CX9 horrible feul consumption?!!

Recently on my return commute, I got 22.5 mpg ave, which is higher that I had previously achieved.

Recently on my return commute, I got 22.5 mpg ave, which is higher that I had previously achieved.

Changed my oil to full synthetic Mobil 1, with Mobil 1 oil filer. Also equipped with a K&N filter, but this week my average mpg went up to 23 mpg, versus 21 mpg the past few weeks. I had once instance of the averaging up to 25.5+ mpg one way this week. I will watch it this week and let you all know if it was a fluke of not.

2007 CX-9 GT FWD
Driving mostly city streets with some freeway tossed in, I was averaging 13.5 mpg with a heavy foot. I never saw > 20 mpg, even on long trips averaging 75 mph.

Changed my oil to full synthetic Mobil 1, with Mobil 1 oil filer. Also equipped with a K&N filter, but this week my average mpg went up to 23 mpg, versus 21 mpg the past few weeks. I had once instance of the averaging up to 25.5+ mpg one way this week. I will watch it this week and let you all know if it was a fluke of not.

I used dino the first 10,000 miles and Mobil 1 for the next 8,000. No appreciable difference in fuel economy.

I just completed a 2861 mile trip from TX to FL, including 6 days of combined city/highway driving, averaging 23.7 mpg (using odometer miles and gallons at the pump). This was within 1 mpg from the dash readout. Most of the trip I used the cruise control and stayed about 3 mph (per gps) above the speed limit.

One thing I did notice. When going 70 the instant mpg displayed aprox 23 mpg and when going 60 it displayed aprox 25 mpg. I expect the milage to drop when going above 60 and I also assume the the car manufactures "tune" the cars to get the best milage based on the governments "standardized driving routines".

I can get 400+ miles out of a tank when 100% of it is on the interstate (on a long trip). Sadly, less than 200 when 100% is in the city. I just plopped in a K&N yesterday, so hopefully I will see a marginal increase in fuel economy.

Use of premium fuel would actually reduce MPG (though very slightly) if your CX9 has no knocking issue.
Premium fuel has less energy density per volume. You pay more, and get less energy per gallon, so to speak.
It only works if your engine is designed for it. i.e. higher compression ratio than the 10.2 which is ratio of CX9's engine.
Higher compression gives more torque, therefore, more horsepower at same RPM. Our CX9 MZI 3.7 is designed for regular unlead. Using premium fuel will not give you
more torque. In fact, less due to less energy density per volume.

On city drive, go easy on the 1st gear. Always try 42mph than 40mph whenever possible or legal
since CX9's tranny shifts to 6th gear at 42mph.

You guys realize that this is about the same mileage a Chevy Tahoe or Suburban gets. I still say the 3.5 liter engine in my first CX-9 is a better engine than the 3.7 liter in my 11. Both were(are) FWD GT equipped exactly the same. 07 got 17 city, 25 hwy @75 mph. the 2011 get 15 city and at best 22mpg highway. Can not tell any performance difference between the two driving them back to back. Why on earth did Mazda feel the need to go to the 3.7 liter for 8 hp gain and a lot worse mileage?

On the other hand, my Touareg TDI is averaging 27 mpg in town and consistently over 33 mpg on the highway @ 80mph and that's a full time AWD that weighs 2.5 tons. 0 - 60 in 6.5 sec., can tow 8000 lbs and one of the quietest vehicles I've ever owned and that includes a Lexus LS450 and E Class MB 350.

Last edited:
Well after it has been a couple of weeks and here are my overall results (using fillup analysis - gallons as each fill up), 23 mpg overall is average, and this is combination highway (90%) and street (10%). I think the K&N filter plus the Mobil 1 works out better than the stock oil and filter. I am currently at 28k miles. Speeds, well, I will say that the vehicle was traveling at 70+, sometimes 80+. The only waty the mpg went down to 18.5 - 20 mpg, was when I was running the AC this week when the temps were up there.

You guys realize that this is about the same mileage a Chevy Tahoe or Suburban gets. I still say the 3.5 liter engine in my first CX-9 is a better engine than the 3.7 liter in my 11. Both were(are) FWD GT equipped exactly the same. 07 got 17 city, 25 hwy @75 mph. the 2011 get 15 city and at best 22mpg highway. Can not tell any performance difference between the two driving them back to back. Why on earth did Mazda feel the need to go to the 3.7 liter for 8 hp gain and a lot worse mileage?

On the other hand, my Touareg TDI is averaging 27 mpg in town and consistently over 33 mpg on the highway @ 80mph and that's a full time AWD that weighs 2.5 tons. 0 - 60 in 6.5 sec., can tow 8000 lbs and one of the quietest vehicles I've ever owned and that includes a Lexus LS450 and E Class MB 350.

The Touareg TDI is a diesel with an 8 speed transmission for 2011 isn't it? I would hope it gets better mileage than our unleaded gas engines pulling this kind of weight. Now if we compare the Touareg 3.6L gas engined version, the mpg is more in-line with what we are seeing, but to be fair a heavier car.

