2016~2023 Dealer Service Recommendation: Fuel Injector Service?

2018CX9AZ

:
2018 CX-9
I have a 2018 Mazda CX-9 with 53,000 miles on it. I take my vehicle to the dealer for the 'free' oil changes every 7,500 miles. Starting back when the vehicle had 23,000 miles on it, the service department has been typing in "Recommend Fuel Injector Service" on every service ticket. Does anyone know what is included in this service, and whether or not it really needs to be done (and if so, at what intervals)?

That's a dealer recommended service so it can vary regarding the detail. My guess is they'll just pour detergent chemical into your gas tank. Personally I wouldn't agree to it unless they can visually show me my injectors are dirty.

Upvote 0
What is the cost? If the cost is very reasonable, you might try it. Note the smoothness (or roughness) of the engine before and after the treatment, and the gas mileage on the same drive before and after. In too many cases these services mainly extract money from your wallet. I expect that this is also the case here, because, ""Recommend Fuel Injector Service" on every service ticket."

Upvote 0
What is the cost? If the cost is very reasonable, you might try it. Note the smoothness (or roughness) of the engine before and after the treatment, and the gas mileage on the same drive before and after. In too many cases these services mainly extract money from your wallet. I expect that this is also the case here, because, ""Recommend Fuel Injector Service" on every service ticket."
$130.00

Upvote 0
Buy yourself a couple bottles of Red Line Complete Fuel System Cleaner and pour one bottle in your tank before you fill up with gas. Do that a couple times in a row if you’re noticing your fuel mileage is suffering or you have a rough idle. Otherwise run a bottle of that in your tank once every 7500 -10000 miles and you’ll be good for the life of the vehicle as far as dirty injectors go. Also, ALWAYS use top tier fuel. That alone will go a long way in keeping injectors clean.

Upvote 0
"Fuel Injector Service" can vary from dealer to dealer. It could be as simple as them putting some Techron (or other similar fuel system additive) into the fuel tank, or they may actually pull the injectors, test them, and service them. What I would do is ask them to explain why they are recommending the fuel injector service, and why it isn't specified in the Owner's Manual at any specific mileage. I'd also want to know what they actually do for this service. At that point, you can make an informed decision about whether the $130 is worth it or not.

Upvote 0
Thanks for replies. I do have another question about replacing the spark plugs. I see that as a recommended service at 40,000 mile service in the owner's manual. So do you all think I should do that? I am surprised they did not mention it when I brought it in last September at 47,000 miles (oil change was done at that time). Haven't yet replaced spark plugs at all.

Upvote 0
Thanks for replies. I do have another question about replacing the spark plugs. I see that as a recommended service at 40,000 mile service in the owner's manual. So do you all think I should do that? I am surprised they did not mention it when I brought it in last September at 47,000 miles (oil change was done at that time). Haven't yet replaced spark plugs at all.
I recommend doing it ASAP.

Upvote 0
Yes, I would change the spark plugs as well, if only to maintain the factory warranty. I still have to change mine as well, waiting on warmer weather.

Upvote 0
They're just trying to get some of your cash. It's why they offer "free" oil changes.
Yup. Free oil changes is their way of guaranteeing that you come in the door every 7,500 miles. From there, it's upsell, upsell, upsell. Don't fall for it.

Upvote 0
23k they were recommending a fuel injector service for $130. My question would be what prompted this recommendation. And for that incredible low price they certainly are not going to be pulling the injectors and flow checking and inspecting the spray pattern. My girlfriends dealer was changing the cabin air filter on every oil change for $100. I put a stop to that. Follow the maintenance guide from mazda. 40k seems kinda early for plugs, but if it's on the schedule I would do it. Good plugs, $40 total. 1 hr shop time max.

Upvote 0
I put in new plugs at 40k. The engine was marginally more peppy. I don't think failing to renew the spark plugs will have an effect on the warranty. The plugs are $67 for a set of four.

Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus fuel system cleaner, one ounce per gallon of gas, is unsurpassed in cleaning the entire fuel system...sez Chevron. Good stuff. Worth the $13 or $16 bucks.

Upvote 0
New plugs at only 40,000 miles?
My service place recommended a fuel induction cleaning due to carbon build up-$270 and that includes a fuel injection cleaning. My mileage has dropped quite a bit and the engine feels a little more sluggish but other than that it starts fine.
Considering it if it will make a difference and help keep my car around longer, i can;t afford a new car for a while if ever. 2013 Mazda 3 SkyActiv Automatic 45,000 miles.
I am also considering just dropping in a bottle of Redline Complete fuel system cleaner and wait a while to do the service.

Upvote 0
40K miles is the recommended spark plug change for all SkyAct turbocharged engines. Seems too early but, I do the factory recommendation on this one.

Upvote 0
I also agree with PT guy. Chevron Techron Concentrate system cleaner is the cleaner developed by Chevron & BMW. Ed

Upvote 0
I also agree with PT guy. Chevron Techron Concentrate system cleaner is the cleaner developed by Chevron & BMW. Ed
I tried techron but didn't notice a difference. I saw someone recommended Redline Complete Fuel System cleaner here and I saw it recommended on other sites as well so may give it a try.
I read though that the SkyActiv engine has direct fuel injection and that fuel cleaners won;t clean the injectors? No turbo on mine.
I keep vacillating about getting the fuel induction/injection cleaning my place recommended. It's $270 and I would prefer not to spend the dough as I'm unemployed right now, but at the same time my car is 10 years old and I need it to last a lot longer.

Upvote 0
I tried techron but didn't notice a difference. I saw someone recommended Redline Complete Fuel System cleaner here and I saw it recommended on other sites as well so may give it a try.
I read though that the SkyActiv engine has direct fuel injection and that fuel cleaners won;t clean the injectors? No turbo on mine.
I keep vacillating about getting the fuel induction/injection cleaning my place recommended. It's $270 and I would prefer not to spend the dough as I'm unemployed right now, but at the same time my car is 10 years old and I need it to last a lot longer.
Unless they show you data from the ECU that shows misfire codes, too lean codes, or positive long term fuel trims, they have zero basis for recommending cleaning the injectors. What led to the diagnosis of "carbon build up" other than a drop in mileage? What exactly does their induction cleaning entail? Unless it involves removing the injectors, doing an ultrasonic cleaning, and then flow testing them, $270 is way out of line. Or are they saying there is carbon build up in the intake that requires removal?

In my opinion, injector cleaning is almost always a way to pad the bill and provides little value to you or the car. If you let the car sit for a long period of time, that can cause injector issues, but gasoline itself is such a powerful solvent that frequently used injectors don't really get the chance for deposits to form. On top of that, modern gasoline contains additives to reduce deposit formation and buildup.

I'd swap the spark plugs, get a new air filter, buy some "top tier" branded gas, and go for a spirited drive. At least that will provide you some satisfaction and enjoyment.

Upvote 0
Back