CX-9 Head gasket repair?

The point about being open-minded is for everyone in this thread, by the way. Advice is welcomed from all angles and all perspectives. Soak it all in and make a decision based on the collective information, not necessarily one person who thinks their way is the only way.
Understood. My apologies.

Locate and contact several shops within a 30-45 minute area of yourself.
Get estimates from them for :
New engine swap parts and labor
Used engine swap parts and labor
Head gasket repair parts an labor.
This is how I would go about it. $5100 for a head gasket is too high

*Yes for NEW vehicles and used MAZDA still having a remainder left on the factory warranty ONLY!
That's not quite right when presented in that categorical way. What I see is that the parts warranty applies so long as the part is OEM and installed at a Mazda dealer, and if a subsequent failure is to the part, not due to an installation error, then the 12 month / 12,000 mile part warranty applies, and Mazda will cover both parts and labor regardless of the status of the new car warranties.

Now, you are correct with respect to service workmanship. Mazda is not guaranteeing that. It is a parts warranty, not a repair warranty. So, yes, it would be prudent to probe specifically the shop's own workmanship guarantee whether a Mazda dealer or an independent. You clearly want both--you don't want to get in the middle of p*ssing match over whether a part failed or the tech fouled up.

So, I'll ask you as an independent, if a part you replaced failed, would you redo your labor for free under your workmanship warranty? If not, that is one advantage to having a Mazda shop do the work.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not quite right when presented in that categorical way. What I see is that the parts warranty applies so long as the part is OEM and installed at a Mazda dealer, and if a subsequent failure is to the part, not due to an installation error, then the 12 month / 12,000 mile part warranty applies, and Mazda will cover both parts and labor regardless of the status of the new car warranties.

Now, you are correct with respect to service workmanship. Mazda is not guaranteeing that. It is a parts warranty, not a repair warranty. So, yes, it would be prudent to probe specifically the shop's own workmanship guarantee whether a Mazda dealer or an independent. You clearly want both--you don't want to get in the middle of p*ssing match over whether a part failed or the tech fouled up.

So, I'll ask you as an independent, if a part you replaced failed, would you redo your labor for free under your workmanship warranty? If not, that is one advantage to having a Mazda shop do the work.
just an FYI. Many dealership have been selling none OEM parts for years! . I should have been more clear and precise about that aspect of my response ,sorry. :p I would still ask or look carefully on any parts purchased from any dealership regarding warranties of parts.

My basic labor warranty over some 40 years for most all service is 30 days. I have been known to go for a few weeks more but mechanical parts tend to either work or not in the first 500-1000 miles. Complete new engines and transmission is 6mos. Anything beyond that on high dollars parts I negotiate with the distributor to do a little labor compensation. Electonics's have what we call infant mortality life. Which means that any electrical parts will work or fail (problematic is a failure) in the first 8 hours of their total use, and if not than statistically speaking will go their engineered and design usage lifespan. Now mind you , most electronic manufactures of auto parts do not list what the hour use is at least automotive parts. Now many parts like for avionics' you betcha!

OP, if you look for independent shops, look for one with longer than a 30 day warranty. Last time I went to an independent place, they had a 2 year, 24,000 mile warranty. They honored it even though I was at 23 months and just over 24,000 miles. If it took 67,000 miles for your head gasket to fail, wouldn’t you want the longer warranty on the off chance it happens again? Their labor rates were also $100/hour in NYC; one of the highest cost of living areas in the US, so I wouldn’t pay the $189/hr that some dealership in Oregon is trying to charge

OP, if you look for independent shops, look for one with longer than a 30 day warranty. Last time I went to an independent place, they had a 2 year, 24,000 mile warranty. They honored it even though I was at 23 months and just over 24,000 miles. If it took 67,000 miles for your head gasket to fail, wouldn’t you want the longer warranty on the off chance it happens again? Their labor rates were also $100/hour in NYC; one of the highest cost of living areas in the US, so I wouldn’t pay the $189/hr that some dealership in Oregon is trying to charge
Likewise, the labor rates in our area for decent mechanics is $65 to $90 per hour and the dealerships charge anywhere from $120 to $150 per hour. So unsure how labor in Oregon is $189.

