CX-5 Resale value

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
When I researched and bought my '16 1 think I didn't consider is re-sale value. Now, I plan to keep it 5 years and things go well 7 years. The issue is many here, in NJ is commenting about Mazda's resale value, specifically in comparison to competitors. I am NOT saying its bad, but its mixed. What I gathered is Honda has the highest resale value, followed by Toyota and then Nissan/Mazda.

Of course one may bring arguments like condition of car, ODO readings, sedan vs CUV, etc., etc. but keeping everything constant, i.e. assume its of the same year, same mileage, same vehicle type and overall same condition - interiors, electrical, exterior, etc., etc. what's your comments on resale value?

I would also like to preferably keep to the main Jap contenders and maybe add Suibaru and Hyundai.

Mazda has the lowest owners cost for 5 years including resale according to Edmunds.com. Where did you get your information because I would like to review it myself.. Ed

I personally don't believe resale value goes by company, it's more so by model. Minivans for example are a niche market. Very few people want them and people usually get rid of them fairly quickly too and move on to a SUV as there small ones get a bit older. You also got specific cars which will do really well for a era and always hold a higher value. Mitsubishi resale value typically is fairly poor, but if you look at a Evo, that specific model is always in demand even as it gets older. Heck tradein for my 2006 I still got $18,500 with it being 10 years old and paid $30k new. I probably could of gotten $22k private, but made $1500 in parts i removed on top of trade in so didn't think it was worth it. I'm not saying the CX-5 is an evo and always in demand, but right now in the SUV market it's considered one of the best its in class for price range so that may help it in the long run too. It's really a crapshoot and you don't know what will happen til the time comes though.

Yeah I think the CX-5 holds its value very well. The reason I ended up with a 16 and not a 14 or 15. The 14 and 15s were still $26k-27k in what I was looking for, so I just put up the extra couple thousand to have a new 16. But, the older ones were holding strong.

In the 5-7 years you plan to own your CX-5, gas will almost certainly be north of $4/gallon. This is good for Mazda vs. other brands (especially if you have the 2.0L) but it's bad for SUV/CUV demand in general. So a bit of a mixed blessing. However, if the current high reliability of the CX-5 translates to high longevity down the road, that will benefit resale values more than anything.

I bought my 2015 touring with 27k on odo for $21,200 iirc, and got 2k over kbb good trade in for my jeep grand cherokee

It's been interesting to me how much the sales of big vehicles has gone up with the decrease in gas $$$. Like you say, it's not if it will go up, as much as when.

I have no data. Just hearsay. Anyways it lot depends on car. Agreed. In general what I am hearing is Honda attracts max resale value. Also, that what was optional few years back come standard. So, if you have a car say bought in 2013 and went for the gps now it's standard and folks are demanding it. I personally think the cx5 is really holding up. Are there any 2013 users who traded out or upgraded? Maybe good to know their feedback.

IMO...Skyactiv models and a Mazda emancipated from Ford a few years back should help resale as well.

Yeah I think the CX-5 holds its value very well. The reason I ended up with a 16 and not a 14 or 15. The 14 and 15s were still $26k-27k in what I was looking for, so I just put up the extra couple thousand to have a new 16. But, the older ones were holding strong.

What the used CX-5s you saw were listed for doesn't mean much. What matters is what they actually SELL for. Like you said, if you can buy a new one for just a couple thousands more, the owners of the used ones will have a hard time selling theirs for the asked price. Buyers also take into account the fact that the interest rate on a used car loan is higher than on a new car, and they'll get bumper to bumper warranty for 3 years etc... Heck you can even get 0% on a new car purchase. All things considered, people shouldn't expect to sell a used Mazda, or any other vehicle, without taking a hit.

The same thing can be said of Harley motorcycles. They are supposed to hold their value very well, except when you try to sell a used one. Don't ask me how I know.

Another element to help estimate the actual value of a used car is to check the buy out option at the end of a lease, say 3 years/36,000 miles. This will show you how much they depreciate.

Last edited:
What the used CX-5s you saw were listed for doesn't mean much. What matters is what they actually SELL for. Like you said, if you can buy a new one for just a couple thousands more, the owners of the used ones will have a hard time selling theirs for the asked price. Buyers also take into account the fact that the interest rate on a used car loan is higher than on a new car, and they'll get bumper to bumper warranty for 3 years etc... Heck you can even get 0% on a new car purchase. All things considered, people shouldn't expect to sell a used Mazda, or any other vehicle, without taking a hit.

The same thing can be said of Harley motorcycles. They are supposed to hold their value very well, except when you try to sell a used one. Don't ask me how I know.

Another element to help estimate the actual value of a used car is to check the buy out option at the end of a lease, say 3 years/36,000 miles. This will show you how much they depreciate.

Very true, but the multiple dealers I went to, they weren't budging much on their prices. So I believe those 14/15s were going to and did sell for very close to original asking price.

If a s*cker is willing to pay only $2K less than new for a 2yo used car, no problem, but I doubt many people will.

