Dash Cubby on Non-Nav Vehicles?

:
CX-5 Grand Touring
Does anyone know the name or part number for this dash cubby? I don't need the Tom Tom SD card slot anymore, so I'd like to replace it with this.

I want the tom tom navigation so if your taking yours out then Ill swap your nav cubby for my blank?

You can get this at your local dealership and shouldn't cost a lot. It's not the greatest since the cubby space is smaller than the actual cut-out. Only thing I can think of putting there is my eye glasses cloth. LOL

What do other people put there?

You can get this at your local dealership and shouldn't cost a lot. It's not the greatest since the cubby space is smaller than the actual cut-out. Only thing I can think of putting there is my eye glasses cloth. LOL

What do other people put there?
Not a thing. Its a useless waste of space. Someone should design a flip up type accessory that would at least hold spare coins.

I got one at the dealer. It's pretty shallow. I'm thinking about cutting the back off to make it useful. When I had my VW, I put an aftermarket "mini glove box" in that space. I'd love to find something like that for the CX-5.

images

I like the small cubby from my Mazda3 as I put my garage door opener in it. The one in the CX-5 is definitely too shallow to put anything useful there.

Ha! I have been meaning to do a post on this... so annoyed that they didn't at least make a cheapo change compartment. Hoping for an aftermarket drawer insert or something- or, more likely, that they'll put a drawer there in the 2015s that we'll be able to retro fit. Pretty much anything you put in there immediately falls out. Utterly pointless. Maybe I'll build a garage so I can make good use of the space like Rumble!

Ha! I have been meaning to do a post on this... so annoyed that they didn't at least make a cheapo change compartment. Hoping for an aftermarket drawer insert or something- or, more likely, that they'll put a drawer there in the 2015s that we'll be able to retro fit. Pretty much anything you put in there immediately falls out. Utterly pointless. Maybe I'll build a garage so I can make good use of the space like Rumble!

You realize the only point of that area is for the nav. The only reason is has a cubbie is to help in its removal for the nav installation...

I think we're just annoyed at the fact that they couldn't design a better hole filler compartment since they're making the mold anyway.

Exactly my point. I mean if they weren't going to bother making it useable, they should have just made a cover for the hole.

What is your point? You can disagree, but all I am saying is that I think if Mazda had put in any thought before designing the useless hole insert, they could have designed a simple little drawer. My Outback had a one-piece molded plastic drawer in that exact spot which I found extremely handy for keeping change for feeding meters. It is also big enough for all kinds of things you don't want to lose in your console or stash visibly behind the shifter... gum or eye drops or condoms or breath mints, coupons, earrings, lipstick, toothpicks, thumb drives, business cards, McDonalds game pieces, contact lenses...

What is your point? You can disagree, but all I am saying is that I think if Mazda had put in any thought before designing the useless hole insert, they could have designed a simple little drawer. My Outback had a one-piece molded plastic drawer in that exact spot which I found extremely handy for keeping change for feeding meters. It is also big enough for all kinds of things you don't want to lose in your console or stash visibly behind the shifter... gum or eye drops or condoms or breath mints, coupons, earrings, lipstick, toothpicks, thumb drives, business cards, McDonalds game pieces, contact lenses...

Like i said, the space was designed first and foremost for the nav, and the car built around that. With the nav removed they could have either put a flat piece or the finger hole. The purpose i see of the finger hole is for you to be able to remove the piece to install the nav if you want later without gauging your trim with a screwdriver if it were flat across.

Putting things in it was likely never an intention. You have a nook capable of holding those things you speak off right in your door arm rest.

Back