Dealer wheel swap

Just an update if anyone cares. So I went to a dealer today (not the one I'm planning to buy from) and asked about a wheels swap. They said sure, no problem. Wheels are exactly same size. They said they want extra $125 for the swap which won't happen lol. So it seems that the wheels are indeed the same size and very possible to swap. I'll post pics once the car is in my hands!

Check with Detroit wheels they chromed my 17GT wheels and wow all chrome is beautiful. Sorry can't do photos but if you send me your phone number I can send them to your phone.

Just an update if anyone cares. So I went to a dealer today (not the one I'm planning to buy from) and asked about a wheels swap. They said sure, no problem. Wheels are exactly same size. They said they want extra $125 for the swap which won't happen lol. So it seems that the wheels are indeed the same size and very possible to swap. I'll post pics once the car is in my hands!

I don' think anyone ever said the wheels were not the same size or not possible to swap. Both are 19" X 7" and will have the same bolt pattern. It's just the offset is a little different, only 5mm I think so no big deal.

The main thing is the TPMS sensors which your dealership probably doesn't even know about. You will need to have the 8 tires removed from both sets of wheels, then have your 2017 TPMS sensors removed form the '17 wheels and bolted up on the '16 wheels, and then the tires remounted and balanced on all 8 wheels. Otherwise, I don't see how you are not going to have warning lights on your dash at all times. I think it will be flashing and give you an audible sound as well because it will be picking this up as a malfunction with the system, not just low tire pressure, so it probably will get annoying. If they will do all this for $125, you should jump on it.

Maybe someone who has put aftermarket wheels on a '17 knows of other ways around the '17 TPMS sensors.

I don' think anyone ever said the wheels were not the same size or not possible to swap. Both are 19" X 7" and will have the same bolt pattern. It's just the offset is a little different, only 5mm I think so no big deal.

The main thing is the TPMS sensors which your dealership probably doesn't even know about. You will need to have the 8 tires removed from both sets of wheels, then have your 2017 TPMS sensors removed form the '17 wheels and bolted up on the '16 wheels, and then the tires remounted and balanced on all 8 wheels. Otherwise, I don't see how you are not going to have warning lights on your dash at all times. I think it will be flashing and give you an audible sound as well because it will be picking this up as a malfunction with the system, not just low tire pressure, so it probably will get annoying. If they will do all this for $125, you should jump on it.

Maybe someone who has put aftermarket wheels on a '17 knows of other ways around the '17 TPMS sensors.

My apologies. I didn't word myself correctly. You're right, the post mentioned the offset. I will go back and talk to the Mazda mechanics to get their take on the offset and TPMS situation. You're correct, if all that work needs to be done, then $125 is more than fair. I'll keep you guys posted!

I don' think anyone ever said the wheels were not the same size or not possible to swap. Both are 19" X 7" and will have the same bolt pattern. It's just the offset is a little different, only 5mm I think so no big deal.j

Agreed.

To get wheels one really likes and get rid of those unimpressive 19" OE wheels with all the work mentioned for $125 is indeed a steal!

So I got the wheel pin stripe stuff today and gave it a try. Pretty happy with the results! I think it definitely looks better. I also got a bit better with the striping as I did more. I may redo it all since I got more practice. Truthfully some slightly wider tape might be better.

cx5wheels.JPG

And my inspiration for the whole thing - my CX3 (the 5 is technically the wives car).

cx3cx5.JPG

Last edited:
Definitely looks better. Have any close up shots of the wheels? I think I will work with pin stuff instead of vinyl, it's pretty hard cutting to shape without scratching the wheels lol

So last night I taped off the wheels too, looks pretty good from far but crappy up close haha I ended up taking them off the morning. I'm just going to auto dip the wheels in vinyl till I get new wheels.

Back