Guide CX-5 Universal Oil Catch Can Installation

Hi guys , would like to share another video for our Mazda CX 5.
This application will be suitable for the right hand drive only.

Another nice video. Making the bracket would be a problem for most of us. The oil in intake manifold is still excessive to me. And hopefully you’ll report back how much blow-by gas and oil will be collected in your catch can in the near future.

Great video! Thanks @felixd. I just wanted to add that the bracket makes for a nice, clean installation, but there's room to install the OCC in a few different places without a bracket if you're willing to get a little creative. The bracket does look more professional, for sure.

I don't think anyone proved or disproved it. There is also a chance that it makes carbon buildup worse.
When you see how much blow-by gases and oils been intercepted in the catch can (i.e. Chris_Top_Her), you should at least feel better. Or those gases and oils will be suck into the intake manifold and should contribute the carbon deposit on the intake valves in theory. I can’t see there’s any way the oil catch can would make carbon buildup worse though.

I would think the quantity you get vs the mileage indicates engine condition and types of driving. Are these catch cans filling up in 1000 miles or 5000 miles?

There was some discussion about oil catch cans for the CX 5 turbo on the BITOG Forums recently. I tried to find it again and provide a link but didn't have much luck.
Anyway, one person commented that the design of the Mazda Skyactiv engine was such that it wasn't necessary. I would do some further research before adding what may be an unnecessary accessory to my car.

Why aren’t manufactures installing more baffling that would allow drain back to crankcase if the amount of oil is that significant?

There was some discussion about oil catch cans for the CX 5 turbo on the BITOG Forums recently. I tried to find it again and provide a link but didn't have much luck.
Anyway, one person commented that the design of the Mazda Skyactiv engine was such that it wasn't necessary. I would do some further research before adding what may be an unnecessary accessory to my car.
That is my thinking on both those points.

It might make it worse if the catch can acts as a cooler or moisture condenser and by the time the waste reaches the valve it is too cool or wet to burn up completely. I think Felixd will be able to show results which will be extremely interesting.

It might make it worse if the catch can acts as a cooler or moisture condenser and by the time the waste reaches the valve it is too cool or wet to burn up completely. I think Felixd will be able to show results which will be extremely interesting.
With all the oils we’ve seen in the manifold when Felixd took the intake manifold off twice, apparently the factory “catch can” didn’t do a good job to catch those blow-by gases and oils.

IMHO, seeing some oil in the OCC does not prove that it works well.
Does it improve 0.01% or 99.9%?

Maybe I will ask Mr. "Project Farm" on Youtube to do it....

Reactions: AVC

Go for it. IMHO something is better than nothing WRT the benefit of the catch can - nothing is better than something when it comes to the PCV system as a whole :).

My point as well; for many of the "dramatic" catch can videos, it would appear an ounce or so of oil was captured (out of 154 oz crankcase fill) at the specified OCI of 5000 to 7500 miles. So 0.65% captured. In some cases don't tell how often they empty the can, so it could be several OCI's or more. The majority of what is captured by those cans appears to be water, either slurried with the captured oil or still separated. Most don't compare what's in the can vs the amount drained from the crankcase and used filter, so to understand (roughly) how much oil mist got by the catch can.

Last edited:
The majority of what is captured by those cans appears to be water, either slurried with the captured oil or still separated.
This’s not true. Most blow-by stuff captured by catch can is dirty oil. Just ask Chris_Top_Her, but the pictures he posted were gone after our server upgrade. Actually you can see 2 videos felixd posted how much oil found in the intake manifold which could be collected by the catch can.

hmm, then I'm watched the wrong videos. I saw felilxd videos. From his valve cleaning video at about 28km to this catch can disassembly video at 41km (13km or ~ 8k miles), he observes *some* oil, but unless I missed where he drained the intake manifold and measured, it would appear to be fractions of an ounce coating the intake manifold. Did Felix quantify it further? Otherwise, I too am waiting for felix to post results from his catch can use. If it captures a *significant* amount of oil, I'll wait until after 60k miles to consider a catch can, so as not to risk drivetrain warranty.

We also don't know whether his (our) PCV valve condition contributes to the oil consumption. You might/should have to clean it or replace at regular intervals, which requires an intake manifold removal anyway.

Something else to consider; manual valve cleaning was really quite simple to do at about 30k miles. There was minor carbon buildup at that point, and I'm glad to repeat that procedure every 30k ~ 50k miles or so, especially if a capture can is only moderately effective.

Back