Dealer incompetence

I’ve heard over time that Mazda has especially problematic dealer service quality compared to, let’s say, Honda.

I go to get my oil changed on my 2016 CX-5 (47K miles) come home (12 mile highway drive) and after the car has been sitting for about 45 minutes see that the oil level is way past max and just under the area where the dipstick begins to twist...WTF?

I checked oil before change and it was down about 1/2 quart since last change 5K miles ago.

ugh I should have checked it at the dealer before leaving.

Good thing you caught that...that would destroy your engine. I would get on the phone to the service dept. ASAP and let them know that they botched it. In the mean time, you really need to get the excess oil out of there. I've heard that more than 1/2 inch above the max fill mark is definitely a serious problem.

This stuff is insane.

How does someone do an oil change and "just trust" the amount that was put in there without checking the dipstick when done?

There is an earlier thread here where a guy had the dealer change his oil and the techs (and service manager?) did not know that there was a turbo option in the 2019 CX-5s!!!

It's less than pathetic.

Where do you check it? When they say your car is ready, pop open the hood and pull the dip stick and wipe it and plunge and measure? I might have to do that because I just checked the oil level and it's over the max (3000 miles since last oil change).

Where do you check it? When they say your car is ready, pop open the hood and pull the dip stick and wipe it and plunge and measure? I might have to do that because I just checked the oil level and it's over the max (3000 miles since last oil change).

Sorry. I was not talking about the customer. I was talking about the guy who did the oil change.

How does a mechanic (or anyone doing the change, for that matter) consider the job finished without checking the level on the dipstick? It makes zero sense.

Nobody thinks anymore, and some of these so-callers “technicians” are little more than clerks.

At any rate, I used my West Marine oil extractor to take out the excess oil...I’ll call dealer on Thursday. I also got a survey from Mazda last night...guess how I responded.

I haven’t had great experience the few times I’ve used this dealer for service. Unfortunately not many convenient Mazda dealers..will have to find a decent independent....

Nobody thinks anymore, and some of these so-callers “technicians” are little more than clerks.

At any rate, I used my West Marine oil extractor to take out the excess oil...I’ll call dealer on Thursday. I also got a survey from Mazda last night...guess how I responded.

I haven’t had great experience the few times I’ve used this dealer for service. Unfortunately not many convenient Mazda dealers..will have to find a decent independent....
How did you extract the oil? Never had to do anything like that.

How did you extract the oil? Never had to do anything like that.

Use a pump like this and shove the tube down the dipstick hole:

11047123_LRG.19062018120003.jpg

I've had to siphon gas a few times but never pump out oil.

Guess it beats pulling the drain plug and trying to reinstall it halfway through the draining.

At this point, I just do my own for an hour on a Saturday. I use a 5 quart jug and call it good.

I like my local Mazda dealer, which is much better than the Honda/Toyota dealers I used to frequent when I owned their vehicles. So, it depends.

I like my local Mazda dealer, which is much better than the Honda/Toyota dealers I used to frequent when I owned their vehicles. So, it depends.
Agreed. My Mazda dealer is better than every other dealer of different car brands I have visited, although they still screwed several things up for warranty services. Each dealer is different.

The Toyota dealer I’ve been using for factory 2-year free maintenance by Toyota screwed oil change badly on my 2018 Toyota Yaris iA. At the first oil change the oil drain plug apparently didn’t tighten up correctly and the oil was leaking through it when we drove the Yaris from San Jose to LA. The oil was down 2.5 quarts once we got to LA, and we’re lucky we didn’t lose the engine! I actually appreciated the tech over-filled the oil by 0.5 quart, which may saved the engine. The Toyota dealer over-filled 0.5 quart again at the second oil change, even though I complained the issue, and told service advisor to watch for over-fill issue on oil change!

I ditched my Matsuda dealer and go to my trusted yota dealer. I bought my own oil and will get my own washer and filter from next time onwards. First oil change was free (Only 28 bucks for the oil). The oil used by my Mazda dealer was pretty awful - cx5 felt sluggish and mpg was down by 2. When I filled her up with Mobil1 Full syn - I am upto 28+ mpg which was my sweet spot.

I will be doing all my maintenance at this dealer from now on getting my own fluid / oil etc.

Back