Difficulty Cleaning Windshield

:
2019 CX5 Reserve AWD
Anybody having problems cleaning the windshield? As much as I try I cannot get it streak free. I've cleaned the outside and the inside and after it's dry and I go out in the sunlight and there's streaks all over the windshield. They appear worse after driving a bit and I end up having to run the defrosters. That clears it a little bit but not much.

I don't know if it's the thin crappy glass that Mazda uses or what but I don't have this problem with our 7 yo Honda.

Anybody find a good product that will keep the windows clear? I'm using Windex and tried Auto glass cleaner (which is probably just Windex in a fancy bottle)
with the same results.

Its sometimes not easy but course paper is best to clean glass.

If you inside windows are steaming up, check the cabin filter and if that doesn’t cure it, you might be leaking vapour from the heater.

Old school trick is to use newspaper - not paper towels or microfiber towels.

for the cleaning spray I have had good results with Stoner's Invisible Glass. I usually do 2 passes; spray, dry, spray, dry.

Newer cars of gas fumes from the interior vinyl so it sometimes makes it more difficult to clean interior winds. First make sure you're using a glass cleaner for automobiles not a generic like Windex. Surf City Garage has a great cleaner and 3D 50:1 is my favorite (and inexpensive-one 16 oz bottle for $8 will last you a lifetime)--with your first "wet wipe" they leave a light film that is then removed with your second dry wipe so you can get streak free windows even if done in the garage--you can even feel the slickness when the film is gone so it helps in making sure you wipe the entire glass. Make sure you use allot of cleaner on the window--many people just give it a couple of sprays, but that's not enough. Then wipe with your first towel already dampened with cleaner, then the second dry towel. You can use lint free cotton towels such as "flour sack" towels you can find pretty easily or my favorite are Surgical Huck Towels (google is you friend here) as they have a grain to the weave that really aids in cleaning the window. When you wash/dry them don't use any fabric softener or softener sheets.

I find it better to use course paper so I always nab a bunch from gas stations and store it in my trunk. My best results were using Invisible glass or white vinegar. I find white vinegar useful because it not only dries up fast but it helps to remove/neutralize bird poop, bug guts, and tree sap which may be potential causes for streaking.

I find that washing with water and drying before using any products works best.

The water helps wash away dirt and windex or any other fancy glass cleaning products work well for washing away the streaks from the water.

Anybody having problems cleaning the windshield? As much as I try I cannot get it streak free. I've cleaned the outside and the inside and after it's dry and I go out in the sunlight and there's streaks all over the windshield. They appear worse after driving a bit and I end up having to run the defrosters. That clears it a little bit but not much.

I don't know if it's the thin crappy glass that Mazda uses or what but I don't have this problem with our 7 yo Honda.

Anybody find a good product that will keep the windows clear? I'm using Windex and tried Auto glass cleaner (which is probably just Windex in a fancy bottle)
with the same results.

Perhaps some kind of product was once used on it that left a stubborn film. Try a degreasing spray first (Formula 409-alikes work well) then use glass cleaner. Try using paper towels.

with the same results.

Ah, glass...I have so much fun with glass, typically on high end optics. It drives my OCD crazy. On my optics, I use Zeiss lens wipes or the cloth that came with them, after blowing hot air on them (breathing).

However, for a vehicle, I have found that a good streak-free cleaner and elbow grease and paper towels or newspaper works best. I prefer MOPAR glass cleaner. I'm sure others work fine, but that is what has done the very best for me.

+1 for Invisible Glass -

http://www.autogeek.net/glass-clean...tKwtWgsdbF52MtP98dA08cqKZPdm2pzqIyxoC59zw_wcB

Have had excellent results with this stuff for years, using a microfiber towel. Will not harm aftermarket tinted film. Avoid streaking by not applying in full sun. I much prefer the spray bottle over the aerosol.

Microfiber towels shed TONS of those little microfibers and in the right light it looks absolutely terrible. I would NEVER use microfiber on interior glass. Exterior, fine, they will all blow away when you drive it, but on the interior it will haunt you forever!

