CX-5 Cylinder deactivation

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, we are talking about 2007-2014 Vortec engines in nnbs body. They all suffer from the issue, as much as even older LS-derrived engines.

I think we're saying the same thing. Either way, the problems were pretty much fixed after 2009

I think we're saying the same thing. Either way, the problems were pretty much fixed after 2009
They were not, that's what I'm saying. Attempts were made with updated valve cover and AFM valve muzzle in the pan, but that didn't help much, many 2013 trucks and 2014 SUVs still suffered, the biggest problem is stuck/collapsed lifters. I know, because I was right there more then once where the trucks had to be taken to the dealer because of that. I turned the darn thing off as soon as I got my truck.

Last edited:
For those who lease, that's not an issue at all. Mazda could have improved on quality and tolerances of it's CD components, and the functionality algorithms. Like they did with the whole Skyactiv project. If their failure rate comes well below of that of GM or Chrysler, this will not be an issue at all. We just don't know, and the decision comes down to faith.

For those who lease, that's not an issue at all. Mazda could have improved on quality and tolerances of it's CD components, and the functionality algorithms. Like they did with the whole Skyactiv project. If their failure rate comes well below of that of GM or Chrysler, this will not be an issue at all. We just don't know, and the decision comes down to faith.
The difference between SkyActiv technologies and cylinder deactivation by Mazda is Mazda gives all kind of technical information to the public on its SkyActiv, but almost nothing on cylinder deactivation other than adding a fulcrum inside the transmission to overcome the vibration which is the easiest part to deal with on all the inherent problems from CD. With lack of information I seriously doubt Mazda did anything special on its CD.

On GM and Chrysler, at least CD does save some fuel on thier V8; but for Mazda's SA-G 2.5L with CD, it saves 0 mpg on AWD and 1 mpg on FWD according to EPA!

Inside Mazda said:
The challenge with four-cylinder deactivation is that an engine running on two cylinders is more likely to cause vibration. Mazda’s breakthrough solution to compensate for this is to use a fulcrum inside the six-speed SKYACTIV-DRIVE automatic transmission, helping ensure seamless transition between two- and four-cylinder operation.

Watch the video below to see how Mazda’s cylinder-deactivation technology works, improving real-world fuel efficiency without sacrificing driving performance.

I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt. In this case, I think Mazda has done enough research and testing to feel comfortable releasing an engine with cylinder deactivation. If they don't and released it anyway, then they are stupid.

Do you guys plan to debate this issue for 3-4 years? Because the 2018 CX-5s are out for sale but I don't think we will see any engine issues until a few years from now, if ever that even happens.

Just buy a 2017. There are still plenty of them left in my area.

I tried here, not because of cylinder deactivation, but because I thought I could get a better price. They were all sold out of GT Premium AWD. I ended up with a 2018 for a few hundred more than I expected to pay on a closeout 17. I'm happy (except for the fact that I wanted the diesel).

If people are squeamish about Cylinder Deactivation, they shouldn't be getting excited about SkyActivX.

In my mind, this could be solved with an additional selectable mode added to the "SPORT" Button.

Instead of just having "NORMAL" and "SPORT" modes, there would be an additional mode labeled "ECO"

With the addition of this user selectable "ECO" mode, you would now have a mode that turns on the CYL Deactivation, and dampens the initial throttle response, and changes the throttle curve for max MPG, transmission shift map, along with other smaller ECO advantage stuff to the A/C, etc..

Last edited:
In my mind, this could be solved with an additional selectable mode added to the "SPORT" Button.

Instead of just having "NORMAL" and "SPORT" modes, there would be an additional mode labeled "ECO"

With the addition of this user selectable "ECO" mode, you would now have a mode that turns on the CYL Deactivation, and dampens the initial throttle response, and changes the throttle curve for max MPG, transmission shift map, along with other smaller ECO advantage stuff to the A/C, etc..

That's sensible from a customer perspective. I wonder if the way that fleet EPA fuel efficiency numbers are calculated may require them to do it a certain way for max credit.

