2013~2016 CX-5 Questions about routine service after 75,000 miles

:
2016 CX-5 GT | FWD | Soul Red | Tech Package
I have a 2016 CX-5 GT with 75,000 miles. I plan on keeping this car for a while. Have been doing oil changes and tire rotation every 5,000 miles. Other than this, I have done ATF exchange and brake fluid flush once (after 65,000 miles). The only other work done apart from these is the tire change, filter changes, Airplay installation and DRL replacement (under warranty). That's all the maintenance done on the car so far. I do one bottle of Techron every 5000 miles. Overall, I believe the car is in great condition.

I live in Texas and follow the Schedule 2 of the Scheduled Maintenance in the user manual. In the user manual, this schedule stops at 60,000 miles. Since I am at 75,000 miles, I am wondering how you all handle the maintenance at this mileage. Is there anything I should do apart from oil change and tire rotation going forward? Apart from brake fluid flush and ATF exchange, are there any other maintenance items I should do at this time? I don't trust or care about what the dealer wants me to do.

At 75k miles, you're due for spark plugs. They're easily accessible and only require a couple tools if you feel like doing it yourself. Next service item (I think) per the manual will be coolant drain/fill @ 10yrs/120k miles

At 75k miles, you're due for spark plugs. They're easily accessible and only require a couple tools if you feel like doing it yourself. Next service item (I think) per the manual will be coolant drain/fill @ 10yrs/120k miles
Thanks. Do you mean spark plugs replacement? Where’re you seeing that in the manual? The maintenance schedule in my manual stops at 60k miles.

Yes, spark plug replacement @ 75,000 miles. In The Owner's Manual section for "Scheduled Maintenance" it has:

IGNITION SYSTEM:
Spark plugs Replace every 120,000 km (75,000 miles).

and

COOLING SYSTEM
Engine coolant*2​
Replace at first 192,000 km (120,000 miles) or 10 years; after that, every 96,000 km (60,000 miles) or 5 years.​

Thanks again. Other than these, should I do anything proactively to prolong the life of the car? I intent to keep this car for foreseeable future. The body, paint, interior etc. are in very good condition and the car doesn't look or feel like it's 5+ years old and run 75,000 miles.

Totally unrelated question. If I had one complaint about this car, it is the general noise in the cabin while driving. It's a combination of road and engine noise. Are there any quick and easy ways to reduce that?

I read an article on the difference between Gf-5 and Gf-6 oil and the new gf-6 oil is much better for eliminating timing chain wear. So I make sure the oil I use is rated gf-6.

Attachments

• images.png
    images.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 132
Totally unrelated question. If I had one complaint about this car, it is the general noise in the cabin while driving. It's a combination of road and engine noise. Are there any quick and easy ways to reduce that?

You asked for quick and easy.. didn't say anything about cheap.
Good or Fast/Easy or Cheap pick any two
0*BXO-Krt9rSiopn6k.

So .. I'd say pull the interior out (all of the seats, carpet, and down to the door skin) and then apply sound deadening material of your choice.

of course the name brand that gets the most recognition (highly advertised) is: http://www.dynamat.com/
but there are PLENTY of choices out there such as:

or
https://smile. amazon.com/gp/product/B012B5EMGO/
I personally have used this in my CX-5 to help the subwoofer (before I upgraded the sound solution).

I have a 2016 CX-5 GT with 75,000 miles. I plan on keeping this car for a while. Have been doing oil changes and tire rotation every 5,000 miles. Other than this, I have done ATF exchange and brake fluid flush once (after 65,000 miles). The only other work done apart from these is the tire change, filter changes, Airplay installation and DRL replacement (under warranty). That's all the maintenance done on the car so far. I do one bottle of Techron every 5000 miles. Overall, I believe the car is in great condition.
At 75K miles, check your belt tensioner leak. Have you checked rear brakes yet?

I live in Texas and follow the Schedule 2 of the Scheduled Maintenance in the user manual. In the user manual, this schedule stops at 60,000 miles. Since I am at 75,000 miles, I am wondering how you all handle the maintenance at this mileage. Is there anything I should do apart from oil change and tire rotation going forward? Apart from brake fluid flush and ATF exchange, are there any other maintenance items I should do at this time? I don't trust or care about what the dealer wants me to do.
I have a 2016 CX-5 GT AWD with Tech Package. In Dallas Texas area I use Schedule 1 Flexible Oil Change Interval. It usually notifies me to change oil around ~7K miles or 12 months whichever comes first. But I change the oil early with 30% oil life remaining which is at 5,200 ~ 6,000 miles. The 12 month interval is handy during this pandemic as people drive less. Last time when I changed the oil in December with wrench indicator displayed and “Oil changs due” message as the oil life remaining went down to 0%, the oil had been used for only 2,728 miles.

