Custom intake for the 1.6L

If you can never get your intake system to work were you can actually see GAINS, then u can at least make use of your cone filter.

1. Remove all of the RAM air ducting parts of the stock intake from the engine bay all the way up the air box.

2. Remove the intake from the throttle body to the airbox. open the airbox and rremove the cone filter.

3. You will need to cut away all of the element in your filter, keeping just the bracket of the filter. make sure you keep the rubber sealing that surrounds the edge of the bracket.

4. With the element removed, place the bracket and rubber seal back into the airbox, and close it.

5. Get your cone filter, and connect it to the tubing that comes out of the front of the box. this tubing is exactly the same size as the end of most aftermarket intakes, it should fit right on the coupler of the cone filter. you may need to buy a coupler if you dont have one the right size. find the shortest one possible. space will be kinda tight.

6. To make things fit easier, you can rip the stud on the left that holds the air box inplace with a set of pliers. the plastic kinda tears. their is also another peice that is gold, that holds down the Helmhoid? resonator(the ugly things that sits deep down in the engie bay.) bend this gold peice downwards (easily with your hand) towards the transmission to allow the box so sit easier.

7. Another thing is the scooting the battery back. scoot the battery back far as possile be careful not to let the terminal touch the silver-metal pipe on the fire wall.(dont no what it is) you can simply turn the cable clamp sideways to were it is parrallel to that pipe if it isnt already. now you will have to clamp the battery back down in this spot so it will stay.(i hope u still have your battery tie down) if you dont it will only alow pressur on the airbox while braking which will put extra stress on the filter against the headlight. you can just hack away the mounting holds on the back of the airbox.

8. The final step is putting the intake back in which should look like a retarded plastic short ram. start with the filter then working to the throttle body. place the filter between the headlight and the radiator, and push in the airbox to were it fits snuggly. keep the hose clamps on the intake hose loose so they can rotate, and adjust. you will have to compress the hose at the flex part to get the end of it to fit onto the throttle body. now go back and tighten the hose clamps.

if you had a previous CEL, reset the ecu by unplugging the neg. terminal, go drink or have a snack or watever and come back. my CEL hasnt came on NEVER since ive dont this x cept when my MAF went bad DUE TO CLEANING IT WITH ALCOHOL. good luck!!! you should feel a bit of difference, and a diff. tone. i cant remember how my car was at stock.

finished product should look like this.

Attachments

• Nov07$07.JPG
    Nov07$07.JPG
    246.5 KB · Views: 518
Last edited:
its a miracle from above. i just got my weapon-r short ram to work with no CEL or hesitation. i used to bicycle inner tube gasket trick. ( i actually used the bicycle patch which is a bit thicker) i jus didnt bother to put my intake "Turbonator" back in because it wont fit with the weapon-r velocity stack, and the only other option is infront of the MAF and i said hell no i wont take that chance.

The car puts out more power with the ram scoop then with out it. Resonator helps tune for power in the low end. Leave it in.

Do some 1/4 mile runs full intake vs. one without the resonator and scoop have a .5 sec diff in the 1/4.

Now I have the simota intake. Very nice midrange. But power drops off up top, compared to the injen, and the low end seems to suffer alittle, compared to stock. Basically its a good comprise.

On the plus side no cel!

With the resonator and ram scoop off the car gets much louder on the exhaust side because its working harder. To get the same output.

hmm why does that cause it to work harder? im thinking about adding some custom piping to my sri to locate the filter in a cooler spot. are there disadvantages to longer intake?

Yes. I have measured disadvantages to the longer intake. Mainly more throttle lag. Although you'll get more power, which is all that matters.

yea i read some info on longer ones. they add low end torque. you have the sri? ive seen a pic. of it. i like the way it puts the filter away from the radiator tube more towards the coolant? overflow tank. im trying to find a 90 degree bend to put on the end of my sri. i believe the car is slightly laggy once it warms up, but acceleration from zero is/stays way better.

With a longer intake theres a lot more low end. With great off the line power. As long as you avoid the cel.

I was able to find more top end too. But the mid range suffered.

The sri I have now has nice mid range

yeah with my sri, i think im having heat problems (which im going to fix by relocating the filter). when i smash off, it almost feels like the car is lagging behind, but on the interstate when air is flying good in the engine, 60-100 is cake. i even daily-travel at higher speeds on the interstate now.

steve_protege said:
Im trying to get my Injen to work. I have both the CEL and hesitation. How can I fix that?

we need to make a sticky in this section because of this. the maf is calibrated to measure air in a 2.25" pipe. aftermarket cai use piping bigger than 2.25". Injen is 2.5". so what's happening is there's more air getting thru that is not metered, thus causing lean conditions, hesitations and our ever so popular P0171.

the bike patch to make a seal around the maf is not the fix, we need to kill that theory. I did use a large o-ring to help the maf seal on a custom intake pipe but the real reason behind the problem is pipe size. put bigger injectors in or put the maf on the stock pipe size on (ie. 2.25"). and even with bigger injectors don't expect much gains if any, not worth the loss of mpg imo.

zerocover said:
Now I have the simota intake. Very nice midrange. But power drops off up top, compared to the injen, and the low end seems to suffer alittle, compared to stock. Basically its a good comprise.

On the plus side no cel!

the only 1.6 cai that I know that uses the stock diameter size

Back