2.5 NA Cracked Cylinder Head with Oil leaking...How common is this?

Your probability claim didn’t weight this cracked cylinder head issue which is a major one. If it occurs without warranty, it’s going to be a heavy blow with $6,000 ~ $8,000 repair to the CX-5 owner. Just look at recent legit posts reporting the cracked head problem, and how upset they are.

I also believe we should encourage people who have had cracked head problem to report the issue to the NHTSA. Not the other way around and bury the head in the sand.

The severity of the problem is not what @HardRightEdg is referring to.

There are threads that suggest contacting the NHTSA regarding these issues. I know there is one specifically for the 2.5T engine that includes how and why they should be reported. There is not one person who is telling people to "bury their heads in the sand".

This "alleged" problem is very rare indeed, and almost non-existent in Europe with this same engine (2.5L NA). Idem, with CD.
May I suggest that @yrwei52 stops beating a dead horse.
Last time I checked, Ukraine is still a part of Europe.

Mazda 3 Skyactiv-G 2.5 N/A with C/D (2019 year 20.000 km.) - really interesting and detailed process of removing the head and welding the crack. He is speaking Russian but everything is clear without a verbal explanation:

Thread unlocked. Please be wary of what you post and how you interact with others. This thread is being monitored very closely.

On a more + note, i did my first oil change since Mazda replaced my head in January and I did not see anything shiny in the drained oil. Just cheap dino oii. I will check again in a few months just before warranty is out and I might do a compression test too. Just cause they replace the head does not mean the block/piston/rings did not get harmed from low oil driving.

Attachments

• License Plate.jpg
    License Plate.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 79
Actually, this car came from the US - if you noticed it has CA license plate, probably he bought it at auction...
Wow, someone in Ukraine went through all the troubles and imported a US Mazda3? I wonder how did he certify the emission and lighting to the Euro standard? Not to mention the current car price in US can be more expensive than in EU.

Hello everyone I resently bought to my dad a 2018 cx5 2.0 without CD with 30000 miles German edition.Should be worried about my choice.The vehicle have a year or 13000 miles warranty.I'm really concern about the problem with the head. Thank you very much.

Hello everyone I resently bought to my dad a 2018 cx5 2.0 without CD with 30000 miles German edition.Should be worried about my choice.The vehicle have a year or 13000 miles warranty.I'm really concern about the problem with the head. Thank you very much.
Do not worry. This so-called problem is almost not existing in Europe.

Your odds are better than a Honda.

2018 CX-5 2.0 without CD with 30000 miles “German edition”? I suppose you meant you’re in Germany, and I don’t believe Mazda offered the 2.0L on 2018 CX-5 in the US either.

Mazda’s 2.0L is the first SkyActiv-G engine coming out in 2012 worldwide. It doesn’t use problematic cylinder deactivation and it’s very reliable. I’ve never seen any reports of major engine problems so far on the 2.0L including cracked cylinder head. It doesn’t use heavy balance shaft found in subsequent SkyActiv-G 2.5L and 2.5T, and IMO it’s the best and most reliable SkyActiv-G engine by Mazda.

So no need to worry about your newly purchased CX-5 2,0L without CD on major engine problems.

Thank you everyone for the fast answers.When I right my homework for the car I insisted to be 2.0.Its automatic AWD, I couldnt find with manual.When I buy a second hand car I'm trying to pik up not so overengeneering and complex vehicles.Wish you luck to all.

Most probably TS is located in Europe? FYI: almost every European country has their own different CX-5 "trim-levels", ie. other names with different options. Names vary between countries.
Ever heard of the Swiss CX-5 "Ambition AWD, Advan, Revolution" ? The French CX-5 : "Phase II, Dynamique" ? In Spain : "Center-Line Plus, Exclusive-Line" and so forth.
Hope this helps you since you never heard of a German Edition.
2018 CX-5 2.0 without CD with 30000 miles “German Edition”? I’ve never heard this CX-5 “German Edition”, and I don’t believe Mazda offered the 2.0L on 2018 CX-5 in US either. Where are you located?

Thank you everyone for the fast answers.When I right my homework for the car I insisted to be 2.0.Its automatic AWD, I couldnt find with manual.When I buy a second hand car I'm trying to pik up not so overengeneering and complex vehicles.Wish you luck to all.
Yes you made a right decision getting a simple and reliable 2.0L by Mazda. I was afraid you would get a used Mazda 2.2L diesel which is problematic as the diesel is much more popular in Europe.

Yeh it’d be very nice to get a 6-speed manual. I guess Europeans really like to drive the stick shift as I found almost every average car I’ve seen in my recent Euro trip has manual transmission, and they may not want to give up their car with manual easily! Have your dad enjoy the CX-5 2.0L auto AWD and keep up the maintenance!

Yes you made a right decision getting a simple and reliable 2.0L by Mazda. I was afraid you would get a used Mazda 2.2L diesel which is problematic as the diesel is much more popular in Europe.

Yeh it’d be very nice to get a 6-speed manual. I guess Europeans really like to drive the stick shift as I found almost every average car I’ve seen in my recent Euro trip has manual transmission, and they may not want to give up their car with manual easily! Have your dad enjoy the CX-5 2.0L auto AWD and keep up the maintenance!
- The problem with the Mazda 2.2 Diesel has been solved several years ago, so there is no need to beat a dead horse.
- As per the German CX-5 Forum, most of the CX-5 are sold with an automatic transmission.

- The problem with the Mazda 2.2 Diesel has been solved several years ago, so there is no need to beat a dead horse.
Have you ever seen any official document that Mazda has resolved any of the many 2.2L diesel major issues, such as sudden overheating、broken oil pump chain、premature cam lobe wear、early turbo charger failure? I’d imagine some of them should have been fixed with updated parts, but you can’t fix the design flaws of the entire engine, especially the sudden overheating issue. All of these problems seems to be taking some time to expose, hence when @martin1988 was looking for a used car, he’s correct trying to find “not so overengeneering and complex” vehicles, certainly not an engine with a history of major problems even if Mazda has truly “fixed” all of those major engine problems on new MYs. He’s looking for a used car, period.

I lost the confidence on Mazda’s 2.2L diesel when Mazda simply just dropped the most popular 2.2L diesel engine on all new Mazda vehicles for sale in Taiwan, when the government responded the protests by many disappointed Mazda diesel owners with a mandatory lifetime diesel engine replacement warranty on overheating offered by Mazda Taiwan. No confidence to its own 2.2D? What’s to hide?

- As per the German CX-5 Forum, most of the CX-5 are sold with an automatic transmission.
Good to know. I thought it should be easy to find a CX-5 with 2.0L and 6-speed manual in Europe since the stick shift is so popular there. We even had such combination in early days when the CX-5 was for sale in the US. The AWD could be the key as I’ve never seen the manual / AWD combination on the CX-5.

If you want AWD 2.0 and manuel the choise is much more smaller .The manuel is cheeper when you order a new car and more people want to save money so they dont have a AWD as an option.

Most probably TS is located in Europe? FYI: almost every European country has their own different CX-5 "trim-levels", ie. other names with different options. Names vary between countries.
Ever heard of the Swiss CX-5 "Ambition AWD, Advan, Revolution" ? The French CX-5 : "Phase II, Dynamique" ? In Spain : "Center-Line Plus, Exclusive-Line" and so forth.
Hope this helps you since you never heard of a German Edition.
By "German edition" I mean the car is made for german market.I'm from Eastern Europe and hear is very popular North America export but i was looking for european car.

Dead horse beating is pretty rampant

Back