18A751E6-347B-4921-8C17-91D60B43AA51.jpeg

79A53C0A-71F7-4CF0-95C7-58906D335F4C.jpeg

Even if you use Schedule 2, the maintenance intervals are simply repetitive to previous intervals after 60K miles on the schedule. For example, you keep doing 5K-mile / 4-month oil change whichever comes first after 60K miles. . IMO Schedule 2 with Fixed OCI is an over-kill for you in Houston area, especially the 4-month part. Just use Schedule 2 Flexible OCI to let the on-board computer figure out when you need to change the oil. Some maintenance intervals longer than 60K miles, such as spark plug and engine coolant replacements, will be specified separately as you can see.

B13B0980-B844-4E64-9879-2082F960A010.jpeg

A664C9E3-A193-4901-8EED-91387C3950AA.jpeg

There’s no free lunch and it’s hard to find a quick-and-easy fix unless the problem is simple.

For road noise you can’t have a quick-and-easy way to improve the insulation. Next time when you need new tires, you can choose quieter tires based on reviews.

For engine noise you may try a good name brand 5W-30 “full synthetic” oil which could reduce some oil related noise. Newer GF-6 oil is a good choice too.

In addition to 0W-20, Mazda recommends 5W-30 oil worldwide on SkyActiv-G 2.0L / 2.5L. So use 5W-30 oil on your 2.5L with confidence.

59B0F3AB-AEE0-4FE0-B626-B717CF1EAC23.png

7B9BBFCB-2504-4E40-821F-DDA956BEE646.png

Be sure to report back with what action you actually take to reduce the noise -- take pictures along the way.

Love your Venn diagram. It speaks for at least a hundred words. I'm going to be using it for some presentations at work :)

Have not decided about spending for noise reduction. From what I have heard so far, a good job costs few thousands of dollars and that's more than what I am willing spend for this. I was wondering whether there's anything an owner can do, without taking things apart, to reduce the noise. But should have known before asking - if it was possible everyone would have done that by now. Your diagram explains that well :)

Love your Venn diagram. It speaks for at least a hundred words. I'm going to be using it for some presentations at work :)

Have not decided about spending for noise reduction. From what I have heard so far, a good job costs few thousands of dollars and that's more than what I am willing spend for this. I was wondering whether there's anything an owner can do, without taking things apart, to reduce the noise. But should have known before asking - if it was possible everyone would have done that by now. Your diagram explains that well :)

My 2014 CX-5 has tons of wind noise and one thing I used to do 5 was to make sure the door and window seal were clean and wiped down with some rubber protectant. It would help.

The thing that impacted the noise the most was changing up the tires. I have Pirelli CINTURATO's on there now and they are dramatically quieter than the old Toyo's and bridgestones.

That
My 2014 CX-5 has tons of wind noise and one thing I used to do 5 was to make sure the door and window seal were clean and wiped down with some rubber protectant. It would help.

The thing that impacted the noise the most was changing up the tires. I have Pirelli CINTURATO's on there now and they are dramatically quieter than the old Toyo's and bridgestones.
I have that exact same tires. Better than Toyos for sure, still not as quiet as I would like it to be.

I was wondering whether there's anything an owner can do, without taking things apart, to reduce the noise.
Not really. Taking the car apart is much easier than you may think it is, though. For example, each seat only has 4 bolts and one electrical connector. That's it! Most of the interior panels, if they have any screws at all, there are only a couple. The rest is just snapped into place.

So, take the seats and carpet out, take the door panels out, and lay down your sound deadening. That's really all there is to it.

My 16 year old son did it to his truck one afternoon, and it made a WORLD of difference!

Not really. Taking the car apart is much easier than you may think it is, though. For example, each seat only has 4 bolts and one electrical connector. That's it! Most of the interior panels, if they have any screws at all, there are only a couple. The rest is just snapped into place.

So, take the seats and carpet out, take the door panels out, and lay down your sound deadening. That's really all there is to it.

My 16 year old son did it to his truck one afternoon, and it made a WORLD of difference!
Any idea what would be the rough cost estimate to get this done?

That
I have that exact same tires. Better than Toyos for sure, still not as quiet as I would like it to be.

You will have a hard time getting that car as quiet as you want without some serious work. I remember when the 2017 came out, they mentioned they added 40 lbs of sound deadening material to the CX-5. They also stated that for the CX-5, the total amount of sound deadening material was now 40 lbs.

Back