CX-9 Trailer Hitch Install

Hi guys, can I get some info please on how the trailer hitch is installed on the 2016 CX-9? Like is is just bolted on, does it need to be welded on, or do I need to drill holes somewhere?

I'm looking to get a CX-9 and get a trailer hitch installed. Not really for pulling stuff but more for attachments like a bike carrier or an external cargo box.

I do my car maintenance so I have tools. But I don't have a welder and I'm not comfortable drilling into a brand new car. If it's just bolted on I'll probably just grab the part and install myself to save on labor cost. But if it needs more steps, I'll maybe get it done in the dealer.

Also, I would think aftermarket trailer hitches would be more cheaper. Any pros/cons with going OEM vs going aftermarket?

Thanks

Good video. It won't go that fast for any first-timer (like me). Tip...keep the wires attached to the bolts until the nuts are started. If you push the bolt up into the frame while juggling the receiver into place, you get to re-fish that bolt and reinforcing plate back into position--after you've taken everything else away to get room to work. The Lisle 38350 exhaust hanger removal tool works great to get the rubber hangers off the pins. PM me to buy mine (used once) at a discount, then sell it to the next guy, who sells it to whoever's next....

Will they have a video showing how the electrical kit goes in? It's easy once you find all the snaps & keepers for the panels. Take out everything down to the spare tire & including the jack. Remove the threshold panel--just snaps out. Remove the two bolts (10 mm head), one under the black plastic grocery sack hook, one under the center cover for the chrome tie-down loop. Snap out the plastic housing for the chrome loop. Unsnap the right rear panel until you can get behind and access the connector for the electrical harness and the bolt for the ground bonding--one plastic push rivet under the now-removed threshold. Put them into place, strap down the electronic module, test the set up. A trailer wiring tester ($5) will show that things are working before you put it all back together. Juggle the panel into place so the snaps line up, and put everything back into place.

Anyone got the best idea for leading the electrical lead out of the car? I'm looking for a rubber grommet the right size for the 4-pin plug and the cable, then will drill a new hole in the spare tire well. Until then, I'll just lead the cable under the lift gate when I need it.

Last edited:
Here are the steps I used to install mine...

1. Negotiate a good deal on a new CX9.
2. When the salesperson says "do we have a deal?"
3. We do if you throw in the trailer hitch.

Done!

I've towed with it a few times now. It's a pretty slick install, they do have to notch the lower edge of the rear bumper valance.

awesome thanks

I also found the pdf instructions for the OEM hitch (can't find it again though), and found out that part of the bumper needs to be cut off for the install.

Here are the steps I used to install mine...

1. Negotiate a good deal on a new CX9.
2. When the salesperson says "do we have a deal?"
3. We do if you throw in the trailer hitch.

Done!

I've towed with it a few times now. It's a pretty slick install, they do have to notch the lower edge of the rear bumper valance.

yep I ended up doing this as well lol. I was planning on installing myself to save the $280 they wanted as labor. but I was able to talk them into covering the install cost

I installed the Curt and it was a breeze. Loosening of the mufflers to remove/install the shields and a good floor jack were needed. The jack is to get the rear Hugh enough to tilt the hitch so it will slide in. Takes about 45 minutes.

Back