CX-7 Details and Spy Shot?

Antoine

Administrator
Spy Shots: 07 Mazda CX-7

A crossover SUV from the zoom-zoom brand.
by Hans Lehmann/Hidden Image (2005-07-04) thecarconnection.com

9761_XXNIQOMAFARWM.jpg

At last January's North American International Auto Show inDetroit, Mazda showed its MX-Crossport concept vehicle, and noted that such a sporty crossover vehicle was definitely headed to production. More recently, Mazda announced that the new SUV would be named the CX-7. Now these latest photos capture a prototype CX-7 undergoing testing in the US southwest.

The test prototype, disguised as a minivan, was being driven in a convoy along with a BMW X5, Volkswagen Touareg, Toyota Highlander, and a Honda Pilot. This allowed the Mazda testers to thoroughly compare the performance, handling, and comfort of the new CX-7 against its competitors. It is interesting to note that Mazda would test its vehicle as compared to the BMW X5 and VW Touareg, vehicles that are notably more costly than the CX-7 will be.

Just one look at the big alloy wheels and low-profile tires is all it takes to know that this SUV is made to tear up twisty highways, not to go off-road climbing over boulders. Indeed Mazda has already made it clear that the CX-7 will have the utility of an SUV, but the handling dynamics of a sports sedan. The size of the CX-7 will likely be similar to the MX-Crossport concept vehicle, which is 182.3 inches in length, 76.0 inches wide, and 64.2 inches high, riding on a wheelbase of 110.0 inches. The engine will likely be a 3.0- to 3.5-liter V-6.

The new CX-7 is expected to be introduced in late 2006 or early 2007.

Don't freak out people...The minivan appearance is most likely a MPV shell over a CX-7 chassis and drivetrain in testing...;)

Mazda is not going to design a entirely new vehcile that just ends up looking just like the MPV...put on your thinking caps :D

haha first thing that popped in my head... interesting though. I really like the cx-7 design.

Antoine said:
Don't freak out people...The minivan appearance is most likely a MPV shell over a CX-7 chassis and drivetrain in testing...;)

Mazda is not going to design a entirely new vehcile that just ends up looking just like the MPV...put on your thinking caps :D

ya i mean look at the wheel wells. they look like their opened up alot! those wheels arent bad either.
seanmcsean said:
that mpv shell looks really tiny on the cx7 chassis

I don't get it, they would just let Mazda join in on their Canyon testing runs? So isn't that like James Bond Spy work?:) In theory if you get to scout your opponents - competitors in this case- shouldn't you be victorious in everyway... but then again this is the automotive industry... there must always be something to improve on.

Those are some beefy discs up front. Can't wait for this beast!

Back