I find it better to use course paper so I always nab a bunch from gas stations and store it in my trunk. My best results were using Invisible glass or white vinegar. I find white vinegar useful because it not only dries up fast but it helps to remove/neutralize bird poop, bug guts, and tree sap which may be potential causes for streaking.

Vinegar is very acidic, with a pH of 2.4. I would be careful around your paint with it!

Small waffle weave towels work great for me on glass. Microfiber sheds micro...fibers

Microfiber towels shed TONS of those little microfibers and in the right light it looks absolutely terrible. I would NEVER use microfiber on interior glass. Exterior, fine, they will all blow away when you drive it, but on the interior it will haunt you forever!

Yeah if you use those cheap s*** ones from Walmart or Autozone.....get the good ones from Autogeek and you won't have that problem.

Yeah if you use those cheap s*** ones from Walmart or Autozone.....get the good ones from Autogeek and you won't have that problem.

And wash them separately. Throw them in with regular towels and shedding fibers will actually be from those.

I picked up some invisible glass spray from Autozone today. I was looking around last night and found some Armour All window wipes/fog reducer in one of those large detailing kits that my daughter got me for Christmas. I tried them out and they seemed to work pretty good. Removed most of the haze on the windshield. Only problem is they're small and it takes a lot of them to do all the windows. I'll give the invisible glass a try down the road.

Somebody mentioned earlier about buildup on the windows. That is not the case, the car is only 7 months old, always in the garage and washed about 3 times since I got it.
I didn't use anything on the windows except carwash soap and windex so there's no buildup. Plus it's only been in the rain once or twice.

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions, I didn't have this problem much in the summer so I think the weather plays a big part in this.

I know this is a bit picky, but my CX-5 looks like it has oil on the windshield. You know that iridescent look a bubble has? That's what the whole windshield looks like. The lightly abrasive action of the windshield wipers over time is all that has removed it. I have tried:

Vinegar
Rain-X window cleaner
Dawn Dishwashing liquid
Cursing and offensive gestures

Any other ideas?

I know this is a bit picky, but my CX-5 looks like it has oil on the windshield. You know that iridescent look a bubble has? That's what the whole windshield looks like. The lightly abrasive action of the windshield wipers over time is all that has removed it. I have tried:

Vinegar
Rain-X window cleaner
Dawn Dishwashing liquid
Cursing and offensive gestures

Any other ideas?

Try a finishing polish compound like this if you have access to an orbital or rotary buffer -

https://www.menzerna.com/automotive/polishes/finish/

And then follow up with a good sealant than has a self contained cleaner, such as Rejex, Duragloss or my favorite, Zaino All In One. And don't pay attention to the claims that a wax or sealant on the windshield will impede the action of the wipers, it won't!

When I picked up my CX-5 in July, the paint was exceptional in that it did not need any machine polish correction to remove swirls, scratches or etched on water spots. However, the windshield was a different story, and it had blotchy spots that could be seen only in certain lighting conditions. Window cleaner (Invisible Glass) wouldn't budge it..........but I did the above procedure and all the spotty blotches were history.

I picked up some invisible glass spray from Autozone today. I was looking around last night and found some Armour All window wipes/fog reducer in one of those large detailing kits that my daughter got me for Christmas. I tried them out and they seemed to work pretty good. Removed most of the haze on the windshield. Only problem is they're small and it takes a lot of them to do all the windows. I'll give the invisible glass a try down the road.

Somebody mentioned earlier about buildup on the windows. That is not the case, the car is only 7 months old, always in the garage and washed about 3 times since I got it.
I didn't use anything on the windows except carwash soap and windex so there's no buildup. Plus it's only been in the rain once or twice.

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions, I didn't have this problem much in the summer so I think the weather plays a big part in this.

The dealer likely washed it before you picked it up. They're not too careful about the rags they wipe vehicles with and its entirely possible they got some stubborn chemical on the glass, like that shine they put on the plastic and tires.

Latest posts

Back