CX-5 Lift Gate Cap Part Number?

:
2016.5 Mazda CX-5
I had my 3rd brake light replaced under warranty because it was leaking water. This was almost 30,000 miles ago. Now I noticed that my car was leaking water through the lift gate. I looked at some diagrams and realized that the lift gate caps are missing. They are circled in red. I tested it and sure enough that is where water is getting through. I guess the dealership either forgot to put them back or I never had them and that is where water was originally leaking through and not the 3rd break light because it is leaking in the same spot it did 30,000 miles ago. I can’t find the part number to order these anywhere!!!! Please help me find these.
795630D4-9108-4081-839B-6655C8BA2148.jpeg
03647D9D-7056-4BBD-8EE3-2DCD89AFFE54.jpeg

Your dealer should have the exploded diagram and could look up the part number for you. Alternatively, check a salvage yard to see if they'll grab a couple off a wrecked tailgate.

Upvote 0
The area you circled is outside the weatherstrip seal so it should not be an issue. It is exposed to water all the time (washing, rain, etc)

Upvote 0
The area you circled is outside the weatherstrip seal so it should not be an issue. It is exposed to water all the time (washing, rain, etc)
Yes it is outside the weatherstrip. So since it isn't capped with the rubber grommet water is able to pass through. I have put my hand through the whole and it connects to the whole inside brake assembly. When the liftgate is closed and water sprayed at both wholes on either side. The water shoots through from the outside the weather strip the the inside area which is within the weatherstrip and leaked water behind the trim. I'm just trying to find the rubber grommet. I believe I found it. If anybody who owns a 2016 cx5 can confirm that this is the piece. https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Upvote 0
Yes it is outside the weatherstrip. So since it isn't capped with the rubber grommet water is able to pass through. I have put my hand through the whole and it connects to the whole inside brake assembly. When the liftgate is closed and water sprayed at both wholes on either side. The water shoots through from the outside the weather strip the the inside area which is within the weatherstrip and leaked water behind the trim. I'm just trying to find the rubber grommet. I believe I found it. If anybody who owns a 2016 cx5 can confirm that this is the piece. https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
I looked at my CX-9 and it looked very similar if not the same. Perhaps you want to try it out with a piece of duct tape to see if it would remedy the leak.

Upvote 0
Back