Weird CX-5 on Autotrader

:
2019 CX-5 AWD

I check out the CX-5 on Autotrader to look at alternative colors and keep up on resale value (which is quite good, in my opinion). This one got my attention. Looks OK on the outside, but what the heck is going with the interior?

9484f69df83f4aedac709a75a84d994a.jpg

e9166ab2bc7242e6a1815d3c422cbcf5.jpg

d6a22605ed1643fbbb25a4a6eb59b9a1.jpg

6c7f656a2b574970bc87a0b7fa212a2a.jpg

7e0d50a0b84741279f9d3d353cdf202b.jpg

0ca4cdfefce8451499bc9281285c8598.jpg

Was this owned by a crazy person who needed to key/shank their car? Crazy rental driver?

Last edited:
Look at that carpet in the third pic. Awful.
Two things come to mind.
Firstly, if this is a car on a dealer lot, what are they thinking by presenting it this way? Who's going to buy it?
Secondly, if this is the way the previous owner "took care of it", what is it like mechanically?
The cosmetic appearance of a car reflects the owners attitude and commitment towards maintaining their vehicle. I doubt this vehicle was looked after in any shape or form.
I'd steer well clear of a vehicle like this.

Before I got my 2016 CX5 a couple of weeks back, I was looking at a 2018 CX5. It had 175,000 kms, it was regularly maintained by an independent garage, and was being sold by a non Mazda dealer in Burlington Ontario.
The inside was immaculate and the seats and dash were spotless. The exterior was another story. Both front and rear bumpers were cracked and pitted. There was some sort of adhesive on the gas door, paint chips across the hood and roof, and a few dents in the doors.
The dealer was not willing to fix any of it. I told him no and walked away.
Some dealerships are not willing to go the extra mile to impress a potential customer.

Probably owner had multiple cats and liked to drive them around town. One of those carbon fiber overlays would conceal most of the scratches. The ones in the crevices would be a problem though.

Look at these slimy scumbags, advertising a 2020 CX-5 for 5,000. Then the pics show "5000 down/299/mo" Probably 800 year payment plan at 20% APR. Reported them for bait and switch since Autotrader makes it quick and easy. At least when you see a car advertised for $1 it is clear to all that the description is BS. This is completely different.

I'd trust Bill Cosby with my beer before I'd trust a car salesman.

Look at these slimy scumbags, advertising a 2020 CX-5 for 5,000. Then the pics show "5000 down/299/mo" Probably 800 year payment plan at 20% APR. Reported them for bait and switch since Autotrader makes it quick and easy. At least when you see a car advertised for $1 it is clear to all that the description is BS. This is completely different.

Sounds like Chrysler dealerships here in ontario. 96 months at 8.99% with $2500 down and a $7500 rebate on that 96 month plan.

Sounds like Chrysler dealerships here in ontario. 96 months at 8.99% with $2500 down and a $7500 rebate on that 96 month plan.
Trouble is, there are suckers born every minute, and there's one out there that will buy at that rate and term. Some people just don't understand the math. If people stop falling for these exhorbitant terms and rates, then dealers would stop. Obviously there are still stupid people out there cause dealers still offer it.
It reminds me of all the stories I see on pretty much a daily basis of people falling for obvious scams, like romance scams, or the granny scam, etc. I'm losing faith in the human race when I see stuff like this.

Probably owner had multiple cats and liked to drive them around town. One of those carbon fiber overlays would conceal most of the scratches. The ones in the crevices would be a problem though.
Looking at the scrathes under the power window switches and several other places tells me it isn't a cat problem. Cats don't open doors or windows. Probably some bimbo with fake finger nails.

Trouble is, there are suckers born every minute, and there's one out there that will buy at that rate and term. Some people just don't understand the math. If people stop falling for these exhorbitant terms and rates, then dealers would stop. Obviously there are still stupid people out there cause dealers still offer it.
It reminds me of all the stories I see on pretty much a daily basis of people falling for obvious scams, like romance scams, or the granny scam, etc. I'm losing faith in the human race when I see stuff like this.
The sad thing is it’s not just Chrysler who are guilty. All brand stealerships are.
At lease for my wife and I since we are moving to Nova Scotia next year, with the sale of our house we will be paying out the loan on our 2016 CX5 I just bought us, and I will be paying cash for my new work truck when we get down there.

I went to that dealer's website and saw no such ad. It lists the purchase price as $25,000. It's also a 2019, not a 2020, according to the website.

The sad thing is it’s not just Chrysler who are guilty. All brand stealerships are.
The first thing these guys ask is, "how will you be paying for it?"
Every dealer does it, before they even listen to what it is you are actually shopping for.
They try to steer you towards buying the car based on what you can pay per month. Sadly a lot of people buy a car that way. Instead of looking at the bottom line price, they look at the monthly payment and say, OK I can afford that. Idiots.
I popped into a Kia dealership last weekend to look at a Stinger, and the first thing the salesman wanted to talk about was how I intended to finance it.
Creepers man, I haven't even sat down in the car yet, and you want me to sign a finance sheet?
Go f*** yourself.

Actually, looking closer, I think it has to be a misprint.
The price is $5,000.
$82/month over 60 months works out to $4,920.

If you look closely at the ad, it also states it is $16,643, below the blue book fair price.
If it's not a misprint, then there is something very wrong with that vehicle to be priced that low.

Then again, the whole thing could very well be a scam or like you said, a bait and switch. The more I look at the ad, the sketchier it becomes.

Last edited:
Actually, looking closer, I think it has to be a misprint.
The price is $5,000.
$82/month over 60 months works out to $4,920.
Plus the $1,000 down payment. Note the "listing price". Clearly a bait and switch.

If you look closely at the ad, it also states it is $16,643, below the blue book fair price.
If it's not a misprint, then there is something very wrong with that vehicle to be priced that low.

Exactly. $16,643 below blue book? Scummy dealer with a bait and switch.

Definitely sketchy, but who would have thought it eh?
I mean, every dealer is just so honest. Must be a typo....lol

Back