Dealer put 5w20 syn-blend oil during oil change...

Descriminator

:
cx-5
Shouldn't they have used 0w20 full synthetic as was recommended by Mazda?

Just asking... Just picked the car up from its first oil change and noticed that on the invoice. Dealer said that oil is fine, but wouldn't the added viscosity affect fuel economy? I sort of expected the dealer to use OEM parts and spec.

Thanks!

They blew it on both counts; oil quality and viscosity (especially with winter right around the corner!!). Take it back and get them to re-do it.
PS: These are things you need to inquire about before you sign the work order.

Agreed, they should redo at no charge. They should know better, being a Mazda dealership.

talk to the manager and insist on getting full synthetic, if not tell them you'll be contacting Mazda customer relations to file a complaint against them. Trust me it works, within 10 mins you will get a call from the dealer to fix the issue.

Thanks folks. All good advise. I would do just that, only in the back of my mind, it would always appear as if they've wasted my time, and kept the old oil they put in the first time around... I have trust issues i guess. Just sort of pissed that they would do crap like that despite being the place of purchase and a reputable(ish i guess) dealer. I guess its home oil changes from now on. I also dont want to spoil our relationship yet, since i'm looking for a remote start and its all pointing to a dealer installed OEM (after coupons i hope).

In this case, candidly, the dealer is right... Your CX-5 will be fine. That said, next go around, you might ask that they do it by the book. :)

http://www.kewengineering.co.uk/Auto_oils/oil_viscosity_explained.htm

Your operating weight is the same (20), thus your mileage will NOT be impacted. That said your start up won't flow as easily from 0 to a 5. This might concern me once the temps really drop there in New England this winter, but if you review the charts on the attached HTML, you'll see the difference is only a 5 degree range.

Shouldn't they have used 0w20 full synthetic as was recommended by Mazda?

Just asking... Just picked the car up from its first oil change and noticed that on the invoice. Dealer said that oil is fine, but wouldn't the added viscosity affect fuel economy? I sort of expected the dealer to use OEM parts and spec.

Thanks!
What dealer? I live in the North East and would like to know? Thx

Regardless of the weight, I would have it redone. The cx-5 is a very high compression engine, and the service manual specifically calls for synthetic-only oil. Its not worth the risk.

Regardless of the weight, I would have it redone. The cx-5 is a very high compression engine, and the service manual specifically calls for synthetic-only oil. Its not worth the risk.
The owner's manual states 0W-20 but does not state synthetic only. Are you sure about that?

The owner's manual states 0W-20 but does not state synthetic only. Are you sure about that?

This is recommendation per 2013 Mazda CX-5 owners manual:

U.S.A. and CANADA
0W-20 full synthetic recommended:
Mazda genuine oil is used in your Mazda
vehicle and 0W-20 lubricant is
recommended. Mazda genuine 0W-20 oil
is required to achieve optimum fuel
economy. If 0W-20 is not available, 5W-
20 may be used for oil level maintenance
and oil changes however, it must be
replaced with 0W-20 at the next oil
change to maintain optimum performance.
Recommended viscosity: SAE 0W-20

Like I said earlier, dealer should know better. Also it gives the dealer service department the opportunity to enjoy additional service revenue for oil change (higher price for full synthetic).

Last edited:
This is recommendation per 2013 Mazda CX-5 owners manual:

U.S.A. and CANADA
0W-20 full synthetic recommended:
Mazda genuine oil is used in your Mazda
vehicle and 0W-20 lubricant is
recommended. Mazda genuine 0W-20 oil
is required to achieve optimum fuel
economy. If 0W-20 is not available, 5W-
20 may be used for oil level maintenance
and oil changes however, it must be
replaced with 0W-20 at the next oil
change to maintain optimum performance.
Recommended viscosity: SAE 0W-20

Like I said earlier, dealer should know better. Also it gives the dealer service department the opportunity to enjoy additional service revenue for oil change (higher price for full synthetic).
The 2014 manual is different which is what led to my question. The below is copied (including its highlighting) from the 2014 Owner's Manual:

U.S.A. and CANADA
Use SAE 0W-20 engine oil.

Mazda Genuine Oil is used in your Mazda
vehicle. Mazda Genuine 0W-20 Oil is
required to achieve optimum fuel
economy.

For maintenance service, Mazda
recommends Mazda Genuine Parts and
Castrol (U.S.A. only).

I searched for "synthetic" in my pdf version and the word was found nowhere. And I checked the above copied section with my paper book copy that came with my 2014 CX-5 and it is identical.

The 2014 manual is different which is what led to my question. The below is copied (including its highlighting) from the 2014 Owner's Manual:

Good info. Now we have the complete info here in this thread regarding oil recommendations per Mazda owners manual (US) for both 2013 and 2014 model years.

Regardless, in response to OP, they used wrong grade of oil to do oil change in his CX-5. Being a Mazda service department, they should know better.

Question (still open): Is 0W-20 engine oil (the recommended oil weight for both 2013 and 2014 model years) available in non-synthetic?

Last edited:
Two Mazda service deptartments I've dealt with have been terrible so far.

1st dealership when I got my 2013 CX-5 - I asked their (now former) service manager what oil would they use for my car, he responded that they use Vavoline 5-20 and I should not care "as it all comes from one barrel anyway"

I did not change my oil there.

Dealers make most money on service. 0-20 Synthetic is expensive so they do fill other grades to make more profit.

Most consumers don't even notice the difference as they are happy that oil change happened at dealership.

The oil cap on my 2014 2.5L engine states 0w20. I expect the dealer will put that oil in but, I will ask to make certain. This will be my "free" oil change so the temptation would be to use the lower quality 5w20.

Latest posts

Back