CX-5 Touring - Get the Bose or not?

wardorican

:
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon
I've looked through here and saw a lot of people weren't happy with the stock speakers/radio. I know people are going to tell me to get aftermarket speakers, but the basic question is if I go with the Touring Trim, is the Bose/Moonroof package worth it? Is it a "good enough" upgrade?

I had the Bose sound system on my 2004 Mazda 6s Wagon and found it pretty solid. Just wondering what the opinions were around here.

Thanks.

I have the Bose and like it. I had one in my 07 and now in the CX5. A good system IMO. Ed

I think it's good. Especially for a bose product. Bose home theater is total crap. Unfortunately there is no mid control and the bass can be boomy at times but yet still not provide quite deep enough bass because there is no subwoofer. BUT, compared to the non bose system, it is much much better.

I like the Bose system in my CX5. I had the non-bose in my old CX7 and hated it, so this was a big upgrade for me. From what I can tell from other posts, the Bose is good but not great as compared to what you might be able to do aftermarket.

In my eyes, the sunroof is a must have. It makes the cabin feel so open and airy since a lot of the materials of the interior are very dark.

For factory stock, the Bose is more than adequate for most drivers IMO. Anything more and yeah, you'll want an aftermarket setup.

"Good not great" nails it. Totally different beast than the Bose unit in my 350z, which my GF referred to as the "arrhythmia maker". CX-5 version definitely lacks solid bass, but there are several threads on adding a drop-in, low profile sub under the pass seat. Which I intend to do if the puddles of melted snow on the garage floor ever dry up.

How about one of these:
Bose_Cntrpnt_Bass_Module.JPG

I love the Bose option. For me the sunroof was a must as well, I have never had a sunroof so since I had the opportunity I had to get it plus it was the only Pearl White in the area. If you are the type that wants to modify the stereo then get the base and upgrade as you want. But if you want good sound without the hassle then go Bose. Its a nice system, not stellar but nice.

Where did you find this? Looks interesting, I wonder how much wiring it needs.
How about one of these:
Bose_Cntrpnt_Bass_Module.JPG

The Sub looks like what they did on the Gen 1 Mazda 6 with bose. Not sure if other Mazda's did the same thing.

Most "basic" car stereo's in sub $40k cars bite. A moonroof is key for me so it was a no brainer to get the Bose. The Bose is ok and pumps out some decent sound. If you don't care about a moonroof, you can save the $1k and use some of it for an aftermarket upgrade.

It sounds clear. I found the default settings were a little too front-centric and not enough bass, but the touch screen controls were easy enough to adjust.

Sound is always so subjective.
I have had a lot of aftermarket systems over the years yet I think that the Bose system is a very good choice. The bass does not go down to subwoofer levels and this is a very good thing for me personally. Unless they are set up just right, I find most subwoofers to be a little obnoxious. There can be so much variation in the sound whether it's FM, CD, iPod or whatever-with systems I have had in the past, I was always adjusting the sub levels because they're never just right for all sources.
The Bose system is a very good choice for me and has the traditional Bose sound, one that I like-mid range is very good. It sounds good no matter what source I listen to.

I wanted a sunroof so had no choice but to get the package which included the Bose. If you are happy just listening to music as a background source, then the Bose is fine. (until the paper cones get brittle and crack a year or so from now) If you really enjoy listening to the nuances of music you will not be happy with the Bose. If I could do it again I would not have purchased this package and would have had a sunroof installed locally and been able to easily upgrade the stereo. Once you get the Bose 9 speaker system the upgrade (other than the speakers in the doors and dash is not easy.)

I wanted the Tech package in my 2014 Touring (mainly for the HID lights, but Nav is fine), and unfortunately Moonroof/Bose is a must to get the Tech Package :(
That being said, the Bose is fine. I'm no car audio freak and I'm happy with it.

Back