Guide CX-5 Heater Core replacement and Radio staying on fix

:
2014 CX-5 Tour FWD
First I am not a mechanic, all back yard OJT... I really like my 2014 CX-5 Touring, but I have had several problems like the parking sensor in the console going bad, I made a video on how to fix that

and my transmission is now whining after I changed the transmission fluid (apparently there is a shaft that is off center because of a design flaw)... but it shifts fine.

But now I ran into the heater core leaking, first it was throwing the P011A error... there was some heat but not much, so I flushed the heater core and the P011A went away, but about two years later it started to leak. The estimate to have the heater core replaced is up to $1400 because the usual approach requires taking the entire dash out, steering wheel etc... the job apparently pays about 8 hours. I did not want to spend that much, so I went online to LKQ and got a heater core shipped to my house for $126... and tried a technique I saw on a video about how to replace the heater core the easy way, but it was a two part video and they never put the second part out... so I made this video

to help anyone that wants to try doing this ;-)
I think with this video you could get this done in under two hours, it took me about three or four, going slow and figuring things out as I went... and recording it.

First I am not a mechanic, all back yard OJT... I really like my 2014 CX-5 Touring, but I have had several problems like the parking sensor in the console going bad, I made a video on how to fix that
For a while I thought this’s a non-US spec CX-5 with factory front and rear “parking sensors“ ⋯ ;)

Unfortunately transmission whining from input shaft bearing is a common problem from early CX-5’s, and Mazda had to modify the front casing to prevent the problem happening. Not sure if the shaft is “off center” because of a design flaw. That’s why when a used transmission is needed, always get a newer transmission from a 2015 CX-5 or newer.

Any reason why you didn’t get a new heater core, instead a used one which could develop leaks much sooner any time in the future?

Yeah great videos on both, and we appreciate your time and effort of making those!

For a while I thought this’s a non-US spec CX-5 with factory front and rear “parking sensors“ ⋯ ;)

Unfortunately transmission whining from input shaft bearing is a common problem from early CX-5’s, and Mazda had to modify the front casing to prevent the problem happening. Not sure if the shaft is “off center” because of a design flaw. That’s why when a used transmission is needed, always get a newer transmission from a 2015 CX-5 or newer.

Any reason why you didn’t get a new heater core, instead a used one which could develop leaks much sooner any time in the future?

Yeah great videos on both, and we appreciate your time and effort of making those!
A new heater core was about $400, so I wanted to invest as little as possible in this "experiment", If the used heater core starts leaking or gets clogged at least now I know how to fix it. And with the transmission being a much bigger job... I am currently on the fence about keeping my CX-5, or getting something else.

and my transmission is now whining after I changed the transmission fluid (apparently there is a shaft that is off center because of a design flaw)... but it shifts fine.

But now I ran into the heater core leaking, first it was throwing the P011A error... there was some heat but not much, so I flushed the heater core and the P011A went away, but about two years later it started to leak. The estimate to have the heater core replaced is up to $1400 because the usual approach requires taking the entire dash out, steering wheel etc... the job apparently pays about 8 hours. I did not want to spend that much, so I went online to LKQ and got a heater core shipped to my house for $126... and tried a technique I saw on a video about how to replace the heater core the easy way, but it was a two part video and they never put the second part out... so I made this video

to help anyone that wants to try doing this ;-)
I think with this video you could get this done in under two hours, it took me about three or four, going slow and figuring things out as I went... and recording it.
Greta video. I replaced my 2016 CX-5 Touring's heater core last weekend following your instructions.
I was quoted $3k to replace the heater core by my dealer. Bought replacement for $122. As it was not true OEM I had to replace the OEM pipes with the ones that came with core.
FYI - The passenger side lower air vent you just 'yanked off' has a slot at the bottom of it you can put a screwdriver in to release the lower tab holding it in.

Back