CX-5 2021 Valve cover gasket sweating oil

Deajay

MY21 CX-5, AWD, 2.5L NA, AKERA
Hi all, I am after your opinion.

I have a MY2021 CX-5 AWD 2.5L NA (approximately 50k km on it now) and noticed the valve cover gasket is sweating oil above the exhaust manifold and somewhere above the timing chain (not sure what to call that area).

It is not much, but in my mind it should not happen (yet).

Visit the Dealer and ask for it to be fixed?

Your thoughts?

Thanks all.

Attachments

• 20230911_175841.jpg
    20230911_175841.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 239
  • 20230911_175903.jpg
    20230911_175903.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 222
Still under warranty?
Have a dealer take a look. If it is the timing cover, it costs a lot to fix.
A dealer quoted me $1700 to fix it for my '14 Mazda3.

At least if you mention it to the dealer now under warranty, the issue is officially recorded by Mazda.

Hi all, I am after your opinion.

I have a MY2021 CX-5 AWD 2.5L NA (approximately 50k km on it now) and noticed the valve cover gasket is sweating oil above the exhaust manifold and somewhere above the timing chain (not sure what to call that area).

It is not much, but in my mind it should not happen (yet).

Visit the Dealer and ask for it to be fixed?

Your thoughts?

Thanks all.
Like you said with 50K km / 31K miles on your 2021 CX-5 with a 2.5L NA it’s highly unlikely the valve cover gasket would seep oil. There’s a TSB of oil seepage on Timing chain cover and it’s been reported many times here but you would see some oil at front bottom side of the engine around the timing chain cover which doesn’t meet your description.

My guess is you might have some minor cylinder head crack and usually you’d see the oil at the back side of the engine at the exhaust manifold area. The cracked cylinder head on the 2.5L NA with cylinder deactivation at your mileage isn’t uncommon and you want to mention this possibility to you Mazda dealer and ask them to fix it under warranty.

Cracked Cylinder Head with Oil leaking...How common is this?

NA CX-5 with Cylinder Deactivation Engine Repairs - Report In

Like you said with 50K km / 31K miles on your 2021 CX-5 with a 2.5L NA it’s highly unlikely the valve cover gasket would seep oil. There’s a TSB of oil seepage on Timing chain cover and it’s been reported many times here but you would see some oil at front bottom side of the engine around the timing chain cover which doesn’t meet your description.

My guess is you might have some minor cylinder head crack and usually you’d see the oil at the back side of the engine at the exhaust manifold area. The cracked cylinder head on the 2.5L NA with cylinder deactivation at your mileage isn’t uncommon and you want to mention this possibility to you Mazda dealer and ask them to fix it under warranty.

Cracked Cylinder Head with Oil leaking...How common is this?

NA CX-5 with Cylinder Deactivation Engine Repairs - Report In
Wow, I on purpose did not take the Turbo to avoid engine issues....

Lets see what the Dealer has to say. Routine inspection/maintenance is due in 500km.

Thanks a lot.

Lets see what the Dealer has to say. Routine inspection/maintenance is due in 500km.

Thanks a lot.
Please keep us posted.

Thanks a lot.
The cracked head issue has been around for the entire current gen of 2.5NA motors. Both motors have their issues. Some say it was solved for 2022, but I have seen threads about it occurring on those models as well.

The cracked head issue has been around for the entire current gen of 2.5NA motors. Both motors have their issues. Some say it was solved for 2022, but I have seen threads about it occurring on those models as well.
To be specific, current 2nd gen CX-5 started on 2017 MY and the 2.5L NA on 2017 CX-5 doesn’t have cylinder deactivation hence hasn’t had cracked cylinder head issue. It’s the 2018 CX-5 Mazda put in cylinder deactivation feature and cracked head started to be reported since then.

The 2.5T started to be used on 2016 CX-9 and 2019 CX-5 and cracked head problem started to be exposed in 2021 with a TSB. The TSB claimed the head and the exhaust manifold gasket have been revised to prevent this problem. Only time will tell if the modifications have truly fixed the problem as it took almost 5 years the original head started to crack.

