted tread, etc.

Continental Cross Contact LX20's.

I wish I had your mileage. I only have 1500 miles on my CX-5, but am getting 20 mpg. Do I have to drive like an old lady to get good mileage?
Driving like an old lady definitely helps your gas mileage! (whistle)

I have roof racks + 235 wide All Terrians on stock 17" rims.
My winter mpg = ~29mpg
My spring mpg = ~31mpg

I keep stock pressures year round

Driving like an old lady definitely helps your gas mileage! (whistle)

So does driving around with your wife in the car!
I thought my goose was cooked today when I tried to make a left hand turn light. One of our best patrol car was at the light going the other way. Close one.

well, just had my first fill-up on the car, at 725 miles total, did 244 miles on 12.5 gallons, so 19.5 MPG. pretty depressing actually, probably 60% city, 40% highway. hope the #s go up!

well, just had my first fill-up on the car, at 725 miles total, did 244 miles on 12.5 gallons, so 19.5 MPG. pretty depressing actually, probably 60% city, 40% highway. hope the #s go up!
I am having the same experience with my 2016 CX -5 GT. when I took it to the service department they said to wait a couple of oil changes before I noticed a good mileage figure.

Back