I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt. In this case, I think Mazda has done enough research and testing to feel comfortable releasing an engine with cylinder deactivation. If they don't and released it anyway, then they are stupid.

Do you guys plan to debate this issue for 3-4 years? Because the 2018 CX-5s are out for sale but I don't think we will see any engine issues until a few years from now, if ever that even happens.

Some people will still do this while others will have moved on with their lives

The way I see it, Mazda is a automaker with a reputation for putting cutting edge technology in their vehicles. Rotary engine for example. They were very early with GDI as well.

Cylinder deactivation is another cutting edge tech. The 2017 models and beyond have the G Vectoring Control yet I haven’t heard any gripes about that. I’m sure front brake pad life is reduced with it.

It’s time to move on.

The way I see it, Mazda is a automaker with a reputation for putting cutting edge technology in their vehicles. Rotary engine for example. They were very early with GDI as well.

Cylinder deactivation is another cutting edge tech. The 2017 models and beyond have the G Vectoring Control yet I haven’t heard any gripes about that. I’m sure front brake pad life is reduced with it.

It’s time to move on.

I would rather replace brake pads then a motor. Those who have never owned a CD vehicle and had never had problems just don't know. I know.

Excellent suggestion. Hope Mazda's listening.

but for Mazda's SA-G 2.5L with CD, it saves 0 mpg on AWD and 1 mpg on FWD according to EPA!

Your point is well taken, but it's actually according to Mazda, who are supposedly using EPA test methodology.

I tried here, not because of cylinder deactivation, but because I thought I could get a better price. They were all sold out of GT Premium AWD. I ended up with a 2018 for a few hundred more than I expected to pay on a closeout 17. I'm happy (except for the fact that I wanted the diesel).

I just checked local inventory again and it looks like you're right. There are a ton of 2017 Touring models in my area, but GTs are scarce. One of my three local dealers has three 2017 GTs with Premium package left. The other two dealers are sold out.

Back in Jan when I was shopping, you could buy a 2017 GT with the Premium package in any paint & interior color combination you wanted. However, they were asking about the same price for the 2017s and 2018s.

If people are squeamish about Cylinder Deactivation, they shouldn't be getting excited about SkyActivX.

Looking only at the risk, I agree. But you also have to consider the reward. If the EPA estimates are to believed, cylinder deactivation is a risk with no reward. 0-1 MPG improvement in EPA rated fuel economy is in the "why bother" category for me. SkyActiv-X is a bigger risk, but if Mazda's PR is to be believed, the reward is huge.

⋯ If people are squeamish about Cylinder Deactivation, they shouldn't be getting excited about SkyActivX.
⋯ Looking only at the risk, I agree. But you also have to consider the reward. If the EPA estimates are to believed, cylinder deactivation is a risk with no reward. 0-1 MPG improvement in EPA rated fuel economy is in the "why bother" category for me. SkyActiv-X is a bigger risk, but if Mazda's PR is to be believed, the reward is huge.
Exactly!

Cylinder deactivation is another cutting edge tech. The 2017 models and beyond have the G Vectoring Control yet I havent heard any gripes about that. Im sure front brake pad life is reduced with it.

Its time to move on.
Cylinder deactivation is another cutting edge tech. ???

GM has it since 1980s! And CD has been proven problematic since them. But at least it does save some fuel on those V8s and V6s!

Cutting edge technology in the vehicle doesnt mean itd be reliable and successful! Rotary engine from Mazda is a failure! Its not powerful enough、not fuel efficient、not reliable、burning oil、and cant meet todays emission standard! It almost cost Mazda bankruptcy because of it!

”Cylinder deactivation is another cutting edge tech”. ???

GM has it since 1980’s! And CD has been proven problematic since them. But at least it does save some fuel on those V8’s and V6’s!

“Cutting edge technology” in the vehicle doesn’t mean it’d be reliable and successful! Rotary engine from Mazda is a failure! It’s not powerful enough、not fuel efficient、not reliable、burning oil、and can’t meet today’s emission standard! It almost cost Mazda bankruptcy because of it!

You sure use those exclamation points a lot. Trying to make a point??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back