If you really want the explanation, contact these following insurance companies and get the correct information.

AAA
USAA
Geico
State Farm

Those to name the few I know have the information specifically by your state and other areas of the US for service shop labor rates.

Its an eye opener , maybe we will see a lot of post editing after a few do the research? :giggle:

Oh some of you can randomly call the shops in different cities and towns in Oregon and ask them what their hourly rates are. Then try a few in California. ;)

Last edited:
Likewise, the labor rates in our area for decent mechanics is $65 to $90 per hour and the dealerships charge anywhere from $120 to $150 per hour. So unsure how labor in Oregon is $189.

Labour rates are set by the shop owners and can vary by large margins. I believe some shops can even increase or reduce their hourly rate depending on the type of work being done. I do agree that the labour quote seems to be high, so I would be calling around to other local dealerships and independents with the quote in hand to compare. IMO, it wouldn't make sense to know what a shop charges in Alberta because I'm not going to drive to Alberta to have work done. Local rates are more relevant.

@Najorohan, in addition to pricing, I'd also be looking at shop reviews to see what other people are saying about the shops you're considering. Whenever possible, if I have to pay more to have shop A with demonstrated experience in engine R&R do the job, that's probably what I'd do, instead of going with Shop B who has half the labour rate but a 2.5-star rating and a bunch of dissatisfied customer reviews.

Last time I went to an independent place, they had a 2 year, 24,000 mile warranty.
I stumbled across the linked page below. There are 14,000 shops in that NAPA network so that warranty is not uncommon. I'm not sure what, "Warranty repair costs shall in not exceed the cost of the original repair services," means. Perhaps it relates to the subsequent phrase about refunding the repair cost in lieu of redoing the repair. I'd raise the question if servicing at one of these shops..

I got that link off a local independent's web site I have not used to date. I'll get a quote from them for the expensive spark plug job on my Sienna that requires a lot of disassembly to get to the plugs on the firewall side. Funny thing--their home page says, "We are proud to offer you 'Peace of Mind' Warranty for service and repairs for 12 months or 12,000 miles."

I'd ask about this contradiction out of curiosity though it would not matter on a plug job where messing it up would be evident right quick. A major repair would be another matter.

Anyway, the moral of the story is to probe the warranty terms, especially with a major repair, question anything you don't understand, and get the official word in writing from the service writer.

Attachments

• NAPA-2021-POM-24-24-WarrantyStatement-v1-fillable-ext.pdf
    158.3 KB · Views: 106
There are 14,000 shops in that NAPA network so that warranty is not uncommon.
It took a minute, but I found the shop that did the work for me. Their warranty is through Pronto but my specific repair doesn’t look to be covered. Good on the shop for covering it out of warranty anyway.

Edit: Pronto offers the same 24 month/24k miles as NAPA

At any rate @Najorohan, you can find independent shops that stand behind their work for more than 30 days and will even stand behind it longer than Mazda would (12month/12,000mi). I agree with @sm1ke that you shouldn’t pick a low rated shop, but definitely shop the repair around; you can surely find a better rate than $5100

Last edited:
just an FYI. Many dealership have been selling none OEM parts for years!
"None" (sic) is a highly suspect assertion.

Anyway, getting back to the OP and the posted parts list, I checked one: "PY8V-13-710B; Gasket, Turbocharger; $123.89". That's an OEM part, right? I'm sure you could tell me if the "PY" prefix indicates Mazda OEM--I dunno--but if so there are lot of them in that write-up. 9956-21-000 is also OEM, right? Maybe the whole shebang is OEM, you tell me. In that laundry list of parts I'd bet there are some you couldn't find in the aftermarket if you wanted to.

Regardless, that OEM gasket can be had at retail for $89.56 at the link below. There's a another seller a couple of bucks cheaper.

If you put that item in their cart a pop up a box states they are discounting off an MSRP of $123.89, the same price as in the OP's parts list.

