Direct Injection and Variable Exhaust Cam

The current 3.7L is direct injection?

No. Still port injection.

The direct injection version is reported to be reserved for the Lincoln MKS at this time, likely coupled with with variable exhaust cam timing, a variable length intake manifold and low pressure turbo charging.

Direct injection will probably take over eventually. It's just a matter of how quickly the production costs can be brought down for it. The kicker is that direct injection requires much higher fuel pressure than current port injection systems use. So the cost of the system is higher because of the need for beefed up components to cope with those higher pressures, different head configuration, and so on.

Ted

No. Still port injection.

The direct injection version is reported to be reserved for the Lincoln MKS at this time, likely coupled with with variable exhaust cam timing, a variable length intake manifold and low pressure turbo charging.

Direct injection will probably take over eventually. It's just a matter of how quickly the production costs can be brought down for it. The kicker is that direct injection requires much higher fuel pressure than current port injection systems use. So the cost of the system is higher because of the need for beefed up components to cope with those higher pressures, different head configuration, and so on.

Ted

Yeah, the DISI sytem is already developed for this motor, but I don't think Mazda wants to put all their cards on the table yet. The 3.7L upgrade will keep the CX-9 competitive for a year or two then they will probably throw in the DISI set-up. The DISI will also increase the gas mileage. This is part of how Mazda will meet the new fuel mileage laws that are coming down the pipe.

Yeah, the DISI sytem is already developed for this motor, but I don't think Mazda wants to put all their cards on the table yet. The 3.7L upgrade will keep the CX-9 competitive for a year or two then they will probably throw in the DISI set-up. The DISI will also increase the gas mileage. This is part of how Mazda will meet the new fuel mileage laws that are coming down the pipe.

Oh well. There's not a great chance I would have waited a few years just for that. Although, better mileage would be nice.

Thank God is that way. I mean, another letdown? (ughdance) That wouldnt be nice.
What they did for the 08 MY versus 07 MY wasnt cool for those people, of course great for all of us that got the 08 model.
So imagine if a 09 model kicks in with Direct Injection? (flame2)
As it is is more than competitive as it has been proved again and again on car reviews.

Thank God is that way. I mean, another letdown? (ughdance) That wouldnt be nice.
What they did for the 08 MY versus 07 MY wasnt cool for those people, of course great for all of us that got the 08 model.
So imagine if a 09 model kicks in with Direct Injection? (flame2)
As it is is more than competitive as it has been proved again and again on car reviews.

I saw on the net that the 2009 or 2010 MXZ would receive a DI turbo of the 3.7. There is a good chance that this would be reserved for that Lincoln flagship.

I saw on the net that the 2009 or 2010 MXZ would receive a DI turbo of the 3.7. There is a good chance that this would be reserved for that Lincoln flagship.

The 3.7L DISI turbo is for the next generation Mazdaspeed 6. :)

Ford has come with ecoboost, a 3.5L V6 with 340hp and 340lb-ft of torque.
U see that on future cx-9s or a 3.7DI ?

Ford has come with ecoboost, a 3.5L V6 with 340hp and 340lb-ft of torque.
U see that on future cx-9s or a 3.7DI ?

Hmmmm Didn't hear about the ecoboost. Only the 3.7 turbo DI for the MKZ about 2 years from now.

Hooray for Mazda's continual improvement and our current excellent Cx-9s.

Back