CX-5 Fuel economy

That definantly doesn't sound right...

I can attest to not getting the mileage advertised with the car. My mom has a 2000 VW Passat Wagon (1.8T, automatic), rated at 24 city/29 hwy. My mom usually gets about 26-27 city and 31-34 hwy, while I only get about 22 city and 27 hwy (I've only hit 30 on the hwy about twice), but I am a much more aggressive driver than she is.

Either something is wrong with you CX-5, or you are the most aggressive driver on the planet.

Hi guys, I have a hi-score to post(first) perhaps we can have a league table for each of the cx-5 variants?

I got this result today from my house to Cardiff and back (a 100 mile trip of which 85 miles being motorway/freeway) at a constant 60mph

IMAG0263_zpsf9aa8b01.jpg

I have been in touch with Mazda regarding the misrepresentation of their fuel economy figures and have just received the following email:

Many thanks for your recent e-mail regarding the fuel consumption of your Mazda CX-5. We are very proud of this brand new and exciting vehicle and it has already won several awards including: Best Crossover from Auto Express New Car Awards and Innovation Award (for SKYACTIV Technology) from Fleet World Honours.

The best method of calculating the actual fuel consumption is to fill the tank up to the brim and then refill to the same level, taking a note of the mileage travelled between refills and the amount of fuel added. This should be carried out 3 times and then the average consumption calculated over the 3 refills.

The fuel consumption figures stated in Mazda brochures and other Mazda advertising are provided by an independent testing organisation authorised by the Department for Transport. These figures are the only ones that we are legally allowed to use in any of our publications.

The results obtained from these tests are not meant to represent "real life" situations but to provide consumers with a method of comparing the fuel consumption between various manufacturers' products, knowing that the test methods are identical. The results of these tests (which are carried out in laboratory conditions) cannot take account of variations in driving styles, road and weather conditions and the weight carried in the car, all of which have an effect on the actual fuel consumption that an owner will achieve.

In what other industry can you tell people one thing and know that it can never be achieved. I especially love the bit where it states that the figures are not meant to represent 'real life'!!!!

Hi guys, I have a hi-score to post(first) perhaps we can have a league table for each of the cx-5 variants?

I got this result today from my house to Cardiff and back (a 100 mile trip of which 85 miles being motorway/freeway) at a constant 60mph

Dad of Jon - well done, I did the same experiment last week from home to Nottingham and return - about 100miles each way at 60mph and got 47.4 mpg. Mine is the 2.2d sport Nav (150bhp FWD)

Last edited:
In what other industry can you tell people one thing and know that it can never be achieved. I especially love the bit where it states that the figures are not meant to represent 'real life'!!!!

Wow! Have you not been paying attention? I'm bettering the EPA estimated MPG numbers since the car was new last October and I'm doing it with winter snow tires, in the winter, driving up mountain passes and running the cheapest fuel in my area. In my opinion, the EPA numbers are NOT comparable to other vehicles (not because the estimated mpg figures for the CX-5 are too high but because they are too low). Most vehicles (especially larger American ones) cannot even come close to the EPA figures, let alone BETTER them under somewhat unfavorable conditions.

Wow! Have you not been paying attention? I'm bettering the EPA estimated MPG numbers since the car was new last October and I'm doing it with winter snow tires, in the winter, driving up mountain passes and running the cheapest fuel in my area. In my opinion, the EPA numbers are NOT comparable to other vehicles (not because the estimated mpg figures for the CX-5 are too high but because they are too low). Most vehicles (especially larger American ones) cannot even come close to the EPA figures, let alone BETTER them under somewhat unfavorable conditions.

MikeM, no I have not read all the posts in the thread. I am really pleased that some people are getting such good economy figures, it gives me hope. I am far from being an aggressive driver and as mentioned, I did a carefully controlled experiment which still returned poor figures. This is why I took it into the dealer for a check to see that all was well and they reported no problems. But then they deny there is an issue with the rising oil level but mine has had some taken out after 3000 miles and now it is heading towards the X mark again - but there is no rising oil level problem???

MikeM, no I have not read all the posts in the thread. I am really pleased that some people are getting such good economy figures, it gives me hope. I am far from being an aggressive driver and as mentioned, I did a carefully controlled experiment which still returned poor figures. This is why I took it into the dealer for a check to see that all was well and they reported no problems. But then they deny there is an issue with the rising oil level but mine has had some taken out after 3000 miles and now it is heading towards the X mark again - but there is no rising oil level problem???

That depends upon how one defines "problem." Having some rising oil is considered normal in the European diesel engine. Thus if it is rising within a predetermined limit, there is no problem, from Mazda's perspective.