If a s*cker is willing to pay only $2K less than new for a 2yo used car, no problem, but I doubt many people will.

Agreed. Mazda has very low resale value, in the CX-5 platform, based on my purchase experience. To be blunt, that is why I bought Mazda. It was dirt cheap to buy a used 2015, and I was making a lot less at the time than I was 6 months prior, and honestly freaked a bit about D/I and whatnot.

Perhaps a regional thing?.. here in the Northwest the CX-5 prices hold themselves well.

Maybe. I can't see how, though, because the CUV market where I live is HUGE! I see CX-5's and other CUV's all OVER the place. Of course, I see lots of stuff here. G55's, Vipers, AMG and ///M cars, a few of the new Huracan's and a Merculago or two around town, Exige's, Romeo's etc. so I guess there is an "everything" market where I live. Kinda cool for a town of 50 thousand to have all this cool hardware to stare at, even if I can't buy it, lol!

All things considered, people shouldn't expect to sell a used Mazda, or any other vehicle, without taking a hit.

A good friend of mine bought a new Ferrari years ago for around $60,000. It was his daily driver and he was an avid whitewater kayaker so, naturally, he mounted a kayak rack on the roof. Other whitewater people thought he was crazy for putting a rack on a Ferrari (even though he removed it at the end of each days runs). But he was putting a lot of miles on the car and getting tired of the high cost of regular maintenance (it required frequent valve adjustments) and his income had declined due to a change of career. I think a regular service with valve adjustments was over $2000! So he sold it after 8 years of ownership. By this time the car was in very high demand and he sold it for more than his purchase price including all his maintenance bills from the Ferrari dealer!

Yes, not typical but a happy (and profitable) car ownership experience.

I knew that couldn't last. Harley was purposefully limiting production slightly below the growing demand. Eventually the market was flooded anyway due to the number of people that didn't buy them to ride, just as a status symbol. Most of them are still sitting in garages with low miles. It will be many decades before they reach parity (if ever) due to the sheer number of them out there. And they are over-weight. Everyone hops them up a bit because they are so under-powered and then they stink like raw gas.

It amazes me how much demand there was in America for overpriced 1960's technology. I guess if you put enough chrome on them it blinds some motorcycle consumers.

Well, it will show you how much they EXPECT them to depreciate (because no one can predict the future). Sometimes they are wrong.

Maybe. I can't see how, though, because the CUV market where I live is HUGE! I see CX-5's and other CUV's all OVER the place. Of course, I see lots of stuff here. G55's, Vipers, AMG and ///M cars, a few of the new Huracan's and a Merculago or two around town, Exige's, Romeo's etc. so I guess there is an "everything" market where I live. Kinda cool for a town of 50 thousand to have all this cool hardware to stare at, even if I can't buy it, lol!

Same here but lots of people... drive in the burbs east of Seattle and you will see supercars you generally only see in magazines or online equivalent

Same here but lots of people... drive in the burbs east of Seattle and you will see supercars you generally only see in magazines or online equivalent

I'm just saying that it's a very strong economy for autos here. I can't see why the CX-5 would have a "special low resale" here.

A good friend of mine bought a new Ferrari years ago for around $60,000. It was his daily driver and he was an avid whitewater kayaker so, naturally, he mounted a kayak rack on the roof. Other whitewater people thought he was crazy for putting a rack on a Ferrari (even though he removed it at the end of each days runs). But he was putting a lot of miles on the car and getting tired of the high cost of regular maintenance (it required frequent valve adjustments) and his income had declined due to a change of career. I think a regular service with valve adjustments was over $2000! So he sold it after 8 years of ownership. By this time the car was in very high demand and he sold it for more than his purchase price including all his maintenance bills from the Ferrari dealer!

Yes, not typical but a happy (and profitable) car ownership experience.

I knew that couldn't last. Harley was purposefully limiting production slightly below the growing demand. Eventually the market was flooded anyway due to the number of people that didn't buy them to ride, just as a status symbol. Most of them are still sitting in garages with low miles. It will be many decades before they reach parity (if ever) due to the sheer number of them out there. And they are over-weight. Everyone hops them up a bit because they are so under-powered and then they stink like raw gas.

It amazes me how much demand there was in America for overpriced 1960's technology. I guess if you put enough chrome on them it blinds some motorcycle consumers.

Well, it will show you how much they EXPECT them to depreciate (because no one can predict the future). Sometimes they are wrong.
Harley is a culture. That said, my Dad has an '82 Sportster that is only lacking upholstery and he has about $1500? in the bike. Motor blows 130psi on both cylinders. Straight frame. Etc.

I'm just saying that it's a very strong economy for autos here. I can't see why the CX-5 would have a "special low resale" here.

When I bought by G back in 2007 the few local dealers here wouldn't budge off of MSRP since it was a redesigned model. I decided to email California dealers and got one at invoice and shipped up to WA state for $700. Even with shipping I saved over $4k since sales tax was based on my home versus the near 10% charged at the dealer to the south.

Back