CX-5 Active Safety Features - Lane-Keep Assist help

I had a Saturn with visors that had a sliding extension that helped block the sun behind the mirror. It could also be helpful when used to the side if necessary.
My 2020 CX-5 has that extension at least on the drivers side. I don't recall if there is one on the passenger side, I think not, but I'm on a road trip in the other vehicle so I can't check.

On of the youtube reviewers mocked it, I think because it is a cheapo solution. I've found it useful at times, better than nothing.

My 2020 CX-5 has that extension at least on the drivers side. I don't recall if there is one on the passenger side, I think not, but I'm on a road trip in the other vehicle so I can't check.

On of the youtube reviewers mocked it, I think because it is a cheapo solution. I've found it useful at times, better than nothing.

I think it's TheStraightPipes on YouTube that do the "visor test"

I would agree that adding lane centering with the option to turn it on/off would satisfy pretty much everyone, as long as they make the default setting OFF when you start the car. Speaking for myself, I probably wouldn't use it as I don't find myself "course correcting" very often, but I can see how it would be nice for others to have so that they could turn it on whenever they wanted to.

Not to go too far off track, but the Tesla tech is really nice and very innovative. Their vehicles are not quite for everyone, but I do see the appeal. My main gripe with Tesla is the fact that they call it "Full Self-Driving" when it isn't even close.

I would agree that adding lane centering with the option to turn it on/off would satisfy pretty much everyone, as long as they make the default setting OFF when you start the car. Speaking for myself, I probably wouldn't use it as I don't find myself "course correcting" very often, but I can see how it would be nice for others to have so that they could turn it on whenever they wanted to.

Not to go too far off track, but the Tesla tech is really nice and very innovative. Their vehicles are not quite for everyone, but I do see the appeal. My main gripe with Tesla is the fact that they call it "Full Self-Driving" when it isn't even close.
"To each his own" has its limits. For example, if lane centering is as inconsistent in detecting lane lines as Mazda's lane departure, or if a camera is obstructed by road crud, ice or snow, or a stretch of highway is encountered where the lanes are faded or become non-existent entering a construction zone, or whatever other warnings are in the manual, a driver lulled into a false sense of security is a threat to others on the road, as Tesla's self-driving claims have led some drivers down the primrose path. Drivers of non-Teslas may drink the same Kool-Aid.

Put it together with cruise automatic following distance and the temptation for inattention is increased.

Officially, Tesla's are not fully self-driving cars, for good reason. But Musk has persisted in insinuating that they are. There are certainly drivers of other makes who think they are in a self-driving vehicle. There was a Cadillac ad where the woman takes her hands off the wheel, smiling.

But if somebody is reading a magazine, putting on make-up or whatnot I would prefer they have these systems active than not.

Back