Should the OP be paying MSPR that is 38% over retail (24% if I add $10.62 for shipping to my house) for a part (or parts) together with a $185.00/hr. labor rate? I don't think so.

Alternate quotes, from another Mazda dealer or an independent with a decent warranty would be in order.

For stealership to charge msrp vs the lower retail found elsewhere isn't unlawful but rather just a subjective matter of ethics. That's why I'm firm this place is just squeezing the OP.

For stealership to charge msrp vs the lower retail found elsewhere isn't unlawful but rather just a subjective matter of ethics. That's why I'm firm this place is just squeezing the OP.
It's their business model. I don't think you can claim a business targeting a profit margin of their choosing is unethical unless you want to characterize capitalism as such. I'm sure they expect a certain percentage of potential customers to go elsewhere after getting quotes like this.

"Stealership" is a broad brush anyway. I just had a Mazda dealer do a synthetic oil change for $57.81 + tax. I asked for a rotation but they said to skip it since I had a little more tread on the fronts already, a good call upon my reexamination. They did the Full Circle Report and washed the car. They apologized in advance for a 1 1/2 hour wait, being backed up that day, and had it out in 1 1/4. You can't ask any more than that.

Perhaps the OP dealer reckons a percentage of folks will see a value add in what they provide, techs who work on these vehicles day and day out, aiming for lower volume but higher margins. Or perhaps profits are suffering with no new cars on the lot or perhaps their service area is booked to the gills and would be willing to take it on and bump somebody else if the profit margin is generous. Who knows? It's a free country to set a price and the prospective customer is free to accept or decline.

Here's an example in a different business. I have a 60'-70' poplar I want taken down and have the stump ground, another large poplar that needs some large limbs pruned off that are hanging over the house and then more limbs cut to balance it out, and a couple of red oaks that I'd like to have the dead wood cut off up to about 20-25 feet. All that is to be hauled away.

The quote I got yesterday was $3,795. No job is identical but from discussions from neighbors who had other outfits do their jobs I had a ballpark figure in mind of $2,000, $2,500 tops. I had noticed in their universally complimentary reviews there was no mention of reasonable cost. Is he unethically gouging with that quote if one wants to view capitalism that way?

Here's the thing. Two other outfits closer by that are complimented all over the place for service and price are not returning my calls, twice to each of them. I've gotten two personal recommendations for a firefighter who moonlights doing tree service who is probably the lowest cost option--but he rents equipment if needed so who knows without a quote, then I'd have to get somebody else to grind the stump. Then there's the question of his licensing and insurance which the other actual businesses make a point of confirming that on their web sites. Alas, the fireman also is not answering my calls. I've got another call into a fifth outfit further afield with a fancy web site--we'll see where that goes.

Why all the problems getting people to even return calls? Maybe because emerald ash borer swept through this region a couple of years ago and there's still plenty of work in that regard. The guy with that high quote came out within 24 hours of my call to estimate the job. The quote shows he'd be bringing 4 trucks, a high-lift, a stump grinder, a wood chipper and something else I can't make out. So he's going to bang out the job in one day before sundown if not before lunch. There's a business model at work here that says "service for a cost".

Perhaps that Mazda dealer views themselves as selling service at a cost, evidently having enough folks take them up on it, understanding others such as you or I would look elsewhere. That's not stealing.

If I don't hear back from the last guy I've called, I'll have a choice: try to talk down that $3,750 (doubtful), pay the price, or take another shot with those other guys in the fall or next spring when they might be answering calls.

Last edited by a moderator:
"None" (sic) is a highly suspect assertion.
I did not specify what parts but I am sure if you go to any dealership you are going to find in the parts department none OEM parts offered. ;)

The NAPA warranty used as an example in this thread does not cover engine and transmission which would a separate standalone warranty depending on whom the supplier of those 2 major items are. .

I have ordered Jasper from them and the warranty is totally separate even at wholesale shop level

It would have been great if the OP would have shared the final cost and outcome of the repairs. Just stumbled upon this youtube channel for similar issue with initial estimates of 3-4k -
I bought the 2023 Touring in Dec 2022 and hope the issue is addressed by Mazda

Back