CX-5 Paint Quality

MikeM.

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD 2.0L
My CX-5 is coming up on 3 years old and it's lived all this time without any paint protection, no wax, no polish. It's been filthy dirty most of it's life as I've only washed it about 3-4 times and only one of those times was a real wash, the others were a coin-op high pressure sprayer. To make matters worse, I've done extensive exploring on poorly maintained Forest Service Roads, many of them abandoned and unused with alder saplings taking over. When I drive along they thwack the front chin spoiler, mirrors and scrape down the filthy sides of the vehicle. My paint is Pearl White and all this abuse has rubbed the road grime into the paint leaving scratches in the clear coat. Amazingly, the scratches don't show up much unless the lighting ii's good.

I finally decided it was time to get some wax on the paint because the road grime was getting harder to remove and bonding into the paint. So I used some rubbing and polishing compound on the front and sides of the vehicle, the scratches went all the way up to the roof runners. They buffed right out except for a couple of spots where I didn't spend enough time. The CX-5 clear coat is really tough/hard so it took more work to polish out the micro scratches than I'm accustomed to. And the paint post-polish looks better than new with excellent depth and gloss. But it really is a lot of work due to the extreme hardness/toughness of the CX-5 paint.

Rock chips. Hardly any and the only ones that really show up are in the lower painted plastic front dam because the plastic is soft/flexible to resist minor bump damage. So a rock with enough velocity can penetrate the paint and leave the black plastic showing through. The mirrors are made of a harder plastic and this doesn't happen. Although the front of the mirror fairings were really beat up, they cleaned up wonderfully and look better than new. The chips in the paint of the metal bodywork are much smaller and don't go as deep as I've seen on my other cars, they are barely visible unlike the craters that would appear on previous cars, all the way down to the primer or even the metal itself. And the very small number of rock chips tells me that most small rocks just deflect off without leaving a significant trace. This is super high quality paint.

I bring this up because some early detractors claimed the paint was too thin and prone to damage. My experience has been exactly the opposite. And my car has never been waxed until yesterday.

That's all well and good Mike, but frankly I'm astonished that someone who is so active on this forum and seems so into his vehicle could be so negligent with its exterior care. To each his own I guess.

I'm on my 2nd CX-5 in 3 years and still find the paint quality to be sub-par.

That's all well and good Mike, but frankly I'm astonished that someone who is so active on this forum and seems so into his vehicle could be so negligent with its exterior care. To each his own I guess.

It's not negligent if the paint can take it. Even if the paint were not so durable, why does it matter? My cars are tools to get me where I'm going and they will all end up being recycled into raw materials at the end of their useful life which will not be defined by the condition of the paint but by reliability/drivability/repairs. But as I've seen, this paint is really tough, wax is far softer than the paint and is primarily for vanity.

My vehicle is there to serve me, I don't exist to serve my vehicle.

I'm on my 2nd CX-5 in 3 years and still find the paint quality to be sub-par.

Maybe the Pearl White is better paint. It did cost and extra $200 (or was it $300?) over the other colors offered.

You might be on to something here. My first one was black and was way worse than my current soul red mica - which is also 300$ extra.

My CX-5 is coming up on 3 years old and it's lived all this time without any paint protection, no wax, no polish. It's been filthy dirty most of it's life as I've only washed it about 3-4 times and only one of those times was a real wash, the others were a coin-op high pressure sprayer.
Our CX-5 has received similar treatment. For three months we've owned I washed the car once and haven't put any wax on it. But this is because I'm too lazy to keep it clean. Besides we chose Sonic Silver so that it hides the dirt the best!

The salesman told me that the reason why CX-5 changed color from Liquid Silver to Sonic Silver was because there is problem on old silver paint. Don't know how much truth that is.

I waxed mine once, a few months after purchase, right before winter, to try to prevent salt corrosion. My biggest mistake was not being careful about avoiding wax on plastic trim. It left white marks on plastic, won't come off, even after six months.

My experience with the front bumper on both cx-5's I owned has been the paint chips and exposes the plastic underneath easily. we get a lot of rock and debris exposure in this area because of all the truck traffic.

My experience with the front bumper on both cx-5's I owned has been the paint chips and exposes the plastic underneath easily. we get a lot of rock and debris exposure in this area because of all the truck traffic.

That's my experience as well (see above). My 2000 Volvo is the same way, plastic is just soft. The way to fix it would be to mold plastic parts in a matching color before painting them.

Since you have so many flying rocks in Texas, how is the paint on your metal bodywork holding up with regard to rock chips? Is your 2nd CX-5 Pearl White too?

My wife's 2016 Pearl White paint has held up very well. My 2016 Soul Red paint is very soft, easily scratching and chipping.

I waxed mine once, a few months after purchase, right before winter, to try to prevent salt corrosion. My biggest mistake was not being careful about avoiding wax on plastic trim. It left white marks on plastic, won't come off, even after six months.

Try using pink eraser worked wonders for me

The Soul Red and the White Perl are both $300 more.
That's because there's an extre (third) coat of paint to create the pearlescent effect. That actually could contribute to overall durability I suppose. However I have zero complaints about the Sky Blue Mica base coat/clear coat on my 2013.

I got the Soul Red, and I worry a little, since I had a 1987 Red Ford Tempo, by the time I got rid of it a few years later, it had drastically faded to pink. I plan to keep up on good wax, and hope modern Soul Red w/perl will hold up much better than a mid-80's Ford red did.

I have a very high opinion of my cx5's paint based on 28k miles of driving it's seen. If people complain they've jev3r owned a Nissan or infiniti.

I got the Soul Red, and I worry a little, since I had a 1987 Red Ford Tempo, by the time I got rid of it a few years later, it had drastically faded to pink. I plan to keep up on good wax, and hope modern Soul Red w/perl will hold up much better than a mid-80's Ford red did.

On the other hand, if it fades to pink, you could find a Mary Kay sales rep who would jump at the chance to buy it. ;-)

have a little faith man; there's been a lot of (automotive) water under the bridge since 1987!!

Back