It is interesting watching that situation unfold in the UK & Europe. For if Mazda brings that same engine to the USA and the diesel fuel mixes into the engine oil, that could be more problematic here. As USA diesel fuel has less lubrication in it than does European diesel fuel. Thus the dilution could be more of an issue here.

I am far from being an aggressive driver and as mentioned, I did a carefully controlled experiment which still returned poor figures. This is why I took it into the dealer for a check to see that all was well and they reported no problems.

Aggressiveness is only one way to get poor mileage. Another is to be inattentive to changing road situations (cars putting brakes on around the next bend, lights ahead turning red, pedestrians getting ready to cross the street, etc.) Some people just naturally pay more attention to their driving environment, others have to work at it and may never be as natural. Even in pure motorway driving, some people have a style with the steering wheel and accelerator pedal that is less efficient. That's why the EPA estimates are only estimates. Everyone is different.

That depends upon how one defines "problem." Having some rising oil is considered normal in the European diesel engine. Thus if it is rising within a predetermined limit, there is no problem, from Mazda's perspective.

It is interesting watching that situation unfold in the UK & Europe. For if Mazda brings that same engine to the USA and the diesel fuel mixes into the engine oil, that could be more problematic here. As USA diesel fuel has less lubrication in it than does European diesel fuel. Thus the dilution could be more of an issue here.

I don't think over dilution of the lubricating oil can be normal under any circumstances. Having to take oil out after 3000 miles cannot be right can it? When you say it is normal in the UK & Europe, I interpret that as being common but unwanted rather than normal and expected. They clearly have not solved the issue with the DPF from previous engines. What is worse is Mazda's reluctance to own up to the issue. Elsewhere on the forum I read that there is a fix for the problem but when I ask my dealer he claims to know nothing about it. But then he claimed to have no knowledge of the rattling dash issue - then told me there is a kit which can be used to solve the problem. A little honesty would be nice.

If you go to Google and search on: DPF rising oil

you will find links to posts in Fiat, BMW, VW, Ford and many more forums on this very issue.

Finally got my car into the dealers yesterday (the delay was my fault as I have been busy). They ran diagnostics on it and did some road tests, they found that some sensors were not operating properly which would have affected the fuel economy.... They updated the system and now I can't wait to do a few long runs to see how my mpg has improved. Also got my spare wheel today.

Wow MikeM -- I am envious and bummed at the same time. I thought that maybe with your mpg numbers you were driving in a completely flat area and a lot of highway. My daily commute is short -- less than 15 minutes and there are hills and valleys and I am still struggling with getting anything close to the rated mpg. I am running my tires at 36, using high tier gas (Shell or Exxon) and driving like a grandmother and still not getting acceptable mpg.

from my experience the CX-5 seems to really like higher altitude and hilly areas. Mine did fantastic on a trip up the hill to 7-9000 foot range and along hw1 on the Northern California coast the range numbers seemed to just keep going up.

There are a lot of other factors on the 15 minute commute that could negatively affect the mpg. The time mine did so well we didn't have any other traffic to slow us down and it just got into a really good flow where I didn't have to accelerate up the hills much because I could keep my speed up on the corners and just coast down the small hills and part way back up the next hill.

Trevor
http://HandA.com

My daily commute is short -- less than 15 minutes and there are hills and valleys and I am still struggling with getting anything close to the rated mpg.

Short commute with hills, don't know how anyone could hit EPA estimates on it.

A friend of mine owns a CR-V and was complaining about averaging only 19 mpg. I asked about their commute: 3 miles each way, stop & go town driving. I think 19 is pretty good all things considered.

When below freezing, it takes the car at least five miles of driving if not more to fully warm up. Cold ambient intake temp takes a toll on MPG as well and I noticed after driving 8+ miles before I can achieve mid-high 30's on the highway.

I am really hoping that all of you are correct about the short commute and the cold weather being the culprit in the gas mileage. I have about 5500 miles on the car and I really love everything about it but am disappointed in my mpg. I only recently started tracking it in Fuelly and those readings are lower than the readout on the car.Hoping to see an improvement when spring arrives.

fyi - my MPG calculated manually runs about 5% under MPG readout (over 15K mile ownership period).

I am really hoping that all of you are correct about the short commute and the cold weather being the culprit in the gas mileage. I have about 5500 miles on the car and I really love everything about it but am disappointed in my mpg. I only recently started tracking it in Fuelly and those readings are lower than the readout on the car.Hoping to see an improvement when spring arrives.

Watch your current mpg gauge. When the blue light is on my mpgs are lower; about 5 seconds after the blue light goes off my mpgs jump up about 20%. The ecu significantly riches the engine up while cold.

Back