2016~2023 CX-5 Running Boards

Anyone put running boards on their 2nd gen? Were they offical mazda ones? If not, Which did you get? How do you like them? Pics if you can as well.

Anyone put running boards on their 2nd gen? Were they offical mazda ones? If not, Which did you get? How do you like them? Pics if you can as well.
Bought some boards off Amazon. Nice, black and silver ...really looked great online(and looked wide). However when received them, they were too skinny (only like 4 inches) to be of any use. Would have made the cx5 look great but we're of no practical utility use as barely any foot pad, especially once the boards are attached as part of the board will hidden under the body

Be aware that any large purchases bought on Amazon comes from overseas and shipping them back may cost more than the purchase.)

If anyone wants running boards that are actually wide enough for foot traffic, get Romik boards. They are 5.5 inch to 6 inch wide boards. Eventually I may get a set of Romik's to put on. For now I'm boardless until I find a design I like that's wide like the Romik's. One of the Romik boards looks nice but haven't decided yet. The Amazon seller boards really complemented the Mazda look but lacked utility while the Romik boards are functional but so-so in design/appearance.

Last edited:
I've thought about getting running boards for my CX-9 to make it easier for my 4 year old to climb into the car, and also to clean the roof. I'm just worried about how much clearance I'll lose with running boards installed (if any).

Or I could just do air suspension. 🤣 :unsure:

I've thought about getting running boards for my CX-9 to make it easier for my 4 year old to climb into the car, and also to clean the roof. I'm just worried about how much clearance I'll lose with running boards installed (if any).

Or I could just do air suspension. 🤣 :unsure:
Yeah. Wish the Mazda had more ground clearance. My previous vehicles had more clearance.

It depends on the boards. Will lose a little bit of clearance.
I supported them next to the cx5 and will lose some but not much clearance with the boards. Some boards are designed with brackets to streamline close to the frame. The Romik boards are wider but the support brackets stick down from the frame more so than the Chinese brands. So it's a tradeoff.

Was eventually
planning to raise the suspension about an 1/2 inch to an 1 inch which would offset any loss.

Amazon: Always check the Return Policy. Some things are either not returnable or as Jack mentioned, very impractical to return. If a non-returnable item is defective Amazon may issue a refund.

Back