CV shaft problem...need guidance

4giglz

Registered Loiterer
:
2002 Protege ES
I have been doing some maintenance and repairs on my 1999 626 LX V6 5-speed. I replaced the driver's side axle shaft around January, and the new one caused a vibration under acceleration in the first couple of gears. Took it back and the second one did the same thing. I overhauled the suspension and front brakes about two weeks ago and found out that the first two were the wrong shafts when I bought the passenger side, so I replaced both sides while I had everything apart. Same vibration. There seems to be a bit of play in the driver side shaft in and out, but about an inch and a half of play on the passenger side! Yes, everything is properly seated and torqued.

How much play is too much? I know the passenger side is junk and will need to be warrented, but what about the driver side? It has maybe a 2-3mm of play.

Would a Mazda reman shaft be remanned by the same companies as the aftermarket ones, or done by Mazda? I would imagine that Mazda would contract that kind of work out, but I don't know.

Any help would be great!

I have heard that the motor mounts can be kinda weak on those cars. Have you checked your motor mounts? Broken motor mounts will allow vibrations and kill CV joints fast!

Back