Mazda CX-9 Curb weight - 4586
Touareg Curb weight (C/D est): 4650–4950 lb

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...touareg_hybrid_touareg_tdi-first_drive_review

The Toureg TDI would be awesome if it wasn't $50K....Sadly it seems much of the euro SUV diesel offerings are all $50K. Consideirng I only spent $30K for my CX-9 GT that is a tough chunk of change to swallow, although 15 MPG is getting pretty painful. I'm hoping Audi comes out with a Q5 diesel but that will still probably be mid $40s once you option it out like my CX-9.

The Touareg TDI is a diesel with an 8 speed transmission for 2011 isn't it? I would hope it gets better mileage than our unleaded gas engines pulling this kind of weight. Now if we compare the Touareg 3.6L gas engined version, the mpg is more in-line with what we are seeing, but to be fair a heavier car.

Mazda CX-9 Curb weight - 4586
Touareg Curb weight (C/D est): 4650–4950 lb

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...touareg_hybrid_touareg_tdi-first_drive_review

I had the 08 Touareg V6 and with air suspension, it weighed over 5000 lbs, mind you its also a full time AWD, can still tow 7700 lbs. Mileage was the same as the wifey's FWD CX-9 GT. What's up with this? 2011 Touareg V6 gasser has better EPA numbers than the FWD CX=9. BTY, all Touareg are full time AWD and all can tow 7700 lbs.

Last edited:
The Toureg TDI would be awesome if it wasn't $50K....Sadly it seems much of the euro SUV diesel offerings are all $50K. Consideirng I only spent $30K for my CX-9 GT that is a tough chunk of change to swallow, although 15 MPG is getting pretty painful. I'm hoping Audi comes out with a Q5 diesel but that will still probably be mid $40s once you option it out like my CX-9.

I agree, if it were a bit less, very good buy. I actually looked at purchasing one of those used, but a bit too pricey for me at this time.

I had the 08 Touareg V6 and with air suspension, it weighed over 5000 lbs, mind you its also a full time AWD, can still tow 7700 lbs. Mileage was the same as the wifey's FWD CX-9 GT. What's up with this? 2011 Touareg V6 gasser has better EPA numbers than the FWD CX=9. BTY, all Touareg are full time AWD and all can tow 7700 lbs.

Gee I wish the CX-9 would tow 7700 pounds, but if it did, it would probably cost as much or more than the Toureg, but its handling would probably be less nimble.

I average 16mpg w/ combination city and hwy driving. The best I've done in the CX9 is on a recent roadtrip to California, we got 20mpg with a cargo box on the roof.

I agree with Nuru. I have owned a VW, Jetta Wagon, and it was in the shop quite a bit. The price for the car initially, and what VW threatened to charge me everytime I went in to the service dept if the cost was not covered by maintenance, was steep . When the warranty ran out I ditched it. Here is a list of what was replaced: The catalytic converters, two mass airflow sensors (2 diff times), one coolant sensor, a solenoid that controled a valve to open/close depending on engine temp (lots of valve noise), two sensors for transmission engagement from park to drive (2 diff times) (could not get the auto trans into gear), passenger door open/light sensor module, an oil pan gasket, and three interior pieces that broke. Granted it was a 2001 that I off-loaded in 2007, but it only had 58,520 miles on it. I looked at a Toureg in Ann Arbor MI years ago and the dealer was so proud of the vehicle and price that he was not wiling to negotiate the used sticker price on the window. My 9 has been in the shop much less than the VW was and cost much less.

Dont get me wrong. I loved the VWs for drive-ability and handling. They are swift and meant for European roads, but are maintenance ****** like BMW and Mercedes. The 9 might not have the same aspects, but is a real trooper and takes a beating. I have had it in the US from Virginia to Upper Michigan and down to Cocoa beach, FL. It has been from Naples to Abruzzo and down to Sicily (italy). I plan on taking it up to Tuscany and Umbria soon and it has been into the shop 80% less than the VW. I respect VW craftmanship as the little details are covered like ruber bumpers in between deash panels, cockpit material feeling, and wire harness wrapping, are superb, but durability it questionable.

Yep, I have had a VW, Audi and BMW before I got two Benz's in a row. And out of all of them the Benz's were the most reliable sofar. The service costs were steep when any of them went into the shop. Mazda's service is also steep, but I am hoping that it does not go in every often. One of my relatives has a Jetta, another has a Passat, and they seem to always be in the shop for something. One thing I will tell you that stinks about the Passat is that you have to drop the splash shield to get to the oil drain plug and the oil filer. That means you have to get the car off the ground to get the shield off, so you can get to the the oil filter. - Bummer. :D LOL!

I had to chime in on this older thread with regards to fuel economy. I originally thought the CX9 was horrible on fuel economy, but after more research I have to change my tune. My last fill up we averaged 20 mpg and that is really mixed driving. The 9 is a big car and that is respectable no matter what. And to further solidify my thought, I am in the market for another car and about every car I am looking at gets very similar mileage. My current car of choice is the G35 and it gets 17/23. Not real good for a smaller car in comparison to the much larger CX9.

I typically average 19 - 20 mpg with the AC on, 22 - 24mpg with the AC off. - mostly Highway miles being put on this car.

I should clarify on mine. We are currently in 100+ degree heat and the ac is always on and still getting around 20 mpg mixed driving.

Back