Thanks a lot.
This is a head scratcher for me. I’ve owned primarily turbos since my 1987 Buick Grand National, and never had any significant issues. Here we are 36 years later, and they are much more commonplace. Yes they crave octane, but that’s about the only negative based on my own experiences. My only complaint with the Mazda turbo is they don’t have a boost gage, but that does not affect performance or longevity.

This is a head scratcher for me. I’ve owned primarily turbos since my 1987 Buick Grand National, and never had any significant issues. Here we are 36 years later, and they are much more commonplace. Yes they crave octane, but that’s about the only negative based on my own experiences. My only complaint with the Mazda turbo is they don’t have a boost gage, but that does not affect performance or longevity.
Although Mazda’s 2.5T has faced the same cracked head issue from earlier model years, but the OP has a 2.5L NA with CD, not a turbo.

So, update after having the service. They said its the valve cover gasket that seeps a bit of oil, it could have shrunk a bit, the bolts holding the cover cannot be tightened more.

They have ordered replacement parts and will book my vehicle in for replacement of the gasket under warranty.

Hope it is just that.

So, update after having the service. They said its the valve cover gasket that seeps a bit of oil, it could have shrunk a bit, the bolts holding the cover cannot be tightened more.

They have ordered replacement parts and will book my vehicle in for replacement of the gasket under warranty.

Hope it is just that.
If the oil seepage is indeed from your valve cover gasket, that’s very rare at 50,000 km / 31,068 miles for any engines. Again, keep us posted.

If the oil seepage is indeed from your valve cover gasket, that’s very rare at 50,000 km / 31,068 miles for any engines. Again, keep us posted.
indeed, very rare. I have more than 6x the mileage on my NA 2.5, never seen a drop of oil seeping from any gasket.

Update: Had the repair done today. On the way home the CEL came on. Gave the dealer a ring but they were closed. I have checked the oil, there seems to be too much oil ? Above the upper hole on the oil dipstick?

I call them tomorrow again.

The gasket has been replaced and there are traces of red liquid sealer/gasket visible.

Attachments

• 20231010_175417.jpg
    20231010_175417.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 20231010_175430.jpg
    20231010_175430.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 20231010_175447.jpg
    20231010_175447.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 104
Update: Had the repair done today. On the way home the CEL came on. Gave the dealer a ring but they were closed. I have checked the oil, there seems to be too much oil ? Above the upper hole on the oil dipstick?

I call them tomorrow again.

The gasket has been replaced and there are traces of red liquid sealer/gasket visible.
Thanks for the update.

Although engine oil isn’t cheap, but engine oil overfill by the car dealer seems to be a norm nowadays for some reason. Red liquid sealer is needed at several valve cover gasket disconnected locations which is normal too.

If the oil level is just above the Max hole of the dipstick no matter when you checked it with warm or cold engine, don’t worry too much about it. But you certainly can mention it when you call.

Let us know the CEL code if possible. Shouldn’t be related to high oil level or anything serious.

Since you have a CX-5 Akera which doesn’t exist in North America, do you mind to tell us where are you located?

Thanks for the update.

Although engine oil isn’t cheap, but engine oil overfill by the car dealer seems to be a norm nowadays for some reason. Red liquid sealer is needed at several valve cover gasket disconnected locations which is normal too.

If the oil level is just above the Max hole of the dipstick no matter when you checked it with warm or cold engine, don’t worry too much about it. But you certainly can mention it when you call
Let us know the CEL code if possible. Shouldn’t be related to high oil level or anything serious.

Since you have a CX-5 Akera which doesn’t exist in North America, do you mind to tell us where are you located?
I am in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

So, after starting the car this morning the CEL stayed on, I went to the dealer and they fixed it. They didn't give me a code, just said from the works yesterday there was oil on a switch, they cleaned it up and away went the CEL. But they want me to monitor. Hopefully that's the end of the story.

Yesterday night, started the CX5 to go into town, CEL on from the start. Drove it into town despite CEL, after a couple of hours drove back, CEL still on. It's back to the dealer today to investigate. Have a 23 CX8 loaner for the weekend.

Back