Crappy gas mileage

Normally I get 31 MPG with just me in the car on the highway. With mostly city driving it drops down to 28 or so. I keep VERY close eye on my MPG and calculate it every time I fill up to see what I got off the last tank.

I also have a heavy foot and drive fast. Dunno whats wrong with y'alls cars!

700km on 1 tank is extremely hard to obtain and (thats 29MPG)
i did get that once by filling the tank to the brim and driving like an old lady throttle never going past ~25% and never reving over 2500 rpm, going 90 everywhere including playground zones, and never slowing down for corners, maybe running a few ambers so i didnt have to accelerate again.

and thats with nothing in the car, except me.

i avg maybe 570kms per tank but thats me bagging the s*** out of it all day
thats around 24.4mpg

oh btw this is running down to vapor as well, something thats not good to do.

That was probably why It was so good with the car loaded down in the mountains but I really do get 30+ MPG normal with just me in the car.

Don't know what you guys do different, I have over 6 years/167000km of use and the best EVER I got is 7.38l/100km (31.9m/US gal), and the worse is close to 10l/100km (23.5m/US gal).

I drive on the highway, on cruise, at an average speed of 105km/h, shift at 3k-3.5k RPM, all the time. Very little city driving, and I use regular unleaded.

But, must realize, I live up North, so could be a climate thing (cold up here 7 months per year).

I use a Palm software called "Automobil", and here's the Excel data spreadsheet it uses. A few things are in french, but data is understandable to all.

Attachments

• P5Data.xls
    50.5 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
On my P5 I've noticed you can add up to about a full gallon from when the pump initially shuts off. No big deal, but it makes it hard to get accurate mileage on a single filling - you might be off on your second fill by half a gallon or so easily. It's like it needs to burp or something. Anybody else notice this?

Gas mileage is always tricky...You must not top off your tank...You should fill at the same station, if not the same pump, fill till it stops and quit...(you should never top off BTW...) and you should average over a couple tanks to get an accurate number....

I get 21-24mpg consistently...over the last 2 years...80% city...I just got 25mpg with about 1/2 tank on highway driving..

I allways fill up to the cap, and it's almost 5 litres more...and I only go to the same gas station (I can count on my fingers the number of times I've had to go elsewhere), same pump.

I asked a Mazda tech if topping off is bad or good, he told me it was bad in the old days, now makes no difference. I've been doing it on 3 cars, since 1990, never had a problem.

My average, after 6 years, nearly 169000km, is 8.4L/100km. My wife's 2000 Civic can yield 6.5L/100 all the time.

Gas mileage is always tricky...You must not top off your tank...You should fill at the same station, if not the same pump, fill till it stops and quit...(you should never top off BTW...) and you should average over a couple tanks to get an accurate number....

I get 21-24mpg consistently...over the last 2 years...80% city...I just got 25mpg with about 1/2 tank on highway driving..

I think the key is what mods do you have, what is in the car, city or hwy, what type of gas, what is your tires' psi, do you have heavier than stock wheels, and what speed.

I typically run 90% hwy, 10% city going 60-70 mph. I usually fill up at a Shell (not sure if it has ethanol) or Royal Farms (no E10). With a little taller tires, UDP, CAI, and roof rack removed I have been averaging 29 mpg in the winter and 30.5 mpg recently. I think the car needs a wash and a wax and I could maybe bring that up to 31 mpg. I have some braking mods to install, one being cross drilled and slotted rotors. I figure that might help unsprung weight at the wheels. This should give back a little bit of power and help mpg.

I would also mention that my tires are 36 psi instead of stock 32 psi. You usually want to go higher than 32 for better gas mileage and wear but 36 psi might be too high, so experiment.

I got 34 mpg once, but that was because the car was loaded with two people , it was relatively flat, near sea level, and I had to slow down to 55 mph in one section of VA.

Other mods I would like to do that would help mpg would be VTCS removal, and Customer header with high flow cat.

My recent miles before the light came on was 366 miles. Given that there are two more gallons left, I could have gone another 50-60 miles. That would put me at 416-426 if I ran out of gas (not recommended).

Last edited:
Crappy mileage

When I got my car new in 99' I could get about 630 miles to the tank. My check engine light came on, it was an O2 sensor, had it replaced. 100 miles later the check engine light came on again, no O2 fault. My mileage has since dropped to about 400 miles to the tank. I get a general fault code and have no idea where to start my search for my missing mileage. If anyone can help me out, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

I had my P5 for 3 years now and i pretty much do between 500 and 600 km per full tank. But last winter, it started to get absolutly crappy gas milage and performance. Turns out the driver side caliper was stuck and i was pretty much driving with the brakes on. Changed it and everything is back to normal.

When I got my car new in 99' I could get about 630 miles to the tank. My check engine light came on, it was an O2 sensor, had it replaced. 100 miles later the check engine light came on again, no O2 fault. My mileage has since dropped to about 400 miles to the tank. I get a general fault code and have no idea where to start my search for my missing mileage. If anyone can help me out, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Sorry man, there's no way you used to get even close to 44 mpg (630 mi/14.5 gal tank) in a P5. That's more than a Prius in many situations. :) You probably meant to say you could go 630km on one tank.

Last edited:
On my P5 I've noticed you can add up to about a full gallon from when the pump initially shuts off. No big deal, but it makes it hard to get accurate mileage on a single filling - you might be off on your second fill by half a gallon or so easily. It's like it needs to burp or something. Anybody else notice this?

As long as you're consistent (either always fill it 'till the pump shuts off or always put 1 gal in over that, etc.), you shouldn't have any problems. You're just dividing the miles you drove by the amount of gas that you pumped.

well boys and girls, to start off with i average anywhere from 32-33MPG combo and about 35-36MPG highway driving. Secondly if you read the owners manual the 2.0L requires at least 91 octane fuel. It's considered the "special edition" engine.

I know this was touched on earlier, but the 2.0L engine does not make it "special". Every Protege built between 2002-2003 (and most in 2001) have a 2.0L engine. And because you're referring to 91 octane gas, I also assume you use imperial gallons, so your mileage is only in the high 20s down here in the U.S.

Let's see, my last 5 tanks:

2003.5 P5 130K miles

412.7 Miles, 13.127 Gallons: 31.44mpg
408.2 Miles, 12.982 Gallons: 31.44mpg
416.5 Miles, 12.994 Gallons: 32.05mpg
428.2 Miles, 13.090 Gallons: 32.71mpg
418.2 Miles, 13.140 Gallons: 31.83mpg

Damn winter mixture :( during the summer i was up around 33-34mpg per tank. I am a hypermiler though so I don't really count.

I usually get 640-700km/ tank depending on my driving , I get less in winter ....about 100km less per tank. Thats about 8l/100km average.

i get < then 250 now....

: ( whats wrong with my carrrrrr

my first gear is not like before. my car struggles to pull 1st gear : /

0.o I didnt know first gear was tall enough to even get a pull out of it lol.

So you're getting less than 250 miles on a tank of gas? I have no clue what could cause THAT bad of mileage.

CEL?

it did before i changed the spark plugs(p0304 misfire cylinder 4, crappy idle)

changed it and cleared it. good now.

i dont have an aggressive driving style. but my first gear is soo hard to get going. it feels like im starting in second but its first gear.

250 is ridiculous. somethings wrong but i just dont know

Try cleaning out the EGR - Air filter -the usual suspects.

oh and Seafoam that motor :) Enjoy the White Smoke show

Back