CX-90 Reviews are out

They do provide a lot for the price, and they're spacious as well. I personally wouldn't consider a Santa Fe or Sorento, but the Telluride and Palisade are pretty nice for the price.

A lot of the feedback has been that the driving experience is great, which is very encouraging. People seem to be saying that the power is "just right" for the CX-90, so when they put it into the CX-70, it should make for a really nice car.

This review by savagegeese is exactly how I felt when driving the Telluride and Palisade.

I can't wait for their review of the CX-90. From their comments, they really like the driving dynamics for the CX-90.

If you use regular gas for both vehicles, the Palisade costs much more in gas. Here in Canada the savings would be $2500 CAD after 100k km (60k miles), according to my calculations based on combined gas mileage.

The CX-90 is made in Japan. Only the CX-50 will be assembled in Alabama.
That would be welcome news! Mazda has seemed unusually coy about this, at least compared to previous launches; we knew exactly where the CX-30, CX-5, and 4th generation Mazda3 would be built well before deliveries started.

Until your response led me to search yet again (and find the interview you posted on the Mazda subreddit), the only things I could find were unsourced guesses.

The CX-90 is made in Japan. Only the CX-50 will be assembled in Alabama.
And that will turn out to be a big strategic error for the PHEV since it will not qualify for the $7500 tax credit. The PHEV will have a tougher time in the US because of that.

One from Redline Reviews.

Mazda should have just gone with a 2+3+3 or 2+2+3 configuration. Aside from adding a seatbelt for the middle "seat" in the 3rd row, everything else seems too similar in the 2+3+2 configuration to make a difference.

The lane keeping assist tech (34:22) seems much improved. In the display it shows cars ahead, cars in the adjacent lanes, and also has the blind spot indication. Would have been nice if they weren't just blocks in the adjacent lanes, but oh well.

One from Redline Reviews.

Mazda should have just gone with a 2+3+3 or 2+2+3 configuration. Aside from adding a seatbelt for the middle "seat" in the 3rd row, everything else seems too similar in the 2+3+2 configuration to make a difference.

The lane keeping assist tech (34:22) seems much improved. In the display it shows cars ahead, cars in the adjacent lanes, and also have the blind spot indication. Would have been nice if they weren't just blocks in the adjacent lanes, but oh well.
The 4 cyl sounds good in that video but much different than the cx60 augmented sounds in other vids I’ve watched. Hmm. I wonder if they tuned the cx60 sounds for the European market differently.

Interesting discussions ... I drive my 2018 MX-5 RF in the summer and I took the plunge and ordered a CX-90 PHEV GT at the end of February. Hoping for delivery soon. I have no time to waste (life is short). I will soon own the smallest and the largest Mazdas! I shall call them Beauty and the Beast! :LOL:

Then you will enjoy this interview of him from a couple years ago. I watched it last night and found it provided insight into his background and how he ended up at Mazda.

Yeah, I watched that one before. He was the reason I subscribed to Sport Compact Car magazine back in the day.

I’m strongly interested in the PHEV version and like the styling.

The PHEV seems like a really compelling option. One of the more common pain points in the reviews seem to be the slightly jerky/hard shifts at low speeds, but that is apparently a common problem with these types of transmissions. I wonder if they'll be able to smooth it out a little bit with a future TCM update.

Found this to be a pretty good comparison between the Telluride and the CX-90.

They go into a bit more detail with the feature comparison and interior. The Telluride seats are very impressive! I could live without the awful design of the screen(s) though.

In the end, its more of what you would expect - if you want an A to B people mover, the Telluride is better. If you like driving, the CX-90 is better.

Paraphrasing a quote from one of the recent reviews I watched. "your passengers may not be as comfortable compared to some other SUVs, but so what? You're the one making the payments, after all" ;)

Found this to be a pretty good comparison between the Telluride and the CX-90.

They go into a bit more detail with the feature comparison and interior. The Telluride seats are very impressive! I could live without the awful design of the screen(s) though.

In the end, its more of what you would expect - if you want an A to B people mover, the Telluride is better. If you like driving, the CX-90 is better.

Paraphrasing a quote from one of the recent reviews I watched. "your passengers may not be as comfortable compared to some other SUVs, but so what? You're the one making the payments, after all" ;)

The great news is that the Inline 6 and the 8 speed transmission look to be a real winner. I do wonder what the real MPG turns out to be. As much as I am tempted by the PHEV, I am also thinking that this might be the last chance to buy and drive a gas powered inline 6 engine!

Back