CX-9 on lease but...

I currently have a cx-9 on lease (took over from my daughter) still has a while to go. I love the CX-9 but it might be a little too big for now as I have had foresters over the years. Now, I love, love, love the CX-9 handling, ride, but it's pricey and wondering how the CX-5 compares to the Forester.

Anyone have both recently?

CX-5 looks smaller than the Forester...but if the CX-5 has similar handling, tightness, power etc of the cx-9 then that might be where I go when the lease is over.

If you love the way the cx9 handles and rides, you'll most likely dislike the numbness of the subies. If you like the cx9s power, test drive the cx5 with the same turbo engine and you won't be disappointed. That and the quality is just nicer, but I'm biased.

If you love the way the cx9 handles and rides, you'll most likely dislike the numbness of the subies. If you like the cx9s power, test drive the cx5 with the same turbo engine and you won't be disappointed. That and the quality is just nicer, but I'm biased.
The Forester is numb that is a good assessment of it. If the cx-5 has the same personality as the cx-9 or similar then its a done deal, unless they come out with a cx-7. Thanks for the reply.

The Forester is numb that is a good assessment of it. If the cx-5 has the same personality as the cx-9 or similar then its a done deal, unless they come out with a cx-7. Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the CX-9 and the CX-5 have a very similar feel. I wanted the CX-5 but need the extra space for trips and such. But honestly, the CX-5 has the same sharp feel as the CX-9 but better. You will feel the bulk in the CX-9 after driving the CX-5. We have a CX-9, CX-5 and a Mazda 3 in our family and as you would expect, there is a similar feel that is just hampered by mass.

The CX-5 has more cargo room than the Forester with the back seats up, but less with them down. Due to its size and weight, the CX-5 handles better than the CX-9. Be aware that the models with a turbo have the same engine as the 9.

Due to you comment on the CX-7, I should mention that there very strong rumors of a coming CX-50 that could be slightly larger than the 5 and higher performance. Depending on your budget and timeframe, it may be worth waiting for.

Also rumors of the cx8 to the US, but if the cx5 has the size you want, and you like the ride of the cx9, you'll love the cx5. I replaced my 15 cx5 with a 20 cx9 and was much happier than I thought I'd be with it.

If I didn't want the extra space, I'd probably be in a CX-5 right now just because it's faster (0-60 in 6.3 for the CX-5 vs 7.1 in the CX-9). One other possibly minor thing to note is the difference in wheelbase. CX-5 has 106 in, CX-9 has 115 in. Typically a vehicle with a longer wheelbase will have a more comfortable, stable ride, especially at higher speeds. I'm not sure how much of a difference 9 inches makes, but test-driving both on the same highway stretch should give you the answer.

Also rumors of the cx8 to the US
Not likely. CX8 is available where there is no CX9 for sale.
So far, only in Japan, China, Thailand and Vietnam.

Mazda will produce a new CX-50 in the Alabama factory, the joint venture with Toyota.
It will be slightly bigger than CX-5 w/ new powertrains.
Among them, the 3L Skyactiv-X inline-6, making close to 286hp/265ft-lb (est.)+48V mild hybrid.
Same engine will show up in next Mazda6, which is going RWD.
8-speed auto tranny is in the work also. It's about time!!!

Back