2022 CX-5 Red Paint Issues

2022 cx5 with 14,000 miles , hundreds of small chips in the paint , absolutely the worst paint I have ever experienced and Mazda will do nothing about it . Wish I never bought the Mazda ;

I’ve been on one Mazda forum or another for the past two decades and have seen these same comments about virtually every model and color. In that time I’ve owned 2 Miata’s, 2 CX-5s and a M3 and have had no paint problems with any of them. The newest addition is a bright, shiney Soul Red Crystal Metallic CX-5. The only thing I am concerned with is getting an acceptable touch up paint match.

I have a 2023 rhodium white and not impressed with the paint. I have looked at several new/newer soul red cx's in parking lots and most do have chips on the hood. My brother in-law has 2020 snow flake white cx5 and around 60,000 miles and his looks pretty good. snow flake white must have been better than rhodium white.

I have the Rhodium as well but only have 1500 miles on it, so far so good. Right now I do very little highway driving so I'm not super concerned about rock chips. When i move next year and start to put mileage on I might opt for some PPF for the bumper, part of the hood and the front fenders.

Mazda is not known for putting down heavy coats of paint, which is why they tend to chip/flake so easily. I recommend getting it done ASAP. When you purchase your car just make sure to shop around and definitely do not have the dealer do it as they outsource it to their own shop that gives them a kept back. I had a shop do a ceramic wash/wax and that expel plastic (PPF) as soon as I bought the car (demo) as there were already 2 chips but 0 dings and paint flakes issues. They offered three, five, 10 year warranty is on it. I had them basically cover the entire front of the car…mirrors, the hood, the front bumper, the lights, etc..took them 2 days but I also had them do a couple of other things.

My last CX five was black 2019 and had a ridiculous amount of chips and flaking on the front end of the car (when I purchased it) and even more by the time I got totaled. New one is white rhodium.

Last edited:
Back