CX-5 new light style thoughts

cx5boo333

2021 Cx5 GT AWD
I was wondering what people think about the changed lights in the cx5, going from the 2 beams on each side of a circle lights, to these modern ones that remind me of what bmw is doing with the two lines going down and in. Personally I am going to miss mazda's cuter lights to the modern ones.

IMG_6122.PNG

I dig them. Seems like a trunk swap and new tail lamps would compete a rear facelift.

If you look at Mazda's newest designs these new rectangular lights are right in line with the CX-50 and CX-60/70. Do you think if an ND3 ever arrives this will be one of the changes to the front and rear? What about the CX-30 and the 3 sedan & hatch refresh?

If you look at Mazda's newest designs these new rectangular lights are right in line with the CX-50 and CX-60/70. Do you think if an ND3 ever arrives this will be one of the changes to the front and rear? What about the CX-30 and the 3 sedan & hatch refresh?
Yeah it seems like the light design is gonna spread to everything in their lineup. (sadly imo) I'm curious how different their lineup from 2020 will look compared to like 2024, it'll be so different

The squarish head/tail light design, along with the new brighter 17" rims (as opposed to the previous grey color), made a big difference for me going with the 2022 CX-5. I would've bought the CX-50 for a few thousand more just for the squarish look if they hadn't updated the CX-5's head & tail lights. I definitely would've replaced the rims if grey or black was the only color the 2022 model came with.

I previously owned a Mazda3 and I was getting tired of the circular head/tail lights, especially the tail lights. It looked nice for a few years a while back, and it still looks OK.. But it's just a really dated look for Mazda IMO specifically because they've been trying the circular tail light thing every year for a over a decade now on one or more of their cars.. and to me, it feels like a leftover design element from the years when they were still partnering with Ford. It's high time to move on from that era (look-wise), and aside from the real exhaust tips, circular shapes should be banned from the rear of Mazda cars entirely.

I avoided the current Mazda3 because of the ugly egg-shaped rear (side view), so I'm all for the more rectangular look of future Mazda models, whichever angle you're viewing it from.

The squarish head/tail light design, along with the new brighter 17" rims (as opposed to the previous grey color), made a big difference for me going with the 2022 CX-5. I would've bought the CX-50 for a few thousand more just for the squarish look if they hadn't updated the CX-5's head & tail lights. I definitely would've replaced the rims if grey or black was the only color the 2022 model came with.

I previously owned a Mazda3 and I was getting tired of the circular head/tail lights, especially the tail lights. It looked nice for a few years a while back, and it still looks OK.. But it's just a really dated look for Mazda IMO specifically because they've been trying the circular tail light thing every year for a over a decade now on one or more of their cars.. and to me, it feels like a leftover design element from the years when they were still partnering with Ford. It's high time to move on from that era (look-wise), and aside from the real exhaust tips, circular shapes should be banned from the rear of Mazda cars entirely.

I avoided the current Mazda3 because of the ugly egg-shaped rear (side view), so I'm all for the more rectangular look of future Mazda models, whichever angle you're viewing it from.
That's so interesting, I have the complete different opinion on all of those opinions. Respect though. I'm pretty young and that might be why the circular lights aren't dated in my mind, as I didn't care about cars till the last year or two. I just like uniqueness and the new light design looks like lots of other cars, but with the two bars on either side of a circle? never seen that in another car brand, so I love it :D

That's so interesting, I have the complete different opinion on all of those opinions. Respect though. I'm pretty young and that might be why the circular lights aren't dated in my mind, as I didn't care about cars till the last year or two. I just like uniqueness and the new light design looks like lots of other cars, but with the two bars on either side of a circle? never seen that in another car brand, so I love it :D

It's just my jaded opinion lol.. If you like the lights just enjoy them while they last, at least you didn't have to wait several years for them to finally update to something appealing for you. I will admit they do look better at night when they're lit, but maybe I just really hate the whole Ford partnership and those circular lights are like bulging remnants of an era I want forgotten.

The old "winged" treatment was suggestive of the Mazda winged logo, not suggestive enough evidently. Boomerangs of various shapes and sizes seem to be the style these days. I prefer the old but that's not a strong preference.

Be thankful. Nothing compares to this:

1651601496792.png

Every time I see one of these I'm reminded of dead comic characters with x's through their eyes.

1651601629861.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The old "winged" treatment was suggestive of the Mazda winged logo, not suggestive enough evidently. Boomerangs of various shapes and sizes seem to be the style these days. I prefer the old but that's not a strong preference.

View attachment 309754
Every time I see one of these I'm reminded of dead comic characters with x's through their eyes.

View attachment 309755

I can't unsee this.. lol

Those lights always used to remind me of gasoline jerry cans.

View attachment 309754

View attachment 309755
You got me there, that comparison is hilarious. Those lights add to the yuckiness of the rest of that car.

The squares lights on the back are just different, I don't see them as better. I don't know if the signature on 2022's and pre 2022's are different than the non-signature, But I don't see a superior design (subjective) of the squared fronts vs my 2021's. Actually, my 2021 has the bar on the side - I don't see much of the 2022 having a light from the side
PXL_20220507_022359722.jpg
PXL_20220507_022404687.jpg
PXL_20220507_022337620.jpg

I’m not offended by the new lights as long as they perform as well as the previous which were absolutely fantastic. I’ve tried a new 2022 Lexus with the triple beams but they weren’t as good as my 19 CX-5. I’m always wary of cost cutting when I see a design change. I prefer the look of the previous model because it had that raptor look of a bird of prey - a bit sinister! Those Jeep rear lights are pathetic. I followed one and when the indicators are on (in the middle of that cross) the lights get swamped during braking. The brake lights literally overwhelm the indicators.

Back