DDR (Dance Dance Revolution) is my new workout plan...

LinuxRacr

Contributor
:
2001 Mazda MP3
I remember about a year and a half ago seeing this game for the 1st time at Malibu Speed Zone in Dallas. There was this guy who was dressed in workout clothes (sweatband, shorts, tennis shoes), and was really going at that game. I tried to get up there and do it, and accidentally made the mistake of starting in stnadard mode. I sucked bad! That was the last time I remember trying that game out. I also remember forum member BigBlue lost a lot of weight doing DDR after him and his girlfriend parted ways. On Tuesday, I had a team building event at Speed Zone, so me and a co-worker went the day before to get a leg up on the competitiong by trying out the race tracks 1st. (evil) I was reunited with DDR, and decided to give it a try. I figured out how to play it, and I've been hooked every since. The next day my co-workers got to see me get down on that game, and... I'm sure there are pictures. :rolleyes: The game was on "free play" mode all day. One of my co-workers has the home version on Playstation 1 that he is gonna let me borrow. :D

Today I went to the local mall, and got 5 dollar worth of quarters, put it on beginner's mode, and dance all the quarters away. I was sweating hard when I came out and felt good. After that I stopped by Gamestop and found out that they have a couple of versions of that game out, and I could get DDR II and the home Pad for $60. I'm glad my friend is letting me borrow his...

Even though the game is OLD, it still is a good way to get in shape!

Last edited:
Update:

I started doing Light Mode 2 weeks ago, and am now working on getting an "A" rating on the song Afronova (200 BPM song), thanks to the help of some arcade pros on my technique. The best I can get on that song right now is a "C" rating. The song "Captain Jack (170 BPM song) is what got me confident on Light Mode. I really want to get my hands on a metal pad for home, but can't afford $279 right now for the Cobalt Flux pad. That's why I still play at the arcade because the damn soft pad moves too much. BTW...I lost a pants size! :D

(dance)

it works!! my friend lost like 50 lbs in a few months doing ddr + subway diet.

Sadly, i will admit that i play it occasionally as my little brother is really into it. We play it on playstation 2 with some $50 a piece mats.

and again, sad to admit i play heavy mode and can pass 8 stars, can get A's on 7 stars.

never played in the arcade though as people watching who dont play just dont understand....

yeah the cheap pads suck. these are real nice. have a 1.5" thick hard foam backing, and just overall better quality.

Re: Update:

LinuxRacr said:
I started doing Light Mode 2 weeks ago, and am now working on getting an "A" rating on the song Afronova (200 BPM song), thanks to the help of some arcade pros on my technique. The best I can get on that song right now is a "C" rating. The song "Captain Jack (170 BPM song) is what got me confident on Light Mode. I really want to get my hands on a metal pad for home, but can't afford $279 right now for the Cobalt Flux pad. That's why I still play at the arcade because the damn soft pad moves too much. BTW...I lost a pants size! :D

(dance)

Hey man that's awesome that you are playing DDR. I actually got a lot of flak from people asa lot of people think it's a little gay for guys to play it.

Screw them I say though as it definitely works. I love the game because it's a way to play something that is actually very challenging and a lot of fun while at the same time as mentioned being an incredible workout.

As far as playing, mostly I played at home. It's a heck of a lot cheaper. What I did was go out and buy an old scrap piece of 1/2 inch plywood from Home Depot. I then took some wood screws and screwed the pad right onto the board(right through the thick seamed edge of the plastic pads). I play with shoes as well as my feet get sore plus it's just better for detecting your moves. With the wood, it slips a LOT less. If you really want it to not move at all, you can buy some non-slip padding and put that on the underside of the board. The last "mod" I personally did to my pad was to duct tape it. Yup I used the wonder tool because with my first pad, I eventually ripped right through the original plastic from too much stepping. They even have more durable/see through duct tape now too!

The good part about the home versions is that they actually have a workout mode so it's easier to track your calories and it shows equivalents of jogging etc that you've done with your playing for motivation. Sadly my PSOne finally kicked the bucket though so I can't play it anymore. I'm looking to get it for my X-Box though as I gotta get my DDR fix! :)

Keep up the good work man!

charles said:
Heh, what is the name of that song, "What is Love? Baby don't hurt me, no more" ?

"What is love"
by
Haddaway
Album: Haddaway
Arista Records

Song appears on:
Babe OST (1994)
Night at the Roxbury OST (1998)
and others
--A

Well, I started Standard mode last week. I'm working on a slow song (130 BPM) called "I believe in miricales." The best I can do on it right now is a "C" rating. I just need to get my timing right. I can consitantly now get an "A" rating on all of my favorite Light Mode songs llike "Afronova," "Captian Jack," "Love and Shine," and "Sakura" (I think that's what it is). I needed a new challenge. Tuedsays (today) at Speed Zone out in Dallas is $10 free play day all day (and night), so I can play Standard Mode, and mess up as much as I want without it costing me more money. :D Time to practice Standard Mode. The cool part is that my younger brother is now up to light mode now, when he was just on beginner mode about 3 weeks ago. Now It's time for me to get a metal pad for home now like the Cobalt Flux Metal Gamepad. -> $279 This thing was run over with a Ford Explorer, and it still worked! The responsiveness also rivals the true arcade gamepad. It is supposedly the best you can buy.

The runner up for my choices is the Red Octane Metal Gamepad -> $199

I should be in a position to do this really soon.

holy cow a metal pad????

I still have teh el cheapo plastic pad for my PS1

hmm maybe I should pick it up again to lose some weight too!

damn Patrick I can't believe you have made all of us closet DDR'er's come out!!!

Ceej said:
Do the people playing that game realize that they look like total morons?

I don't care if it looks silly...it's fun and that's all that matters to me. Perhaps you should look at why you live your life being worried about what others think rather than doing what you like.

Back