Engine and Transmission Swap B2200

Ok. Ive been researching and everything. From what ive found, I should be able to take a miata engine and transmission, and it should slip into a mazda b2200.

I have a 1988 mazda b2200. I got like 100 Horsepower and want more. I want to go to fuel injected and the only thing i can think of to do is swap in a miata engine and transmission. I know that the gear ratio is different. But what else would I need to do? is the Drive Shaft a different length? Motor Mounts? I know i would have to do a fuel pump. It has a stock one that is engine driven. Any Info that i need to know would be amazing.

Wow, this is going to be one hell of a project. Does the Miata motor even bolt to the 2200 transmission? I'd be surprised if it actually did.

Upvote 0
If you use the Miata transmission, you will never be able to use the truck as a truck ever again. If you put any kind of weight in the bed or try to tow anything, the transmission will absolutely fail.

Upvote 0
It's made to move around a very small and extremely light weight sports car. It's not made to haul cargo or pull a trailer. Trying to move around that kind of weight, and it'll explode, because you're asking it to do something it was never meant to do.

So long as you know that you'll never be able to use your truck as a truck again, and it'll be fine. An empty B2200 is pretty light, only a couple hundred more pounds than a Miata.

Upvote 0
It's made to move around a very small and extremely light weight sports car. It's not made to haul cargo or pull a trailer. Trying to move around that kind of weight, and it'll explode, because you're asking it to do something it was never meant to do.

So long as you know that you'll never be able to use your truck as a truck again, and it'll be fine. An empty B2200 is pretty light, only a couple hundred more pounds than a Miata.
Alright, well if we got away from the miata trans and engine. Are there any engines that would bolt up to a b2200 trans? I want fuel injected if possible.

Upvote 0
@OutlawJack i know this is a stale thread, how's your progress? I thought I'd add a bit of info for you and anyone else who comes across this thread. First, I'm fairly confident the 70's & 80's RWD transmission from Mazda (maybe up to '93?) are mostly compatible - Mazda put basically the same box in it's sports cars and 2wd trucks for many years.

Second - have you looked into the FE3 (aka FE-DOHC) engine swap? I'm in the middle of this now. It's the Kia Sportage engine from 1997 - 2004. Its a Mazda engine, essentially a modernized fuel-injected, dual-cam 16v version of the original truck motors. This engine makes about 130hp stock and can handle 400-ish on stock internals (so I've heard). It bolts up directly to the engine mounts of the truck, and the transmission. Check out fe3.wiki for more.

Upvote 0
Back