CX-5 seat rocks slightly

Hi all,

I have a 2016 CX-5 with leather power seats. The drivers seat rocks slightly when stopping and accelerating.

Mazda told me they won't cover the cost because I am off warranty and it's not considered a safety issue. I only have 86,000 kms on it and they said a new seat frame is $1,800, I love the car but the seat annoys me so much that I am thinking of trading on something else rathe than waste $1800 of a frame.

Does anyone know exactly where the rocking is occurring? I am thinking about just do a quick tack weld or repair and saving $1800 but I am not sure where the pay is in the frame. If you do can you send a pic of the frame and circle the components that were bad?

The frame is OEM part number KAY1-88-AF0

If you have any advice or experience with this please let me know.

Thank you.

My 2015 did it and the dealer would not warranty it, even inside the 3/36 warranty.

Try a salvage yard.

My 2016 Touring doesn't rock.

Upvote 0
I had this problem on a different make. I think the fix was a shim.

I would want to find the cause in case it is a serious defect. Sometimes a matchbook might not be enough and might require a weld, or even replacement.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I have a 2016 CX-5 with leather power seats. The drivers seat rocks slightly when stopping and accelerating.

Mazda told me they won't cover the cost because I am off warranty and it's not considered a safety issue. I only have 86,000 kms on it and they said a new seat frame is $1,800, I love the car but the seat annoys me so much that I am thinking of trading on something else rathe than waste $1800 of a frame.

Does anyone know exactly where the rocking is occurring? I am thinking about just do a quick tack weld or repair and saving $1800 but I am not sure where the pay is in the frame. If you do can you send a pic of the frame and circle the components that were bad?

The frame is OEM part number KAY1-88-AF0

If you have any advice or experience with this please let me know.

Thank you.
There’re quite a few such complains on gen-1 CX-5, and the only fix is to replace the rail, if the seat back isn’t the issue. In fact a member used to be here the driver seat still kept rocking after the seat rail replacement under warranty. Your seat rail didn’t rock when it was new, now it rocks which means the rail has worn out creating the unacceptable clearance and makes the seat rocks. I really don’t believe you can fix the clearance by welding due to the natural of the design on seat rails. The best bet is to find a used one at the salvage yard. But the problem is they usually want to sell you the whole seat which would be expensive, and the shipping will be expensive too due to the weight and size if you can’t find one in local yards. If I were you, I’d live with it, or consider another car.

Upvote 0
Back