CX-50 Dimensional Specs

No USB charging in the rear armrest?
No. I personally dislike it’s position in the CX-5. Cannot be used unless the armrest is down, and it’s angled to the driver’s side passenger. Mazda moved them to a more sensible location along with the heated seat controls.

Attachments

• D6EC7633-7AF8-49C3-864C-2BD059ABF1BB.jpeg
    D6EC7633-7AF8-49C3-864C-2BD059ABF1BB.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 211
I bit disappointing really…I expected more cargo capabilities and better storage management. The armrest seems smaller than the one in the Mazda3 and there is no under floor storage in the back cargo area.

Love the exterior design, but in general, it looks like it has worse quality materials / build than the CX5.

I hope that the CX60 brings a better quality interior design…which will translate to the CX70 here in the US.

I bit disappointing really…I expected more cargo capabilities and better storage management. The armrest seems smaller than the one in the Mazda3 and there is no under floor storage in the back cargo area.

Love the exterior design, but in general, it looks like it has worse quality materials / build than the CX5.

I hope that the CX60 brings a better quality interior design…which will translate to the CX70 here in the US.
Fair enough. Not any one particular vehicle is going to satisfy every breed of buyer. Hopefully the larger upcoming models satisfy other costumers. It looks a decent size, but I’m not a fan of the front end styling of the 60’ myself. That would honestly be a deal breaker for me. Hoping the CX-70 and 90 hit the spot that the CX-50 won’t for some.

Agree, not a fan of the squeezed look on the CX-60 but we know design compromises were needed to make it narrow for the market whereas for US, the CX-70 Mazda will be free to go wider and have the double lights again.

@ShaneleR curious what's your take on the Turbo from how it drives to gas mileage, etc. I asked because I was set on the Premium Plus CX-50 with the terracotta interior until Mazda updated the press release to list the Terracotta interior color exclusive to Turbo trims only.

@ShaneleR curious what's your take on the Turbo from how it drives to gas mileage, etc. I asked because I was set on the Premium Plus CX-50 with the terracotta interior until Mazda updated the press release to list the Terracotta interior color exclusive to Turbo trims only.
Don't you think letting the color of the upholstery dictate the drive train choice is the tail wagging the dog, circuses over bread, however one wants to put it?

No. I personally dislike it’s position in the CX-5. Cannot be used unless the armrest is down, and it’s angled to the driver’s side passenger. Mazda moved them to a more sensible location along with the heated seat controls.
I agree. On the CX-50 if you have 3 passengers on the rear seat (typically kids with their phone/tablet) at least 2 can use the USB ports, not so on the CX-5. Speaking of rear seat, did you find out if it reclines? No mention anywhere...

Not at all, both are great drive trains and I fell in love with that interior so I can’t argue with the heart.
From what I read, all trims except turbo come with black seats cloth, leatherette or leather. I wish we would have more choices. Perhaps one day a Carbon Edition with red leather!!!

I agree. On the CX-50 if you have 3 passengers on the rear seat (typically kids with their phone/tablet) at least 2 can use the USB ports, not so on the CX-5. Speaking of rear seat, did you find out if it reclines? No mention anywhere...
I have not tried this on my CX5, but the USB charge ports should continue to work even if the center arm rest is put up when you have passenger in the middle. Just thin USB wires. Not a big issue. Am I wrong?
Sure, if one wants to plug in while the vehicle is in motion, that would be inconvenient.

From what I read, all trims except turbo come with black seats cloth, leatherette or leather. I wish we would have more choices. Perhaps one day a Carbon Edition with red leather!!!
When checking the specs, I see the Black cloth is only on the base 2.5 S trim, Black leatherette (and maybe Ash Ochre) on Select, Preferred and Preferred Plus, and Black leather on the rest with Terracota and Black on the Turbo trims.

I agree, hopefully there's more to it then that, the specs afterall has Terracota listed on the Premium trims which mazda has since corrected.

Agree, not a fan of the squeezed look on the CX-60 but we know design compromises were needed to make it narrow for the market whereas for US, the CX-70 Mazda will be free to go wider and have the double lights again.

With any Turbocharged engine, you are losing gas mileage. That’s just a given. I test drove both a ‘21 CX-5 Sig and a turbocharged CX-30. They were peppy and much more fun to drive. And that’s coming from a non turbo owner who already thinks it’s fun. I want the turbo for the Torque increase and the Towing capacity increases. Also…who doesn’t enjoy the spooling sounds of a turbocharger? I live in a relatively small city so MPGs are already low. Once I move to the midwest I will be traveling a lot more long distance and on the highway; MPG will be much more efficient. So my honest opinion is if you live in a really busy city and do very little activities that justify needing a turbo, don’t get one. The regular ole 2.5 non turbos are just as great. Also keep on the look out for the hybrid model coming around the corner.

I’m sure they recline slightly like in the CX-5 (a lot of people don’t even know the CX-5 has adjustable rear seats). We didn’t check for that specifically just because logically, I don’t think it’s a big enough car to expect fully reclining rear seats as an option. Again, the CX-5 reclines only slightly. The CX-9 is the model with fully reclining seats. Personally not a deal breaker for me as I will not use this car to haul passengers, only camera gear, hiking gear and dogs.

Don't you think letting the color of the upholstery dictate the drive train choice is the tail wagging the dog, circuses over bread, however one wants to put it
I believe the Carbon edition will remain exclusive the the other models. I see no point in the carbon edition for the CX-50 when the exterior design is already black themed stock on all trims. And Polymetal gray is now a factory color option for more than just one trim level of this model. Now if made an exclusive trim level other than the Meridian, with say…More adventurous paint colors, dark blue leather, black headliner and black wheels; They would have my attention. Not many manufacturers are that bold, besides Lexus nowadays. If we bug Mazda enough, they’ll feed us.

Yup. Most of the photos in that video are my own. If you have any questions let me know, or if you want specific pictures. We took an album’s worth. Tried to capture everything we could.
What’s the track width? And if different from cx5, how much of a driving/handling difference will that make?

It won't have 34" of headroom unless Mazda wants to sell it to Hobbits. But this is a stubborn company, they still won't touch screen, and they have you sit in a pretty offbeat driving position.

I hope they don't screw it up, the RAV PHEV in one of these would pretty much nail it, even if it would be a mid 50's vehicle in this market.

I don't think there will be anyone who has a problem choosing between the 5 and the 50 as they won;t be much alike. I always like having the lateest and greatest and will still look at the 50 when it arrives, but I think it will be way different, with the 5 being closer to a sport coupe - like vehicke (why a bunch of us bout it to begin with) with a sportier driving dynamic, while the 50 might suit a young active couple with a child or two.

I don't think there will be anyone who has a problem choosing between the 5 and the 50 as they won;t be much alike. I always like having the lateest and greatest and will still look at the 50 when it arrives, but I think it will be way different, with the 5 being closer to a sport coupe - like vehicke (why a bunch of us bout it to begin with) with a sportier driving dynamic, while the 50 might suit a young active couple with a child or two.
Once you get past the inside baseball hair splitting and marketing blah-blahs the vast majority of potential buyers will find the differences to be negligible. What combination of features in which trim at what price would be the primary differentiators. I doubt CX-5 will be around in the US beyond the point where CX-50 production levels can take over the sales leader banner.

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer the height of the CX-5 and don't want something too big. I want more towing capacity, and prefer a plug-in hybrid.

Want AWD, but no interest in going off-road, camping or adventures.

Back