Disable daytime running lights? 2022 CX-5

I wish Mazda can change the DRL setting as easy as this:

372115A1-CB05-4AFB-B813-F3627BBA1C13.jpeg

This’s Mazda Connect System used on my 2018 Toyota Yaris iA (a Mazda2 in disguise). It’s so easy ⋯

This technology recently became legal in the US. Though I don't know what manufacture offers it on their current models.
We were just talking about this on Reddit. I am kind of an expert on where this has been and where it's going in the US. Because when I bought my 16 I thought it had that tech. Couldn't wait to try it.
Didn't have it?!?! Saw that exact video you shared... did you notice how old that is? 8...years...
That's when I found out it's not available in the USA. That was 2016. Audi got this approved in Europe in 2012! We are still waiting.
Yes, it was FINALLY approved by the USA in February of this year. There still is not a single car in the USA with this feature "officially" enabled as the NHTSA is STILL dicking around with final approval.
Most car companies decided that they were NOT going to make USA-ONLY headlights so MANY cars in the US today have the same lights they have in Europe with that feature disabled. The thinking is when it is finally officially approved they can release a software update and turn it on. Great, right? Yea...still waiting. Some car companies like Volvo and BMW can be...I don't want to call it hacked...;) ...there are ways to enable it on their cars. Haven't heard of a way to do it on Mazda yet.
Doing my Volvo after my warranty ends. ;)

Good article if you're interested in more info:
They may come up with their own standard that will be different...then the REST OF THE FREAKING WORLD. I love my country but hot damn do we know how to over complicate things....:(

I love my country but hot damn do we know how to over complicate things....:(
There’s no way the current US LED headlights with AFS can be converted into the ALH by a simple software upgrade. The headlights have an array of LEDs tuning on or off accordingly. The single LED headlight we have simply won’t work!

Yeah how long had we been settled on the sealed beam headlights? How long had we been settled for ugly 3-dots on headlight lens just for headlight alignment? Now the ALH has been around for more than 10 years, and we finally will get it thanks to Toyota and Audi who keep fighting against those government officials and congressmen.

Yea they can, Yrwei. I'm not guessing. And I am not specifically talking about Mazda here. Of course yours and mine cannot do this.
I know for a fact BMW, Audi and Volvo all use the EXACT SAME HEADLIGHTS in Europe as they do here in all their cars. (I'm sure MB does too, but not positive). BMW's are pretty famous for the amount of things you can do to them with software.
My headlights in my Volvo have indivudal little LED's in the housing that do not act independently. If I connect some software to the car and flip the LED HEADLIGHT setting to ROW from USA, it does exactly what the European ones do. (ROW = REST OF WORLD).
Some car companies, like Mazda, have different headlights on the lower trims versus the uppers. And I do not know if they are the same ones they use in Japan, that also does uses these more advanced headlights. Toyota I'm sure does too on the higher trims.
For MANY brands, they are the same.

Last edited:
The 2022 CX5 also seem to have multiple led diodes in the lens but they all lit together.

Same with the lane tracing, the camera is the same its just not enabled by the softwate
and we get the sucky lane assist.

this is the Euro model lights. At least outside they are the same. No difference.
IMG_5230.png

I would assume the newest higher trim Mazdas use the Japanese adaptive lights in the US. Surely hoping for that final approval, like Toyota, so they can offer to program your car (for $200) to enable this once it's finally approved.

I dont have my hopes :( but may be thats why the 2022- headlights are near 2000$ for each side. Mazda has so much fratures locked or not available in US.

They dont even offer the kick to open the trunk door in US and many more extras that they have for many years in Europe and other markets.

Some of those features can be unlocked with software indeed but Mazda is keeping their software "closed" and secret. Vs VW for example where there is lots of licensed tools thet offer programming and enabling features.

Absolutely agree. I hate it when cars are behind you, or coming toward you, in the Christmas Light drive thru with their lights on. It drowns out the experience.

This to me is hilarious! You guys want to turn off a safety feature so that you can, once a year, take a Christmas light drive.

Do you reenable the DRLs after the drive? No? Why not?

I would assume the newest higher trim Mazdas use the Japanese adaptive lights in the US. Surely hoping for that final approval, like Toyota, so they can offer to program your car (for $200) to enable this once it's finally approved.
I'm not sure what "adaptive" means. I know my 2023 CX-50 has steerable lights that move when you turn the steering wheel. But if you mean intelligent lighting that can dim certain areas (like for oncoming cars), it does not have that.

I'm not sure what "adaptive" means. I know my 2023 CX-50 has steerable lights that move when you turn the steering wheel. But if you mean intelligent lighting that can dim certain areas (like for oncoming cars), it does not have that.
I know the feature is not available but they could be the same lights used in Japan as the cars (at least the 5) are built there. They could just be dumbed down. Volvo Audi and BMW do this. Or are you saying you know for sure these are specifically built different?

Latest posts

Back